Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni
Quote:I guess, being the skeptic, before jumping to the conclusion that it is outrageous, I would want to know the suicide rate at Gitmo in proportion to say the suicide rate in other prisons. From what I've read on the topic, many of the detainees have been attempting to kill themselves from the first day they arrived. And, in a way, they've been suicidal martyrs even before they were incarcerated. Do you think that doing so might just be another part of their struggle?
Wouldn't you need some kind of assumption about the numbers that are innocent vs. guilty to make that kind of question sensical?

Someone who was thrown in Gitmo on bogus suspicion would obviously not be continuing a "struggle" they never were a part of, but I can certainly see the motive for suicide.

It appears that the actual suicide rate (for completed suicides) is staggeringly low, but suicide attempts seem quite high. This is probably an issue of the degree of control, and may suggest that comparisons with normal prison populations would be impractical.

-Jester

Messages In This Thread
Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni - by Jester - 06-03-2009, 10:01 AM