"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11&
Nystul,Aug 5 2004, 12:21 AM Wrote:For those libertarians who don't want government control, instead of tellign people to get guns, help organize buisinesses, better schools, etc. that get less people going criminal instead of waiting for them to go criminal than hoping to shoot, stab, beat up ,etc. them befre they get you.

Unless you can show some indication that reducing crime and preserving the right to bear arms are mutually exclusive, this is going nowhere.  You may as well say that people should stop using anti-virus software, because the real solution is to create a world where nobody would want to make a virus.
I was just agreeing with and adding to what Chaerphon said. The right to have guns has nothing to do with the feeling people have that they need guns to deal with crime. If few people feel a need to make a virus of their own free will, there will be less viruses and the viruses won't be at good at what they do.

The libertarian quote is from the post I replied to which wrote libertarian in it. Because libertarians are supposedto want less government, I'm writing ways they can lower crime without getting the government involved and without the "everyone for themself" type of opinion than the "getting guns and protect yourself" is.

And about your anti-virus software analogy, if there weren't nearly this many viruses, there wouldn't be as big a need for antivirus software taking up computer space, and people who aren't as smart with computers, even some who are, get them screwed up by viruses. Most viruses are supposed to get made by borec people, and I'm sure there are useful things that need people with those kinds of skills to do with computers. The internet will run better than it does now and less computers will get screwed up than the situation now when everyone needs anti-virus. Switching to crime now, there are plenty of areas where people feel they don't need guns so obviously it is possible, and I think it should be aimed for.

I don't feel like turing this into two people repeating the same stuff, so if we start repeating the same stuff, I'll be stopping posting. This is just an explanation of how I'll be writing, I'm not trying to threaten or trash talk.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)

Messages In This Thread
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Guest - 06-03-2004, 04:40 AM
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Guest - 06-03-2004, 04:26 PM
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Guest - 08-02-2004, 02:27 PM
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Minionman - 08-05-2004, 12:55 AM