half freeze duration
I have a character who has two items of half freeze duration. She also wears Raven Frost for "cannot be frozen". I was wondering if she could get by with the two items of half freeze duration without the Raven Frost?

As a test I went into the normal Woldstone Keep level 2, and let the blow up things do their worst with her. We then went down to the cave to speak with Coldcrow. In each case without Raven Frost: with the half freeze duration items she was never frozen. Without the half freeze duration items she flashed blue for an instant. I'm not sure how many frames an instant is, but I could clearly see it.

I've found nothing on this topic here. At the basin I found a thread from last spring, but the posters could not agree on whether items of half freeze duration stack or not. A possibly apocryphal post by Ruvanal was cited, but I could not find it in my search.

Does anyone have any thoughts or information? Either for 1.09 or for 1.10 would be of help.

(And at least Coldcrow dropped a Pelta Lunata for my trouble.)
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Heiho,

from all I know HFD is checked only once, so you won't benefit from wearing more than one item with that attribute.

Should be easy to verify in Act5/Hell/Icecaves (maybe a bit too dangerous if checked against a cold enchanted boss, but the freezing by their Frost Nova by death lasts longer IIRC)
so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB
I'm pretty sure the effect doesn't stack, but it's nice to have on one of your items as many people hate having to waste a ring slot on a raven :)
What is this life if, full of care
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
item_halffreezeduration is a boolean flag (1 bit in size). No practical way in the code to allow it to stack.
Many thanks! Many thanks to everyone else also.

A related question: does cold resistance have any effect on freeze duration? I don't think it does, but I figured it would not hurt to ask.
Sorry, I'm most likely mis-understanding you here, but wouldn't you just code it to right shift the cold duration by the sum of items having this flag set?
AFAIK, the cold resistance is also freeze duration reduction of the same percentage, at least on monsters. The shorter duration of freezing arrow seems to match up nicely with the cold resistance of frozen horrors and snow yetis. I recall hearing that the same happens with player resistances, but I'm not entirely sure.
This might explain why, without any items of freeze reduction at all, I turned blue for just an instant. Normally this hero has resistances at 95, but our cold resistance went down to 90 for the test. For most of the low level characters I'm used to that are not wearing Death's Guard, Coldcrow chills them for a good while.

Would the freeze duration change in hell vs. normal or nightmare? I know I could test this, but it might be a little more dangerous.
whyBish,Oct 10 2003, 06:09 AM Wrote:Sorry, I'm most likely mis-understanding you here, but wouldn't you just code it to right shift the cold duration by the sum of  items having this flag set?
Then it wouldn't be a flag but a counter, it happens to be saved as a flag, hence the reply given :)
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
adeyke,Oct 10 2003, 06:45 AM Wrote:AFAIK, the cold resistance is also freeze duration reduction of the same percentage, at least on monsters.  The shorter duration of freezing arrow seems to match up nicely with the cold resistance of frozen horrors and snow yetis.  I recall hearing that the same happens with player resistances, but I'm not entirely sure.
Yes, if I recall correctly both chill and freeze duration is modified by cold resistance, but I can be wrong. Note that half free duration is handled first, not that it matter much).
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Heiho,

I'm not the code-cracker typus, but isn't there an entry of its own I think in monstats.txt which defines how intensely monsters are affected by chilling? By example the Frenzytaurs in the Worldstone Keep, they have no resistance to cold at all, but they are hardly freezeable, and at the Throne Room they aren't freezeable at all.

But I also think that resistancies affect the freezing, at least along with player chars.
so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB
As Jarulf noted the freeze/chill durations are adjusted by the flag of item_halffreezeduration (duration/2) and then an adjustment by the resistance rating of the target (note this is done only with freeze/chill, not with poison durations). In LavCat's case, assuming that the base chill duration is 2 seconds (50 Frames), the half-freeze duraation would cut this to 25 frames and a 90% resitance would further reduce this to (25*(1-.9)=) 2 frames (0.08 seconds) or "just an instant" as LavCat puts it. Compare this to effect of cannot be frozen where the character will not even turn blue for what the apparent difference would be.

Quote:I'm not the code-cracker typus, but isn't there an entry of its own I think in monstats.txt which defines how intensely monsters are affected by chilling? By example the Frenzytaurs in the Worldstone Keep, they have no resistance to cold at all, but they are hardly freezeable, and at the Throne Room they aren't freezeable at all.
Yes there are such entries in the monsters.txt files, but it is for how much of an action rate slow down they will be effected by from the chilling effect; not the duration itself.

In this case the main question was concerning the effect on a character who is not listed there.
Yet with the two items of half freeze duration and 95% cold resistance, I did not turn blue even once. I would have thought, based on your explaination, that in that case I should have suffered a 1 frame freeze?
LavCat,Oct 10 2003, 10:28 AM Wrote:Yet with the two items of half freeze duration and 95% cold resistance, I did not turn blue even once.  I would have thought, based on your explaination, that in that case I should have suffered a 1 frame freeze?
Do you turn blue with 95% resist and only one item with half freeze duration?
AssA,Oct 10 2003, 07:05 AM Wrote:Do you turn blue with 95% resist and only one item with half freeze duration?
Good question. No, I tried Coldcrow in this condition twice. My mercenary turned blue but I did not.
1 frame is only 1/25th of a second (optimally)... So maybe it was just too fast for you to notice? (You may be old... ;) )
well, if the cold length from her is 50 frames, thanks to integer math(each calculation step is rounded down) it should be reduced to zero if both HFD items work.

from what i've heard(i haven't tried this myself yet) multiple sources in 1.10 of deadly strike, crushing blow etc. work individually, so it's probaby the same for this.