Question about Faster Block Rate
Testing a high clvl pally, I noticed the different behaviour, from 1.09, he had when surrounded by melee monsters because continuous hit recoveries.

1.10s has stopped block lock and I assume that under current mechanics if the paladin is under block frame animation and receives another hit, he will get a hit recovery frame animation.

According to these tables, it would be wiser to get 1 frame block animation than increasing FHR. However, I haven't figured out how to go beyond 85 FBR (shaeled SS plus Guardian Angel).
[Image: 37671-NicatorSig0326.jpg]

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War
d2data says http://www.d2data.net/110sbeta/item/frag/s..._griswold3.html + shael

socket mod magic shield of 20% block 30% block rate works too.
There are several possibilities.

Griswold's Honor has the highest potential FBR (65% + 3 Shaels + Guardian Angel = 155%) and has already been mentioned.

With Guardian Angel and a Shael contributing 50%, the shield itself only needs 36%. These shields all match that criterion:
Blackoak Shield (50%)
Pelta Lunata (40%)
Whiststan's Guard (40%)

In addition, Moser's Blessed Circle has 30% and two sockets. 30% + 2 Shaels + Guardian Angel = 100%
Oh yes. Thank you both. Grisswold and Mosers seem like good alternatives.

Time to test pally's behaviour.
[Image: 37671-NicatorSig0326.jpg]

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War
adeyke,Oct 6 2003, 08:42 PM Wrote:There are several possibilities.

Griswold's Honor has the highest potential FBR (65% + 3 Shaels + Guardian Angel = 155%) and has already been mentioned.

With Guardian Angel and a Shael contributing 50%, the shield itself only needs 36%.  These shields all match that criterion:
Blackoak Shield (50%)
Pelta Lunata (40%)
Whiststan's Guard (40%)

In addition, Moser's Blessed Circle has 30% and two sockets.  30% + 2 Shaels + Guardian Angel = 100%
A lot easier to find than Griswold's, any ordinary paladin shield will take four sockets (unless the ilvl is very low, I suppose). Add four shaels and use with Guardian Angel. Even nicer if the shield has the chromatic automod.

A sacred targa has 60% chance to block, which is almost as good as the 67% on Moser's, and the smite damage is much higher.

My own choice of shield is a shaeled Herald of Zakarum (not to be confused with a Zakarum shield), but this only gets to the three frame breakpoint. This hero does not have holy shield.

I'm building a new baby paladin who will use a fast block shield and holy shield, for hopefully a one frame block -- or two without Guardian Angel. Should Griswold's drop for me between now and then, that would be very nice. Actually I've only found one vortex shield of any flavor -- and I sold it, not knowing it was something special.

For the new character I have a four socket Caduceus waiting, with plus three to holy shield, and two other skills. I want to make a holy shield defiant, but I'm thinking it would be better to get the aura from a mercenary. Any thoughts?

Also on the subject of faster block, I have a sorceress using Blackoak. If I were to put a shael in it, she could get to a four frame block, but her blocking chance is only 57%. Would the best thing to do be to shael the shield and pump dex? Or is there some better use for the potential socket? She does not have to worry too much about elemental damage, and she has 3017 def, but when something hits her it can hurt. Her life is 688. All resistances are 95. She has a 10 frame hit recovery.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Safety amulet (up to +10% block) with some decent random mods. Can save a bit of dex if you manage to craft a good one.
Unfortunately she uses Iratha's collar and does not have the slot free. That feature of the safety amulet was news to me, however, and should come in useful for other characters -- thanks! Too bad the chances of 10% block and plus two to skills seem pretty small.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."