V 1.09 crushing blow
I am still unclear about this, and have looked around, but to no avail :o

2 questions really:-

What effect does it have?

Does it stack?

Be great if you can answer these questions for me, making a maul ww barb, and have heard people praise CB!
What is this life if, full of care
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
Heiho,

CB reduces normal monsters HPs by 1/4, in 1.09 applied after all other damage. The effect is afflicted by physical resistancies, so it is cut in half in Hell because of global 50%physical resistance there, thus reducing only 1/8 HPs (or less, if the opponent has more physical resistance).

Versus Champs, Bosses, Act Bosses it reduces far less, IIRC only 1/10 base.

With ranged weapons, its effect is generally halfed.

CB itself doesn't stack, but the Chance to do a CB stacks, but it is of no use to have the chance higher than 100% :-)
so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB
awwww :P

So that means the uni thundermaul (names gone) is a pretty neat weapon :) wont be bad pvp, especialy vs people who preffer high life to damage reduce. Thanks for the help,

Kier
What is this life if, full of care

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
http://www.hut.fi/~tgustafs/weapondamage.html (Section 4.1.)

Cheers,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur
PvE/RP World of Warcraft Guild
Argent Dawn (European RP server), Alliance side

Dwarf Campaign
Awarded Custom Campaign for Warcraft III

Tommi's Diablo II information and guides
The de facto source of Diablo II game mechanics
Maybe I'm trying to make crushing blow the new cookie cutter equipment, but I love that mod. here's why. http://www.diabloii.net/items/modifiers/sp...modifiers.shtml

"Expansion and v1.08+ D2:Crushing Blow works with all attacks and on all targets, but the reduction in hps is much less than it was in D2. The following lists the actual percent hps removed. This is from a monster's current hps, not it's maximum, so you'll notice big drops on full hps monsters and very little on ones that are low.

Normal monster: 1/4 Melee, 1/8 Ranged Attack. Other: 1/10 Melee, 1/20 Ranged Attack.

"Other" includes all types of boss monsters as well as other players and their hirelings. This doesn't sound like much, but if Izzy has 100,000 hps, taking off 1/20th with your bow would be worth 5,000 hps.

Crushing Blow is best used with a high percentage, and when hitting very fast and for low damage it makes a big difference."

Now, crushing blow is affected by physical resist, and there's a 50% global physical resist in Hell. How do you take care of that? Atma's ammy. Amp damage gives -100% physical resist.

Amplify Damage:
http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/ne...er-curses.shtml
"This deceptively potent curse rapidly advances the age and putridity of any wound. Ordinary blows will cut through flesh and carve particularly vicious wounds that fester and seethe.

Effect: Increases the amount of damage received.

Amplify Damage lowers monster Physical Resistances by 100%. Amplify Damage will not lower the resists of Immune Monsters.

Amplify Damage allows you to quickly finish enemies off. You find Amplify Damage useful on any monsters you or your minions want to kill FAST such as Unique Bosses, Champions, Monsters that raise other Monsters such as Mummies, or any monsters that might give you a hard time.

Use Amplify Damage in parties with other players and in situations where you're doing more damage to the enemy than they are doing to you.

Does Amplify Damage work on spell damage as well as physical damage?
No, only Physical Damage.

Does Amplify Damage work with Corpse Explosion?
Partially. Corpse Explosion does 50% Physical damage and 50% Fire damage."

So basically this allows you to triple your physical damage in Hell. 50% GPR -100% amp damage = -50%

Getting you back to 0 physical resist doubles your damage, and the -50% triples it. Some people had a hard time recognizing that.

My Bowazons use Goreriders and Guillaumes Face for 50% crushing blow, and atma's for the amp damage. Every other hit they land a crushing blow.

So forget the potential for hundreds of damage, Crushing blow gives the potential for thousands

And about Izual. Some monsters have higher amounts of physical resist, but atma's takes care of that. Check here http://forums.rpgforums.net/showthread.php...p?threadid=1865

"Oh yeah, what about Amp damage affecting monsters in Hell? I remember it'll lower the global physical resist to 0 in regards to regular monsters for crushing blow explosions, but I remember u said that Izual and some other monsters had higher GPR. I can answer this one: Izzy has 80% physical resist, but still gets lowered to -20% with amp. Only if they're immune, then amp dmg won't work on them. (in 1.07 LOD it did )"

Since Crushing blow takes off a percentage of the monsters life, Atma's can't help it past the 0% physical resist mark. But it'll triple your physical damage.

Here's what it would look like in Hell: Assume 100% deadly/critical strike. Assume 100% crushing blow. Assume an average damage of 1000 with a melee weapon. Assume going against a normal monster with 10,000 life.

Counting 50% Global Physical Resist: 500 (physical damage) + 500 (deadly strike) + 2250 (crushing blow after your physical damage is calculated) = 6,750 life remaining.

Assuming amp damage (-100% physical resist): 1500 (physical damage) + 1500 (deadly strike) + 1750 (amp damage only lowers physical resist to 0 for crushing blow) = 5250 life remaining.

For 1.10, with no 50% global physical resist

Here's what it would look like in Hell. Assume 100% deadly/critical strike. Assume 100% crushing blow. Assume an average damage of 1000 with a melee weapon. Assume going against a Boss monster with 100,000 life and no Physical Resist.

With no Amp Damage: 1000 (physical damage) + 1000 (deadly strike) + 9800 (crushing blow after your physical damage is calculated) = 88,200 life remaining.

Assuming amp damage (-100% physical resist): 3000 (physical damage) + 3000 (deadly strike) + 9800 (amp damage only lowers physical resist to 0 for crushing blow) = 84,400 life remaining.

A small addendum:

For 1.10, with no 50% global physical resist against a Normal monster

Here's what it would look like in Hell. Assume 100% deadly/critical strike. Assume 100% crushing blow. Assume an average damage of 1000 with a melee weapon. Assume going against a Normal monster with 100,000 life (hey, maybe it could happen) and no Physical Resist.

With no Amp Damage: 1000 (physical damage) + 1000 (deadly strike) + 24,500 (crushing blow after your physical damage is calculated) = 73,500 life remaining.

Assuming amp damage (-100% physical resist): 3000 (physical damage) + 3000 (deadly strike) + 23,500 (amp damage only lowers physical resist to 0 for crushing blow) = 70,500 life remaining.
Any Javazon with Jab, some stix, and Goblin Toes and a Rattlecage did some pretty decent damage in 8 player games thanks to CB, which was at that point taking 50% of the monster's remaining HP away.

The reduction of CB's percentage in 1.09 made it better for Bows, particularly for multi piercing GA's, but the various reducers made it less uber, though still nice insofar as scaling and allowing the attacker to concentrate on attack speed mods.

It appears that CB in 1.10 will be taking the percentage of damage off the top, not sure if that is a bug in the beta.

CB has always been handy, just more unbalanced in pre LoD than after.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Welcome to the Lurker Lounge, Bloodshrike. I think you will benefit from reading Tommi's page in some more detail, specifically the part about Crushing Blow's interaction with physical resistance.

p.s. I think you should consider putting a link back to your homepage from each individual article, Tommi. It would assist in having people stumble over useful information after all ;)
Zath - Thanx for the welcome. :D

Not sure what I'm missing on Tommi's page though. I address the physical resistance in my calculations.

Quote:Since a crushing blow is not damage, it is not affected normally by any damage reduction effects, such as the PvP penalty and Energy Shield. However, there is a special coding, which reduces the effect of a crushing blow as if it was affected by the physical resistance of the target. In this calculation, a negative physical resistance is treated as 0 % to prevent it from increasing the effect of the crushing blow. Because of this coding, the effect of a crushing blow is effectively cut in half in hell difficulty where monsters have a global 50 % physical resistance, and, furthermore, a crushing blow does not affect monsters immune to physical damage.

If there is a 50% global physical resist, and Amp damage decreases the physical resistance of monsters, it stands to reason that the physical resistance gets dropped back down to 0%.
One glaring error I'm noticing is that you're tripling the damage from amp even when there were was no physical resistance. It would only double it then, from 1,000 to 2,000 (not 3,000).
adeyke - Arrrgghhhh.......man, I'm not cut out for calculations. I'm more of an English major, but I'm a big fan of the special modifiers, so I set out to show how effective they were in Hell, to prompt more of an interest in my crushplosive archer builds.

I can't believe I wasn't corrected on this before. It still promotes crushing blow though. :D
Thanx for the info.

But I'm still sure about the amp/crushing blow relationship.
You were probably repeating what you heard from someone else, and you weren't wrong.

With global resist, your attacks do 50% of their ordinary damage.

However, an Amp Damage will drop their physical resistance down to -50%, meaning you do 150% your ordinary damage, meaning your damage is effectively trippled against most hell monsters. Against non-imune monsters with even higher resistance, amp damage is effectively much more- effective.
Great truths are worth repeating:

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24