Autorun.inf help needed
And out from the shaddows he strides scratching his head...

Greetings everyone. Once again, I have re-registered here at the Lurker Lounge, and have been "Lurking" in the shaddows for quite a while now.

I have a problem that I am trying to get going. But let me fill you in on the background of this little "project" of mine...

Our sales department has a powerpoint presentation that they burn on to CDs (well, they actually have me do it for them), and I have gotten their CD to automaticly pull up the Powerpoint presentation when the CD in inserted into the drive, but due to the complete redesign of all 4 company webistes, I want to have an Explorer/Netscape or whatever session to start and display an HTML file, which would included onto the CD. This HTML is really only for a more aesthetic look than anything, where they can either visit the company website, or play the presentation. I have the HTML document (which follows the template of the website of the company in question). The problem that I'm having is that when the CD is put into the drive, it's not pulling up the page. I've also thought about possibly putting the page on our web server, but that wouldn't help people that don't have an internet connection readily available. When I call Internet Explorer directly, and tell it to open the file in the autorun.inf, and IE returns with an error saying that it can't open file "file:///d:/index.html"

Here's what I have for the autorun.inf. Considering that I really don't do this, since it's not really my cup of tea, any help that would assist me in figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.

[AutoRun]
open=iexplorer "index.html"
icon=iexplorer.exe,0

Thanks again,
SaxyCorp
Nevermind. I figured it out. Something stupid too. The only problem was that it took me long enough to reach a point of frustration before I did it.

The problem was that I had not only posted the original version of the autorun.inf file, but I also was referencing index.html, when the file name was really index.htm

Stupid little oversight. For those of you that were looking into this for me, thank you. Here's what the autorun.inf looks like, I changed the name of the HTML doc instead of the autorun.inf file.

[AutoRun]
open=C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore d:\index.html
icon=iexplore.exe,0

SaxyCorp
Only works if the user has installed IE on using the default path, or is using IE. This is not always the case. For example, I've installed IE on my D: drive, so if I inserted that CD into my drive, it would fail. Plus, it relies on IE being installed, and if IE isn't the default browser it'll keep asking to become the default browser, which will do nothing but piss off those using other browsers.

Your best bet is to make a small, invisible application that opens the HTML file and then closes itself. Code it right, and it'll open the file using the default browser on the system.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Sorry, I don't have exp with this, but can't you just do:

[AutoRun]
open=d:\index.html

and let the system use whatever it has registered as the default program for reading html files?
But I couldn't pass up the opportunity to say "Hi".

So, hi and WB.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Thank you, Pete. And may the great debates between us continue!

One of the things that I was thinking was possibly just doing something like calling the HTML file and leaving it at that, so that the whole thing isn't drive letter dependent. Just something to work on figuring out in the future...

Funny how a job is never exactly what it says on the job description. I don't mind it though. I've gotten a real sense of accomplishment from everything that I've done here since I started. That's pretty much what has kept me away from posting here at the LL for so long. Working on getting this place up to a reasonable level of function.

I may disappear for a while, depending on if I am authorized to go ahead with another project of mine - one of the companies needs its network completely overhauled. Build a new network over the existing one, switch everything over, and then tear out the old one. The cool thing is that I'll get to spend about $9,000. Which, for some of you other folks in the field, isn't that much when you're doing an entire company's network, but it's a lot for this place.

But I'm sure that I'll stay in touch.

-SaxyCorp
whyBish,Oct 10 2003, 09:38 PM Wrote:Sorry, I don't have exp with this, but can't you just do:

[AutoRun]
open=d:\index.html

and let the system use whatever it has registered as the default program for reading html files?
Because autorun only works with EXEs. If not just with EXEs, then there are probably some file extensions that can be autorunned (COM? BAT?)

Anyway, HTM and HTML are not one of them.

Generally, if a file extension opens with explorer.exe in File Types in Folder Settings, then it autoruns. HTML files do not. They open with iexplore.exe, or whatever your browser of choice is.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386