"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11&
The other problem I have that comes out of this prisoner abuse is that if they really were using bad buildings and reservists for this wrok, it gets me worrying that the people in the government aren't willing to spend the money, time, and energy needed to get Iraq rebuilt, and also that the war was started without really planning for the rebuilding. If they realy are, good for them, but it doesn't look like it.Here I think the problem comes from how people elect the government. Instead of really thinking about issues, they either yell out ideaology crap like"lower taxes" "show the U.S. isn't weak" "No U.S. casulties" "Get the terrorists" etc., so the people who get elected are the ones who are best at pretending to be miracle workers instead of the ones who run the government based on what it really can and can't do. In this example, starting the war and rebuilding Iraq well will take a lot of money, and a lot of people to go over there and do the building and fighting. The war and rebuilding probably wasn't planned well because spending time planning doesn't seem as macho as ruching in there, and spending a lot of money is out because tax cuts are needed. So instead of getting a rebuilding that seems to be going well and also helps the U.S. with the rest of the world, we get this prisoner abuse thing which throws away a lot of people's opinion of the U.S. government, caused partially because there aren't enough people working over there.

What I'm hoping more for is people in the government to make plans based on how practical they are, not based on the best possible way they could turn out. I also hope when people in general vote on issues they think about what's important to them, how important it is compared to other issues, and what the best ways to get the most of what they want are without expecting the government to do everything.

Not related to Iraq, another issue I hope people push the govewrnment on is making it run more effeciently. an example is instead of whining that social programs waste money, someone could figure out what wastes the money and get it to waste less, and/or come up with new programs that get similar results as the other social programs but cost less. These wochanges would realistically happen bit by bit but would after awhile save tons of money while keeping the government working at the same level.

Edit: changed the tone of second paragraph, added extra one.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)

Messages In This Thread
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Guest - 06-03-2004, 04:40 AM
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Guest - 06-03-2004, 04:26 PM
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Guest - 08-02-2004, 02:27 PM
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Minionman - 08-03-2004, 04:21 PM