Methinks this forum software hates me.
Well, recently, I started posting here again(curse my luck, I have to go back to the Army for reservist training the same week 1.10 is released! I'm gonna miss the first 3 weeks of ladder play!), and I've noticed a couple of problems(might just be my IE, which has lately started freezing if I have multiple windows and click on one or another in the bottom taskbar)

1) I have to reload the forums because the code is not being interpreted properly the first time around(basically, the a href stuff will show up truncated, and the first post in that particular thread will be messed up)

2) I'm getting "illegal operation" windows, forcing me to close IE and restart it. This can happen for any number of reasons, among them, clicking on the thread to read it, trying to open the thread into a new window, or even posting.

I'd appreciate if you forwarded any replies into this forum's message box for my account, or into my email(this to Bolty), since I might not be around for a couple of weeks, starting the 3rd of November(the aforementioned reservist training)

Good hunting to all, and may your blades/fireballs/bone spirits be soaked in the blood of cheaters, hackers, and assorted *beeps* ,
AKK
AtomicKitKat,Oct 28 2003, 07:44 PM Wrote:1) I have to reload the forums because the code is not being interpreted properly the first time around(basically, the a href stuff will show up truncated, and the first post in that particular thread will be messed up)
Howdy Lurkers.

I selected this post for reply as I'm having difficulties of my own and the topic title seems quite appropriate. Also, I quoted a bit of AtomicKitKat's post just to see how it works.

I attempted to join yesterday under the account ZatarRufus. I received the email, tried the links given, and I am still listed as 'Validating'.

I'd prefer to use that account as it has my home email address. (This one is using a work one.)

Does anyone know how I can get the ZatarRufus account validated? When I created this account (Rufus) it went as smooth as one could ask for.

Thanks.
Rufus,Oct 31 2003, 02:23 PM Wrote:>Does anyone know how I can get the ZatarRufus account validated?
Re-Howdy Lurkers.

I'm guessing either an admin handled the situation or the electronic signals arrived via Mars and the process has been completed. I appear to have Member status and posting privileges. :D

I will apologize from the get-go that Windows based posting and forums are new to me. I'm attracted to this site for the overall quality content and the helpful nature of the members. (I've been lurking about three months.)

ZatarRufus

P.S. I'm going to post this, then change my signature which I was able to create whilst still in validation status. Next I'll change it and post again. What I intend to discover is whether the signature of a posted post is embedded or does the signature work as a look-up feature. (I'm guessing the former.)

P.P.S. I do hope this testing is acceptable by the community.
"Nothing unreal exists."
-- Kiri-kin-tha
nt

(Or should that be the subject line? (But since I've typed this, it is no longer true.)) <_<

Edit: The FAQ suggests vlt in this case.
"Nothing unreal exists."
-- Kiri-kin-tha
ZatarRufus,Oct 31 2003, 06:06 PM Wrote:... or does the signature work as a look-up feature.
I guessed wrong. It is a look-up which changed the already established post. :blink:

I've many things to learn about the physical abilities/quirks of the system.

For instance:
1. How to embed a link. Just type it in & magically it becomes a link?
2. How to quote from multiple posts as I've seen done. Second browser window?
3. I'll leave number (numeral?) three for editing as if I'd made a tpyo.
Edit: Yep, definately a typo.
Edit2: Testing if multiple edits are possible. (Yes.)

ZatarRufus

03.11.02.23.10 Edit3: Signature is definately a look-up feature. Changing it days later still alters established posts. :huh:
"Nothing unreal exists."
-- Kiri-kin-tha
This time I'm attempting to change the subject line. Prior try probably did not work since I was quoting. (Working hypothesis.)

The preview post does not show any subject line. Or am I missing it? Ah, it is resetting when I do the preview. Revising test. Will change subject line and post with out previewing.

Edit: Yes, that is the case. [Mental note: Type text body, preview, and as final step; alter subject line if so desired.]
"Nothing unreal exists."
-- Kiri-kin-tha
Howdy ZatarRufus! Welcome to the Lounge...er, the Suggestion Box...ahem. Glad to see that one of the new posters was a lurker for a bit first, then you also had wonderful spelling/grammar. Your testing is fine, just as long as it doesnt clog the forums, i.e., creating a new thread just for testing. Again, welcome and enjoy your stay! :)
WWBBD?
Quote:1. How to embed a link. Just type it in & magically it becomes a link?

Use the "http://" button up top. The "quote" button is for posts, and you will need a new browser window to quote from multiple posts.

You can't change the title of an individual post, unfortunately. The ability to title posts at all comes with the "threaded hack", so it's not really part of the invision board package.

Oh, and welcome! :)

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Yrrek,Oct 31 2003, 10:48 PM Wrote:Your testing is fine, just as long as it doesnt clog the forums, i.e., creating a new thread just for testing.
Thanks Yrrek. Having previously read (and recently re-read) the FAQ, Rules, & Ettiquitte items, I deliberately did not start a new topic. I've learned basic posting and quoting skills and in time I will be able to master the finer details of the forum software. In my lurking days, I used the standard view, but with two different times I saw threaded view mentioned, I decided to give it a whirl. At first it was frustrating as I didn't understand why all the posts I'd previously read were listed as un-read. I'm guessing that once one changes their default to threaded view, one must re-see the posts. Any tips are appreciated.

On another note, "IIRC" gave me difficulties for a long time. Most other acronyms were fairly easy to infer, but this one stumped me. I did a search for it and found it used roughly a zillion and seven times, but without an interpretation. Weeks later (slow brain) I decided to search for 'abbreviations' and was rewarded with a post containing a link to a useful list.

I just noticed that newer replies in this thread are visable to me while I'm typing. I'm going to reply to Griselda in this post so as not to be overposting or 'bumping' the thread too much.

Quoting Griselda: "You can't change the title of an individual post"

No? I think I already did prove that. Are we talking about the same thing? I meant the individual post I'm currently creating. Are you, perhaps, referring to the thread title itself?

Edit: Tpyo found.
"Nothing unreal exists."
-- Kiri-kin-tha
Quote:No? I think I already did prove that. Are we talking about the same thing? I meant the individual post I'm currently creating. Are you, perhaps, referring to the thread title itself?

What I meant was that you can't change the title to a post after you've posted, afaik (as far as I know). That is, when you hit "edit", you can edit your post, but not the post's title. Since we all know that typos generally don't appear until after you hit "post", that explains all the typos in post titles.

The moderators can change the thread titles, but individual users can't.

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Griselda,Oct 31 2003, 11:01 PM Wrote:Use the "http://" button up top.
ok? My Webpage

Nope. That's not what I intended to happen.

I'd like to be able to embed a link to another post within the lounge. For instance, while I was in the Workshop I would have liked to reply to TabithaWolf with a link to the same topic in Atma's Tavern (concerning when to do the Ancients). How might I do that? I clicked the http:// button, but it then expects me to provide the rest of the URL. And no browse button is available. I know it can be done since many regulars here have employed it quite nicely.

If there happens to be a link to the ins and outs of this board's software, please let me know. I will go read it. (And I just realized I could click on the invision link that I've seen somewhere here. Would that provide a user's manual which would alleviate all my n00b postings?)
"Nothing unreal exists."
-- Kiri-kin-tha
You are correct, registered members cannot change the title of a thread if they are only replying. Indeed, the only way to change the title of a thread throughout the entire forum system is to take a stroll through the database. ;)

The newest version of Invision, v.1.3, is a little nicer, imho. With it, the independent threads are listed by search engines, and search engine bots can be given members status. However, the only downfall is that php includes are not allowed unless you perform some major modifications, modifications which are more complicated than they were with < 1.3 versions.

I'd also like to add that I really like this skin. :)
Hey AKK,

Quote:...I've noticed a couple of problems(might just be my IE...

What version of IE are you using? In the 'Lounge Bugs Lurking' thread I started a bit further down, we had started discussing some problems with the new hosting not playing nice with Mozilla 1.2.1 and 1.4, but doing ok with IE 5.5. This is a slightly different problem - some pages don't render at all for me, while others render fine. In your case, it seems that some forum threads only partially render, If I read your post correctly. Did the forums ever do this sort of thing to your IE before?

If anyone else has a suggestion about what might cause this, or has a similar bug to report, I'd like to see it. Perhaps, if we can collect a bit of data about what might be causing this, we can help troubleshoot the problem so Bolty can get it fixed.

Thanks,
-V-