It burns, it burns
On the back of a terrible 70s sounding add with poorly sampled sound earlier in the year, a website has been set up to entice NZers to visit Canada...

Chek out those web wizards :P

www.canada.co.nz
Not fair that they won't send those pretty posters to the US.

I saw one tourism ad for Canada that featured a picture of a woman looking at a penguin. At least these people seemed to have reasonably correct fauna, but I'll let the Canadians speak to that.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Oh, yeah, well it seems bad. But, I can't be sure.

My threshold for bad has been permanently altered today. My wife rented Moulin Rouge. I think I actually got nauseous in one part (where the Duke and Harold Zidler sang "Like a Virgin"). I'm still weak.

Edit: Hmmm, spellcheck'd ok. :) I was affected.

Analyzing the source reveals it is the work of the notorius B.I.G. -- Bartley Internet and Graphics from Whangamata. It says they also do picture framing. Whangamata seems an interesting place just about 100km from Auckland.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

A movie about rogues? That sounds very nice.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Sorry whybish, it's an admittedly cruddy looking page, but I'm trying to see the problem and I can't quite find it... all of the calendars are pictures of Canadian landmarks. (?)

Lots of reciprocal tourism from Canada to NZ if that's your problem - from everything that I've heard, the Vancouver Whistler area / "Pacific Northwest" (although it's hardly "north" by our standards :P) is virtually identical to the New Zealand landscape.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
hehe. want me to order one for you? just have to decide on an agency name first... :)

Which poster is the prettiest? :o

Btw, New Zealand only has a few places for really good skiing/snowboarding, so Canada looks pretty good in that aspect... but meh, theres really nothing else up in Canada except bears. and those wierd hicks who live in wooden houses and have a horrible slur.

(I have heard that Canadians *love* the New Zealand accent though:) )
"The axe? Aye, that's a good weapon, balanced against any foe. Look how it cleaves the air, and then, imagine a nice fat demon head in its path. Keep in mind, however, that it is slow to swing - but talk about dealing a heavy blow!"
Quote:but meh, theres really nothing else up in Canada except bears. and those wierd hicks who live in wooden houses and have a horrible slur.

Damn, that's a hell of a night crawler you've got on that line! I almost bit! :D

In that postcard of Vancouver, I can see the building where I get a scone every Wednesday and Thursday before class :) It's right across from one of the off-campus buildings where I go to school. Aren't I special?

BTW, from what I understand, the Australian women (don't know about the Kiwis. Aw, what the hell, same thing :P ) can't get enough of the young Canadian boys. :)
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Quote:(don't know about the Kiwis. Aw, what the hell, same thing)

Oooch.

Thats a stinger.
"The axe? Aye, that's a good weapon, balanced against any foe. Look how it cleaves the air, and then, imagine a nice fat demon head in its path. Keep in mind, however, that it is slow to swing - but talk about dealing a heavy blow!"
Hi whybish

I took a look at the site. It seems to me to be built by a group of NZ travel consultants hoping to attract your money by selling tours to Canada. There is a link to the Canadian Tourism Commission, but it doesn't look to be made by them.

So maybe those 'web wizards' are local, and could use the services of a local programmer?

Side note: the only poster there that has a scene I am personally familiar with is the one of Niagara Falls. The photo cropping is such that they managed to make it look as if there are not any major buildings near the Falls. I am sorry to say, the reverse is true. The line of high-rise hotels starts almost exactly at the right side of the photo. Please don't get me wrong on this: I love the Falls and visit at least once a year. But it is and has been a major 'get-the-tourist-dollars' place since before the American Civil War.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Ah, so I have been caught out by a cyber-squatter :blink:

Anyway, for a site that IMO is a lot easier on the eyes, check out:

http://oneworldcup.nzoom.com/worldxv/

... or maybe I just have a fetish for black and grey spreadsheet style layouts (not to mention tournaments where the U.S. and Canadian teams have no chance of winning ;) ).

Disclaimer, made by the company I work for, but I had no input (and get nothing for promoting(?) the site...
You're not Paul Holmes are you :P
Draconis,Oct 2 2003, 08:16 AM Wrote:You're not Paul Holmes are you :P
No, but my Auntie went to school with him, (they lived around the block from my grandfather).

I won't even try to make jokes at his expense about the 'cheekie darkie' comment, I think Mike King did a good enough job of that :D
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,259797...70a2660,00.html

The original Yoda model?
http://oneworldcup.nzoom.com/peoples_choice.html

... Canada seems to have a lot of support in the World Cup, however close analysis shows that the limitations placed on selections have caused this. Essentially people are forced to pick 2 canadians (the strongest team of the bottom team in each pool). Also, the All Black support shows the NZ bias of the site(Including the selection of many players that play in N.Z. but play for other countries in the World Cup).