Thrown weapons in melee
Do thrown weapons lose quantity (the equiv. of durability) when used with melee attacks?

-- Oaks

* I apologize if this ends up getting posted twice, I'm having some issues with the forums today.
Yes.
Yes, but you don't lose as much as if you had thrown it. I believe it goes down 1/3 as fast as throwing it.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
I belive that its even less then that. My throwing barb can Frenzy forever without repairing when necessary.
"Would you like a Jelly Baby?"
Doctor Who
Actually, IIRC, it's 1/3 as fast as a non-thrown weapon. That is, you lose quantity 1/3 as fast as a non-thrown weapon would lose durability.
Freepaperclips,Oct 9 2003, 03:23 AM Wrote:I belive that its even less then that.  My throwing barb can Frenzy forever without repairing when necessary.
My recollection from the .txt files is that Frenzy doesn't lose durability at all. Of course I may be misinterpreting the data, so you should test it or ask an expert (on the meaning of the mpq file columns).
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits
Crystalion,Oct 9 2003, 01:58 AM Wrote:My recollection from the .txt files is that Frenzy doesn't lose durability at all. Of course I may be misinterpreting the data, so you should test it or ask an expert (on the meaning of the mpq file columns).
Based on what entries? I do not recall seeing anything that would exempt the Frenzy skill from the durability loss.

Also while I do recall that the 'rule of thumb' for the loss of stacked items like 'javelins' was 1 item per 3 durability loss, I do not recall who provided that information. From looking at the files I suspect that it actually different than that. If it is what I suspect it would actually account for what some like Freepaperclips are experiencing and that I have experienced myself in the past (new amazon losing her starting weapons when only using normal attacks and Jabs, no throwing). I will have to test this later with a modified Impale skill.
Ruvanal,Oct 9 2003, 09:42 AM Wrote:Based on what entries?  I do not recall seeing anything that would exempt the Frenzy skill from the durability loss.
That would be the "durability" column in skills.txt, for which most melee attacks have "1" but for which Frenzy is blank (at least in v1.10s). Could be a red herring of course. The skills that have "1"...

Charge
Jab
Conviction
Leap
Double Swing
Double Throw
Leap Attack
Whirlwind
Impale
Fend
Left Hand Throw
Left Hand Swing
Sacrifice

hmm, thematically speaking that sure looks more like skills that hit hard and thus ought to subject the victim to durability loss.
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits
Crystalion,Oct 9 2003, 08:15 AM Wrote:hmm, thematically speaking that sure looks more like skills that hit hard and thus ought to subject the victim to durability loss.
This might be closer than thinking of that column as a flag fro which skills cause the users weapon to loose durability. The standarad attack skill (ID=0) and a couple of other skills are regularly known to cause weapon durabiity loss and are not flagged by that column.

I see some different possibilities for what that column may be referring to. Several of those skills offer the user more than one chance (or an innappropriate chance in the case of Charge) of loosing durability. This may be a flag to skip the chance for durability loss. But that does not really explain why Conviction is flagged.

Hmmm... found this in the patch.txt file
v1.08 modifications
- When used in melee throwing weapon durability decreases at one third the thrown rate.
Not sure that I trust this to be actually true currently though considering the amount of undocumented changes that are out there.
i can't remember who mentioned it or if it applies to 1.10: melee weapons have 12% chance to lose durability, stacked ones 36%.

re: conviction. this skill also has something in itypea1 & seqnum, not something an aura should have. i don't know if it was like this before 1.10 or if blizz was going to make it into an attack or anything.