Gogo gadget Mouse Wheel Up?
I feel rather silly for needing to ask this question, but I'll persevere nonetheless. Also, if this is the incorrect forum, feel free to berate me mercilessly; I don't start posts often. :P

My issue is this: somehow, I lost the mapping of "Mouse Wheel Up" and "Mouse Wheel Down" to the Next and Previous Skills within the Configure Controls screen. Don't ask me how they came to be set to "None"; I have no idea. Initially, the solution seemed obvious: highlight action, scroll mouse wheel in appropriate direction. However, this was patently ineffectual, aside from the cute clicking noises. I also attempted to reset the default controls, but the default, it turns out, does not involve my mouse wheel. Outside of Diablo II, though, I can scroll with my mouse wheel perfectly, so I don't think that it's a hardware issue.

So, here I am, having played this game for nearly two years, and I can no longer effectively switch between my skills. Well, of course, I could finally learn how to lay out my skill hotkeys, true, but I'm too lazy and my current keyboard setup is too ingrained to comfortably do so. And I paid good money for this mouse wheel! Relatively. I'm a college student, work with me here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Fenris
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
USEAST HCL: Huntermentalist (72), Werewolf (27)
Single Player HC: Werewolf (61, deceased), Werewolf (24)
do you play in windowed mode? i notice i get a double action in windowed for wheel(which makes the inven/char select i got pretty useless), i can't seem to fix that in any way. erh, try full-screen and see if it works then.

also you should look in your mouse settings how your mousewheel is set up, at least for logitech mice there's several ways, mess around with those settings.

lastly you could hex-edit your character file(or whatever file saves your key setup), try asking here. although that might not fix it since if you can't configure them from the options the game probably doesn't detect the wheel actions at all.
I play in Full Screen mode already, so I don't think that should be an issue...although, hm, if you're getting double action with your mouse wheel when you're windowed, maybe the same mode would at least give me some single action. :P

Now, I do have a Logitech mouse (good guess!), but perhaps I'm looking in the wrong Mouse Settings section, because I didn't see anything through the Control Panel that related to my mouse wheel. I turned off a Ctrl-key cursor locator, but I can't imagine that's the source of the problem (though I will check it out in-game in a few minutes). Is there any Logitech-specific mouse software that's loaded in automatically and hidden away somewhere?

I'll check over at the Phrozen Keep next, but I'm quite the novice at hex-editing characters (well, less than a novice, since I've never done it before), so I don't know how effective that would be. But we'll see.

Thanks very much for your suggestions!

- Fenris
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
Quote:I'll check over at the Phrozen Keep next, but I'm quite the novice at hex-editing characters (well, less than a novice, since I've never done it before), so I don't know how effective that would be. But we'll see.

hehe, i only know the word, nothing else ;) i meant you should only ask a question on that board, nothing else. there's some really smart people there.

i'm using windows 98, i have no idea what it's like in later versions. but with my logitech mouse(hehe, and this was like 2-3 years ago ;)) i got an install disk with "mouseware", there you can configure each mouse button to do exactly what you want, and also mouse acceleration and update rate and some different configs on how the wheel is going to work.

it's accessed for me in control panel - mouse, the software overwrites the normal one there. logitech.com should have it.
Ditto on that adamantine. There is a setting where you can make your mouse wheel scroll zero-to-infinate pages per rotation of your wheel. If your skills were passing like 3 at a time instead of 1 at a time, I'd say this was what your problem was, but since it simply seems to not exist on D2, I'd say there is some sort of error on D2's side. You might want to attempt a simple reinstall.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Actually, MEAT, it turned out that adamantine was exactly on the right track, as far as the Logitech software went; installing MouseWare (which replaces the Control Panel Mouse program) fixed the issue entirely. Where I think that I went wrong:

I actually had recently switched mice, when I came back to college. I didn't think too much of it, because my old mouse and new mouse look exactly the same; I only switched so that I could give my old mouse back to the friend who had loaned it to me. However, even if the model was essentially the same, I think that they still must have put some upgrades into this new mouse I bought, namely that it had extra mouse wheel support (through the MouseWare program). Without the program installed, then, I guess Diablo didn't know what to do with the mouse wheel, so it just ignored it.

So, problem solved, and I'm back to my lazy skill-scrolling ways. :) Thanks a ton for your help!

- Fenris