Lineage II
I just saw this website with infos, screenshots and trailers for the successor to the very successful (Korean) MMOG "Lineage" by NCSoft. It's called "Lineage II" and the U.S. (North America) Beta should start SOON™:

http://www.lineage2.com

The media materials featured there look very impressive, so don't miss to take a close look :)

[Image: ss_full_31.jpg]
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
They beat people up and do real life robberies in Korea over Lineage 1.

Im not sure if that says anything about the game or not.
I travel to Korea for work quite a bit and it is realy a big thing over there. I will be there next week. They have net gaming places all over the place.

BRAD :D
...on a related note, the Halflife 2 source code was stolen this week!!!

http://www.halflife2.net/
I played the korean beta and except for the graphics the game was nothing special.
Signatures suck
The game looks pretty, but I immediately lost interest when I found out that it's a class-based game, instead of being skill-based. I've played enough MMORPG's to know when a game is going to be the same old crap, and class-based gameplay is the first sign.
Omni,Oct 13 2003, 09:14 AM Wrote:The game looks pretty, but I immediately lost interest when I found out that it's a class-based game, instead of being skill-based. I've played enough MMORPG's to know when a game is going to be the same old crap, and class-based gameplay is the first sign.
Can you elaborate a bit on that? I have no clue what "class-based" in MMOG's means, and why it may not be good.
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Well, D2 is another example of a class-based game. You have a few character classes to choose from, each with its own set of skills. In D2, the classes' skillsets are diverse enough to allow for, say, melee Sorceresses, but for whatever reason MMORPG's aren't nearly as flexible. In Dark Age of Camelot, for example, there are, at most, 3-4 ways to play any given class, and for many classes there is only one viable way to build a character.

In a skill-based game, on the other hand, you can pick and choose from a larger pool of skills. Imagine a character in D2 who attacked with Whirlwind and Vengeance, defended with Energy Shield and Oak Sage, and dropped a few extra points into Fire Golem for a minion. Skill-based games tend to be more flexible and more fun, with fewer cookie-cutter builds.

Things like classes and hit points were good ways of simplifying table-top RPG's so you weren't juggling a hundred character stats and rolling ten dice to swing a sword, but with computers we can do much better.

* Omni struggles with writer's block and gives up
Ah, ok. I see the main points here. Now, let the ultimate skill-based game come :)
By the way, how does WOW fit into this picture - class-based, skill-based, or both?