"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11&
Well, perhaps you should clarify what the merits of earning the reward that Rush Limbaugh won entailed. Although I might be considered one of those liberal-leaning minded persons, I feel that I'm very open to opposing viewpoints. I don't see how labeling Fahrenheit 9/11 as a liberal comedy instantly discounts it from being considered a work of art.

If you've seen it then you probably could argue it. However, as it stands, genre does not discount a piece of work from being considered art. After taking numerous film classes, I was taught that there were numerous aspects in making a film that had to be taken in consideration to keep audience interest besides the subject material. Angles, lighting, color, editing, balance when it comes to objects and people on the screen. Those aspects that make a shot visually appealing are not restricted by genre.

I'm not saying anything about Fahrenheit 9/11 in terms of it deserving the award on its artistic merits, but obviously it is something worth watching and interpreting as to whether both the message and the delivery make it a good film or not. By the reaction of the audience, it seems to have been received well so I believe it to be at least worth considering as recommended viewing material.

"[Festival artistic director] Thierry Fremaux has confirmed that it was the longest standing ovation in the history of the film festival!" gloated Miramax chief Harvey Weinstein at a seaside party for the movie. Entertainment Weekly reports the ovation at having lasted 25 minutes after the showing.

No arguments about liberals versus conservatives here, people. It's a film. The subject might be controversial, but if you want to have an opinion of it as a piece of art, why not go see it for yourself first?

-Grim-
Kwansu, dudes! - A whole bunch of Patu San citizens.

Messages In This Thread
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by BigGrim - 05-24-2004, 06:39 AM
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Guest - 06-03-2004, 04:40 AM
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Guest - 06-03-2004, 04:26 PM
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Guest - 08-02-2004, 02:27 PM