Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni
Quote:That would need to also be a factor, yes. However, if you knew with certainty that a person was innocent, then why would they continue to be incarcerated. The studies I've seen suggest that the "innocent" who are locked up are the most compliant prisoners (already being "different" from the guilty prisoners). My presumption would be that innocent people would be less inclined to suicide attempts, although they would probably feel most justified in trying to escape. Also, I would expect the suicide rates in all prisons to be higher than the general population as people who commit crimes suffer already from a level of anti-social isolation.
I would imagine the opposite. "Compliant" means they hope to get a fair shake and get the hell out of there; after a certain point, that turns to hopelessness, and thus to suicide. "Non-compliant" means they're combative, and far more likely to try and escape. Plus, the innocent person has something to lose, their reputation for compliance. The guilty are (in all likelihood) going to be punished if they stay anyway, and so have incentive to escape.

-Jester

Messages In This Thread
Should civilized nations use "Enhanced Interrogation" techni - by Jester - 06-03-2009, 07:40 PM