First Impressions: Halo PC
WarLocke,Oct 21 2003, 07:36 PM Wrote:While that is kinda cheap, I rationalized it as the Flood assimilating the Covenant and Marines you left behind.  After all, the Master-Chief is Space Rambo, but even he can't kill every Covenant on Halo.  There are (were?) undoubtably some that you bypassed and/or plain didn't encounter.
Oh no, I can understand that perfectly, like for example when covenant forces show up in a place you had cleaned before in their ship through a door/shaft/whatever you couldn't check or open. The flood itself, in the library, usually comes through openings to the surface in vast quantities, even in places you had passed already.

What I hated was that they appeared out of nowhere. It was in these narrow passages that let you go under the giant doors that don't open completely, and in those there was simply no way they could have run in one second all the way from their "respawning points" so to speak.

At least I only found that a couple of times, it's not all over the place ;)

I was playing it safe with the elites and assuming their shields do charge up. good to know for sure :)
NuurAbSaal,Oct 21 2003, 06:57 AM Wrote:For the next you need: a frag grenade, one rocket launcher and a twisted sense of humor.

Look straight down.
Drop grenade.
Jump.
At highest point, fire rocket launcher.
Enjoy the view  :lol:
He he, did you know that on the multiplayer map Boarding Action, you can successfully jump from one side of the map to the other? My roommate and I worked very hard to figure this one out...

You must be playing on a setting that will increase your player's speed if you die alot (for instance, Team Slayer). Die a couple of times so that you're moving pretty fast, then grab a rocket launcher and head for the fourth floor where the over shield is. Line yourself up with the shield, facing the pit between sides, then look straight down. Then grab the over shield, run at the edge, jump, and fire a rocket into the ground for the extra height. Before you know it, you'll be standing on level 1 of the opposite side with no shield and a couple of health bars missing ;).

The reason this trick works, is because just after you pick up the over sheild, you're practically invincible for the short time while it charges up. So the rocket blast doesn't hurt you at all, and you have a full over shield to absorb the impact from your landing. Of course you're totally vulnerable to attack after you land, but it's still cool to watch :P.

--Copadope
I've heard about that one but I never tried it. Sounds like fun :)

The craziest thing I ever saw was when I accidently "left" the Sidewinder map. I drove a ghost and jumped over an enemy Scorpion and weeee!, I went over the wall and stood on...air, outside the normally accessible area! Killing ceased and everybody came looking at me, peeking inside the map over the horizon. Hehe.
This incident prompted me to check out some Halo sites to find out if something similar had ever happened to anyone else. I was in for a surprise, appearantly it took some kids only a couple of days after the game was released to do an insane amount of insane things. Like leaving maps or using bugs for fun stuff. Check out this link (if you're interested):

HBO

I tried most of the stuff there and even managed to accomplish some; I had my fifteen minutes (well, seconds) of fame as I stood on the tower on Blood Gulch and sniped my buddies :D

Halo just rocks, err, r0x0rs

Greetings
Nuur
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Hail NuurAbSaal,

I was hoping nobody would get wrong impressions of Legendary mode from my statement that I used to play with a lot of known Quake 3 clans and that I am very experienced in first person shooter games.

You are right that some situations are VERY hard, even if you have 100% aim. BUT having played through the game on prior modes, knowing what is comming up, and positioning yourself correctly is a huge advantage.

Thanks for the lengthy reply, unfortunately I'm in class right now and can't find time to post more untill the weekend.

Quote:For the next you need: a frag grenade, one rocket launcher and a twisted sense of humor.

Try a BFG and a gernade in Quake 3 ;)
MonTy,Oct 22 2003, 11:07 PM Wrote:Try a BFG and a gernade in Quake 3  ;)
Grenade/Rocket/BFG jumping ain't exactly new. But always fun :)

I remember once playing single player Quake II, on the level where you first get the Rocket Launcher (Mines, I believe) I came to the big flight of stairs surrounded by a massive U-shaped wall (Anyone who's played that map will recognise it instantly.) Knowing Mutants were about, I flipped on Quad and Invulnerability.

Mutants were abroad it turned out, and one got the drop on me at close range. Quad rocket at close range is certain death, but I was also temporarily invulnerable, so it mattered naught. I wait until I can count the critter's teeth before pulling the trigger.

When I woke up, I was in unfamiliar territory. All I could see is rock, so I turn around. To my surprise I found myself perched on the cliff the other side of the stairwell wall! I was quite literally on the cliffs in the direction I was facing, and the only way I could have arrived there would have been if something exploded behind me, or if I bounced off the wall behind which I know is impossible with the game physics. It couldn't have been due to the exploding barrels nearby (I had cleared them out prior to arriving there) and there was no other explanation. I still can't figure out how I clocked up another 13,000 air miles in an impossible direction, and I've yet to repeat it despite my attempts.

Sorry for hijacking a Halo thread with a tale of Q2, but remember kids: Rocket jumping is fun, but you may end up in Taiwan if you're unlucky.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
G'day WarLocke,

Have you beaten the game yet? I'm not sure if the easter egg exists in the PC version (there's no reason for it not to), but you absoultely must beat the last level on Legendary Mode. I'm not going to ruin it for you, but there is a hilarious bit right before the final ending cinematic that is, well, hilarious.

When I first heard about it, I couldn't believe it. But, I beat it on Legendary to see if this person was a filthy dirty scoundrel of a liar, as I thought he was, to see for myself; lo and behold, those Bungie Fellas do have a sense of humour.

I've been a proud Xbox owner since launch, and the first game I purchased was Halo. Halo had the potential to be the greatest FPS game ever created, and it came pretty damn close. To some, it IS the greatest game ever created! Unfortunately, it appears as though the Bungie fellas were a bit rushed at the end; just look at the latter level design. A bit tedious and repetitive if you ask me. I'm not saying that the latter levels are total crap -- just a BIT crappy. On the whole, the single player experience is fantastic.

But, the multiplayer experience is even better. This is the whole reason why Halo is held in such high regard. Any problems with repetitive level design are easily overlooked when you play it on co-op mode with a friend (on Legendary!). The last part of the last level is extremely fun with two people. Hell, the whole game is extremely fun with two people! Whenever I talk about Halo, Silent Cartographer comes to mind. That whole beach sequence/warthog with a friend sequence is just great.

That's not even mentioning the versus multiplayer. System link is a god-send. There's nothing quite like having 12 to 16 guys in a room (or a few rooms) yelling back and fourth to each other, trash talking like filthy sailors (that is, if they trash talk... Perhaps I meant that the talk was trashy?). When you have decently sized televisions, and a bunch of Xboxes (like my friends and I do), Xbox LAN parties are the best. It's a mix of online PC gaming and classic console gaming -- you get more than just 2 (or 4) people playing together (as you would online with the PC) on a console AND you get all the people together in the same area, which lets everyone talk smack all day long. System Link games are very communal.

As another poster mentioned, these Xbox LAN parties seem to go on for hours, but you wouldn't know it if you played in one... I can recall playing about 3 or 4 flag matches and looking up at the clock only to see that 4 hours had passed. When you get two good flag teams facing off, oh man... Those can take a helluva long time. I'm a big fan of King Of The Hill (Crazy King especially). I love it when you've got 8 guys all firing rockets at the king spot, with everyone barely adding a second to their totals per entrance into the area. The resulting final scores are usually 2:00, 1:59, 1:59, 1:58, 1:40... Good stuff.

Now, I own Halo PC as well has the Xbox Halo -- are there any real differences? Not really. The only notable issue is the frame rate. All the game mechanics are the same. Even mouse look is the same - there is a delay moving your reticule too quickly in some instances. For example, using the tank, if you move hard to your right, the cannon will slowly catch up with the mouse. It's supposed to be like that -- It's not as noticable in the Xbox version, though, but that's because you have joysticks to use. The mouse look isn't that different from the double-stick Xbox controller style; an experienced Halo player has their sensitivity way up as to have maximum control over the Chief's turning and aiming. That's probably people's biggest gripe -- the use of the double sticks isn't as easy as the mouse. That's true, but once you get used to it, the double sticks can be just as deadly.

For me, Halo PC isn't worth the money simply because I've played it so much on the Xbox. That, and the multiplayer portion of the game is where the majority of my time (and probably other people's as well) will be spent. Having played Halo PC online (lag issues aside), it is not the same. It feels more sterile. As I mentioned before, Halo is a communal experience on the Xbox, and having played it that way for however many years now (2 since Halo came out?) playing it without the constant hollaring and real-time strategizing just makes it feel not so much like Halo. Rather, it feels like any other FPS, but with the familiar old Halo gameplay mechanics, graphics and all that.

So, what do you get when you combine the "Xbox Halo Experience" and the "PC Halo Experience"? HALO 2. This can also be represented as "Xbox Live + Halo = Halo 2".

I can't wait. You think Halo is good? Halo 2 is even better, from what I've seen so far... oooh wee!

One last thing about Halo; when did it come out? A very long time ago. Am I still playing it? Yep. I can't say that for any other game, except Diablo 2 (which I had quit, but recently came back to). But, Diablo 2 is another story...
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*