Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni
Quote:You can continue to claim that what you say is possible. I can only tell you it contradicts everything I've ever read about the practice, including from military instructors who were training people to resist it. Nobody has ever suggested that you can override your drowning reflex. Almost everyone claims that this is simply impossible. Water hits your lungs, or your brain even suspects that water is going to hit your lungs, and your body simply reacts. You don't get a choice. You don't get to plan your ingenious resistance plan, thinking about martyrdom and whatnot. You can't just shut off the part of your brain telling you you're drowning. You just panic. Perhaps you even do pass out, from shock or panic. But you don't control it. They have you for as long as they need, and eventually, they'll keep you conscious. How many times could that possibly take? Three? A dozen? It only take a few moments to do.
This is how it was described by the USOLC in 2002, <blockquote>"In this procedure, the individual is bound securely to an inclined bench, which is approximately four feet by seven feet. The individual's feet are generally elevated. A cloth is placed over the forehead and eyes. Water is then applied to the cloth in a controlled manner. As this is done, the cloth is lowered until it covers both the nose and mouth. Once the cloth is saturated and completely covers the mouth and nose, air flow is slightly restricted for 20 to 40 seconds due to the presence of the cloth… During those 20 to 40 seconds, water is continuously applied from a height of twelve to twenty-four inches. After this period, the cloth is lifted, and the individual is allowed to breathe unimpeded for three or four full breaths… The procedure may then be repeated. The water is usually applied from a canteen cup or small watering can with a spout… You have… informed us that it is likely that this procedure would not last more than twenty minutes in any one application."</blockquote>And... I'm telling you... I would be able to resist this, even if applied daily for months if necessary. Also, I've held my breath underwater long enough to black out. Fear is a controllable thing, even in life threatening situations. I don't think everyone is wired for this, but the more experience you have with a situation, the better prepared you are to deal with it. I won't go into details, but there was a time in my life when I had to appear catatonic or unconscious to save my life. The person examining me put needles under two of my finger nails, and hit my sternum with a hammer to determine if I was faking. That subterfuge on my part bought me enough time for friendly parties to retrieve me.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni - by kandrathe - 05-19-2009, 05:27 PM