Amazon Evade Bug
Nicator,Oct 20 2003, 01:15 AM Wrote:Do you think that this problem is enough to make 5 swings miss in a zeal attack against a door?
If the pathing algorithm on the client was in sufficent dissagreement with what the server was doing for your movement, yes. You might have thought that you moved close enough to the door to be able to hit and the client might have calculated that you would be close enough to the door based on how it was having your character move, but if the server ran your movement through a slightly different movement path then the server may have considered you too far from the door to allow a hit to actually connect.

This would actually be a case for testing the actual wepon length that is being used to allow an attack versus the skill forcing some preset targeting distance on the matter. If without moving you can hit with longer weapons that would miss with a shorter length weapon, that would point to the skill handling its targeting without properly taking into account the actual reach of the weapon.
Good explanation, I accept it. For what is worth, I have noticed those misses mainly in the following scenario (about 16 engagements during the last two weeks):

Character: Paladin level 86, 87.
Weapon: Lightsabre (ITD attribute on it).
Aura: Level 21 Fanaticism
Combat skill: Level 22 Zeal
Attack speed: 8 frames, 4 frames per zeal swing.
Chances to hit: >80%, above 9k AR.
Other items: Atma's Scarab, chances to cast Amplify Damage, 350% ED to demons on Laying of Hands gloves.
Elemental Damage: 2-280 lightning, 8-10 cold, 100 poison.
Other damage modifiers: 70% Crushing Blow, 30% Deadly Strike.
Mercenary: Act 5 barbarian.
Weapon: Fury ethereal BB.

Game: Hell, players 8.
Area: Outer Steppes, Act 4.

Target: Poison and Physical Immune demon corpse spitter boss.

Description: After finishing his minions and other intruders, I have attacked the boss. The mercenary's attacks cornered him. Once cornered, the stun effect has been almost continuous. After 2 or 3 zeal attacks, AD on the boss, removing his PI. Combats lasted around 6 minutes each.

While pressing continuously the attack bottom, from every 10 zeal attacks, I had time to count them, I had 1 or 2 missing all 5 swings. No such effect when not pressing it continuously, other than some pain on my finger <_< . Of course, the mercenary kept attacking the boss and getting some movement on him, although the boss couldn't handle more than 1 attack, at most, per minute on the paladin.

I noticed almost the same when fighting PI Lister, although I handn't the cool head to take numbers on those 2 ocassions.
[Image: 37671-NicatorSig0326.jpg]

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War
re: post above.

so this was online, i take it, with those uber items?! then there's 2 possible dislocation explanations:

1) the barb merc has bash, doesn't he, so he could of "moved it" out of range of your attacks, if maybe the boss moved for a split second?

2) did you have fps on all the time, so you could see if your ping went up and down? even with just 100 ping monsters can get dislocated, and with packet loss(which won't show up with fps) it will happen very easily.

if not dislocated, if you had a major ping/packet loss problem, then what happens is your client can attack 100 times, but since you don't make contact with the server, those attacks are never transmitted.

also, since i don't remember you mentioning it: if you shift attack against mid air, the game will aim for you. if you have a good range weapon(try a range 5 weapon), this makes zeal incredibly good.
Quote:so this was online, i take it, with those uber items?!

Single player. About uber, yes I think Lightsabre, Guardian Angel, Gore Riders and Guillame's Face combinations is uber, although most people at realms said I had newbie items, and I doubt I would get more than 3 sojs for them. People just don't like a screen reporting ~1.2k damage per attack ;)

Quote:then there's 2 possible dislocation explanations:

I agree. And I must add that I dont mind missing one or two swings, but it's annoying to miss over 24 frames. Last night I played that paladin again, and listening to those 5 consecutive misses is a pain.

Quote:if you have a good range weapon(try a range 5 weapon), this makes zeal incredibly good.

Ahhh, wishes, wishes. I would like to try at least a range 4 one hand fast weapon ;)

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
hehe, i played my hammerdin a bit yesterday and first gambled a 5-76 damage SHORT BOW(with chance to cast amp and +1500 ar), and then ariocs needle(with +4 all skills) when for the first time beating baal, this thing does more than my hammers: like 5k average, and has huge range ;) [/brag]

maybe i'll try out the misses with it.

oh erh..another thing. i can't be bothered to check what you mentioned your ar is, but ITD only works against normal monsters. and some monsters have block, although that's very few. also stone skin monsters get 3x(or maybe it was +300%) ar, a few more explanations.
Quote:oh erh..another thing. i can't be bothered to check what you mentioned your ar is, but ITD only works against normal monsters. and some monsters have block, although that's very few. also stone skin monsters get 3x(or maybe it was +300%) ar, a few more explanations.

Oh, I wasn't aware on ITD working only on normal monsters, so thanks for the hint. Nonetheless, I would still like it if it comes from free. About the AR, I just wanted to include all helpful information about the scenario. How I got that AR? +200 dex, max zeal, max fanat, lvl 23 enchant.