"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11&
Kandrathe, Aug 4 2004, 07:51 PM Wrote:Many of the detainee's in Abu Garib and Guantanamo are not POW's, so in a strict legal sense the GC does not apply. They should be treated humanely, but I disagree that they should not be aggressively interrogated. We are not fighting the Boy Scouts here, many of these people are ruthless terrorists. I would prefer we could all act civilized, but we need to realistically look at who we are dealing with here. Unfortunately, Abu Garib happened, and that was a mistake -- those responsible are being held accountable.

The attitude of "they are terrorists, so everyone else can sink to a lower level" coming from enough people is much more supportive of abu garib than the idea of they should be dealt wiht like others, and that attitude probably helped abu garib happen. If the U.S. is supposed to be one of the freer countries on the planet, I say since people in it think terrorism is an important issue, they should focus on ways of handling it by loosing as little of the freedoms as possible, which partially means keeping prisoner abuse low. Considering that a lot of people hate the U.S. because they think of it as a bad place in general, people here have to prove that it isn't, and the prisoner abuse and the attitude about terrorists help show the opposite.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)

Messages In This Thread
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Guest - 06-03-2004, 04:40 AM
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Guest - 06-03-2004, 04:26 PM
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Guest - 08-02-2004, 02:27 PM
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Minionman - 08-04-2004, 10:26 PM