Mf/Rushing Sorceress
Making a Sorc for Rushing ppl for hellforge. Maybe a little mfing. I've already decided on an Ice and Lighting build. Feel free to critique stat and skill point allocation. I'll give equipment I plan to use to too.

Equipment:

'Eth' Peasant Crown
Wizard Spike
Lidless Wall
Que Hagens
Frostburn

Rest undecided.

Skills:

Fire

10 Warmth

Ice

20 Frozen Orb
20 Ice Mastery
5(?) Prerquisites

Lightning

1 Telekinesis (for tele)
1 Teleport
20 Thunderstorm
20 Lightning Mastery
Rest Nova

Stats are undecided. I'm not sure what to get. I'll edit in a bit. Feel free to critique w/e.

Edit: I forgot to mention I don't need critique for Mf gear. That's why I didn't list it.
Bloodstar6078 @ USWest
ブラッドスター
Umm, no need for max cold mastery. Cold mastery only reduces resistances of monsters, and it can't make them have negative resists. Most don't have any resists at all.

I don't really think socketing an eth in the helm is the best socket. You're better off with a p.skull , p.saphire, or um rune.

You also don't really need the much warmth. Frozen orb is a timered spell and thunderstorm doesn't require cosntant casting. 3-5 points should be enough.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
I was going to make a "Why would you want to do something so boring?" post, but I know. Different strokes for different people. If someone enjoys killing cows or Mephisto 10,000 times, who am I to judge? Still, two questions come to mind:

Quote:Equipment:

'Eth' Peasant Crown
Wizard Spike
Lidless Wall
Que Hagens
Frostburn...

Edit: I forgot to mention I don't need critique for Mf gear. That's why I didn't list it.

If you have this kind of equipment lying around, do you really need to go on MF'ing runs? Is there some particular piece of equipment for one of your characters that you want to find or trade for, or are you merely a collector?

Second, the 1.10 patch will come out eventually and bring with it ladder games. The ladder games will be in essense entirely new clean realms, and any items you find now will not be able to be imported to them. If you're getting items with which to equip your characters and don't plan on ever joining ladder games, then spending lots of time magic finding sounds reasonable. However, if you're more of a "collector" who collects items for items sake and the thrill of showing them off, I have to warn you that I suspect once ladder games come out, no one will care what kind of off-ladder items you have. Off ladder windforces will be a dime-a-dozen while people race to find the best items in ladder games.

If you want to spend lots of time magic finding, then I say, "To each his own." However, since I'm personally planning to play exclusively in ladder games once the patch comes out, I'm not bothering to do any magic finding. I'd rather just play my characters with the items they have and enjoy the game. Or, even better, I've been experimenting with the 1.10 beta patch so that I'll be ready for when 1.10 does come out. 1.10s is such a better game than 1.09. I highly recommend downloading it, even if all you can do is play single-player and TCP/IP games.
For 1.09 I would give cold mastery only one point, put one point in energy shield, and put points in static field. My sorc uses frozen orb and static, switching to firewall for immunes. The static field is non timered so it can eat the mana, along with the occasional monster getting a hit on the energy shield, so some warmth is good. Nova definitely can use the warmth.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Sounds like this sorc will always have to tank her way unless you have an invincible merc or a barb buddy around.
I would dump a point or a few into energy shield and consider nightsmoke belt (if you have all this other stuff you probably have it too) and ith for your helm (or else some nice resist jewel). You can then fuel your mana by any stray hits that land on you (assuming vitality will be respectable). It also helps for mana burn boss hits as you will at least regain enough juice to teleport away.
Also agree with archon wing about cold mastery. The returns past a few points are very poor unless you are thinking of some synergy in 1.10 (I dont think it does have a synergy but can't recall offhand).
No need to overdo warmth either unless you really end up pumping nova v high. I'd load up on grand mana charms (30-60) until this char was leveled to the level you like and then take them off. If you keep running out put some points into warmth/energy else they can go elsewhere.
If you're going to tank, Frozen Armour's freezes attacker is a useful defence mechanism.

If you plan to pick off the monsters from a distance, by teleporting across rivers, for example, you'll be wanting enough in Static to be able to reach back across. Every 3 points gives you an extra 2 yards range on an area attack so it's well worth pumping the skill. Furthermore, hitting every monster in sight first time around saves having to spam it again when you could be using a finisher instead.
Ok, I learned alot about sorcs now. My sorc isn't perfect but im pretty convinced I can make a way better one if I make another. So... my mf troubles are over... almost.

My friend keeps saying how much he wants to make a ladder character and I can see why (Though I kind of don't 'cuz personally I think they should have gave certain uniques and recipes to normal as well. Why just ladder? :huh: ) Anyways if I make all of my guys ladder then I'll have to make a new sorc to mf. The only problem is I'm still a sorc newbie. I plan to use the same skill set as above but be less extreme on thunderstorm and only put 1-5 in ice mastery, then either max or get warmth high so I can have more mf gear. The only problem is that I won't be able to be rushed, so what order should I get skills to play through the game normally?

Thanks again for the replies.
Bloodstar6078 @ USWest
ブラッドスター
Crap... editing a post doesn't make it go to front like new reply so i had to do this... just look at the before post. So sorry for spam.
Bloodstar6078 @ USWest
ブラッドスター
I haven't tried spellcasting sorceresses much in 1.10s, but from the things I've read, Nova isn't nearly as good of a spell anymore. The new cookie-cutter seems to be Fireball/Frozen Orb sorcs, although I 've seen some good posts about Meteor, Chain Lightning, and Blizzard as well.
The build I was going to try at the top I found out after making was a little messed up. Don't get me wrong I can kill most things in the game and fully rush, but other skill investments would have let me kill faster and be less item dependant, so as to add more magic find.

From what I learned the best 1.09 sorc is:

100-150 Strength
75 Dex for wizardspike if you use.
50+ Vitality
200 Energy. More or less. Depends how much mf gear you want to use.

Get 20 Warmth, 20 Frozen Orb, 5 Ice mastery, 20 Lightning mastery, 1 Teleport, 1-5 Energy shield and the rest in getting Thunderstorm and Nova. If you feel you need defense build up Chilling armor. I've went without so far and have been fine though. A few points though, like energy shield, in chilling armor would help though.

When planning to make Wealth or four topazed armor, make sure it requires 100 strength or less. If you are really new and need help with magic find items visit the Arreat Summit. I think I'm about done in this thread, unless anyone has 1.10 sorc strategy's or tips for playing one through. (This one was rushed.)

And their you have it. Making a MF character is much easier than I thought, and I should have done it looooooooooong long ago! It would have been better than only getting freebies and lucky drops, but hey. What works, works.
Bloodstar6078 @ USWest
ブラッドスター
Bloodstar6078,Oct 17 2003, 05:09 PM Wrote:From what I learned the best 1.09 sorc is:
*opens mouth... pauses... closes mouth*

*sigh* Ahhh shucks, why bother.

Wow, great. Now we know what the 'best' sorc is.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
Why yes. Didn't we always know? Just go ask in any b.net channel. ;)

Besides that build is inferior to.... *runs away*
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Quote:Mf/Rushing Sorceress, Plz Critique

;)
[Image: 37671-NicatorSig0326.jpg]

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War
About the cold mastery thing. I read somewhere about this 1.10s sorcie with fully-synergized blizzard and maxed cold mastery.

According to the player, the high cold mastery could pierce through most hell cold immune monsters. (Last time I checked cold resist is a straight reduction in 1.10.) That left just the occasional boss of cold immune type monster, which spawned cold enchanted, putting the total resists at 200%+ and thus unpiercable. But merc can take care of that, I guess.

So maybe orb/max cold mastery could perhaps be enough for your needs, which leaves lots of pts free for icebolt (synergy of orb), energy shield, etc.
In HC, 50 Life aint gonna cut it, and for that matter, 200 Energy is overkill. However, in Soft Core it matters not, the occasional death doesn't bother you until you try to run levels at the high end in Hell where XP penalties are a pain.

I'd say that build is probably second place to a number of others.

Maxing Warmth seems a waste of skill points, what with the dimnishing returns, and to my view, considering + skills items, virtually pointless.

But heck, fun is where you find it, so enjoy. :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete