Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni
Quote:It must hurt you then, to realize that who-knows-how-many taxpayer dollars were spent to implement 'information retrieval techniques' that wouldn't even work on you <_<

I wonder though, if you would still trivialize the matter if one of your own children were subjected. Got a daughter? Imagine her nude, blindfolded and shackled, being thrown against a brick wall by men totally in control of her, as often as they like... Imagine yourself, completely powerless about the situation, and not knowing where she is, what else she has to endure, or even if you are ever going to see her again, dead or alive... Get the picture now?
I think I've been pretty clear. I don't condone torture. So, please stop the drama. My point was that some of the "horrifying" depictions of terrorists uncomfortable conditions are propaganda meant to garner sympathy. Some of the things are truly horrible, and others seem merely uncomfortable, and I have the experience to know the difference. Granted, most of the horrible things I've been through in my life have been my own choices. I endeavor to remain in control of my destiny.

Jester is correct though, I've led an interesting and complicated life and it's not over yet. :) I would say one of the hardest things I've done is go camping for 10 days in mid January in northern Minnesota. The average daytime temperature for that week was -15F. Each evening we would boil up water from the snow to fill our water bottles for the next days ski pack. You put the bottle by your feet in your sleeping bag to help thaw them out from the days trek, and by morning the bottle is frozen solid. We had no tents, just a tarp to keep the snow from falling on top of you. I don't remember ever being so cold for so long, and how wonderful it was to finally be able to take a warm bath again. But, then again, there are people who trek the arctic, or antarctic for much longer periods of time. In my experience, acute suffering is bearable, but chronic suffering is where my will power would wane away.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni - by kandrathe - 05-19-2009, 09:01 PM