Death, experinece and leveling up
I have started playing D2-LOD and died for the first time while in act 2. This brought up a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers to on The Arreat Summit or here. I may have just missed it, but I couldn't find a detailed description of what happens when you die. I understand that you lose money and experinece, but was wondering about the details. The part I thought was strange and possibly a bug was as follows: When I died I had just leveled up to 17 and the experinece lose dropped me to a 16. It wasn't much of a lose, and I was soon a 17 again, but I was given a new skill point and 5 attribute point to distribute. I am not sure, but I looked through my skills and I don't think that I lost a skill (or attribute points) when I died and dropped a level. If they gave me a skill point and attribute points when I leveled up to 17 again, its like getting two skill points and ten attribute points for getting to 17. This seems like it would let someone just die repeatedly and get the benefits of leveling up with much less work. Is this true, or was I mistaken in what happened? If this is true, it would seem like a big bug.

Kawayanan
Something in your game save file must have been bugged, or you are misremembering. The experience you lose is based on a % of how much you have gotten since your last level, thus it can't drop you below your current level. Also, in normal, there is no exp. loss for death. It only starts in NM. To make sure about the skill point thing, count up all the skills you have. If you have done Radament, add 1 skill point to your level. This is how many skill points you should have. (Unless you skipped the Den of Evil)
Ok, sorry about that. I do seem to have the right number of skill points. Must have been sleepy late last night when I thought I leveled to 17 twice.

I did get the Horadric Cube which has been very usefull in cleaning out my stash of a lot of collected chipped gems. I was reading on Arreat Summit, and the make a point of saying "You cannot place a Horadric Cube within a Horadric Cube, imagine that..." Can you actually get more than one Horadric Cube? That would be usefull for storage reasons.

Thanks again.

Kawayanan
If you try to pick up a cube, but you already have one, your character gives you one of those "I can't" messages. At least, I'm pretty sure that that's how it works now, but it may have been different in earlier patches. Having a bunchof cubes to triple your stash space would be really handy, though. :P
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
It was different in the very early patches. I think 1.01 or 1.02 fixed something related to that... Some people could get a bunch of cubes and put them within each other. At least that's how my very fuzzy memory is...

Selby
Actually if you have two cubes and put one cube within the other then both cubes will have a cube inside them taking up 2x2 space.(I hope this makes sense.)
War_Master_Ares,Oct 25 2003, 10:34 PM Wrote:Actually if you have two cubes and put one cube within the other then both cubes will have a cube inside them taking up 2x2 space.(I hope this makes sense.)
Uh, you're not allowed to hold more than one cube with any given character.
Great truths are worth repeating:

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24
GenericKen,Oct 26 2003, 08:17 AM Wrote:Uh, you're not allowed to hold more than one cube with any given character.
Did you read the other posts in this thread? ;-)

If you cheat in some way to give yourself two horadric cubes, you find out that both of them "point" to the same 3x4 space anyway, so you don't get increased cube storage space, just two ways to access the same bit of storage.
I've been playing since day 1 and you could never ever carry 2 cubes much less put one inside of the other.
Signatures suck
lfd,Oct 26 2003, 03:48 AM Wrote:If you cheat in some way to give yourself two horadric cubes, you find out that both of them "point" to the same 3x4 space anyway, so you don't get increased cube storage space, just two ways to access the same bit of storage.
I could do a lot of things if I cheated. :blink:
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Archon_Wing,Oct 27 2003, 03:39 PM Wrote:I could do a lot of things if I cheated.  :blink:
You don't need to cheat to know this. The save file structure shows you the same thing. I would say that most modders would know this.
In one of the first patches in classic, there was a line the addressed this specifically that said something like "You can no longer have multiple cubes on the same character" or "you can no longer put a cube inside another cube." Something to that affect anyway.