Desperately seeking the author of this book:
Hello Lurkers; however, for the sake of this question, particularly Canadian Lurkers. I've got an intense end-of-semester essay looming in one of my Political Science classes and my professor recommended a book entitled "Beyond Liberalism". He knew that it wasn't to be found in the SFU or UBC libraries, but he was sure that I would be able to find the author's name as it was quite a famous book, outlining the historical relationship between "Red Toryism" and neoconservatism/classical Liberalism in Canada since the BNA. I'm just curious if anyone on here has heard of it, had to read it in a class, or knows of any other texts that might be of further use in my research. In particular, I am looking for information on so-called "Blue Tory" roots in the early Conservative Party and first person quotations/publications from the early proponents of the Conservative tradition in Canada (many of whose names, I don't doubt, I wouldn't even recognize; but that's the point :) ) I'm not looking for PhD material here, just basic facts and information that might be helpful in fleshing out the more recent publications of Grant, Leacock, et al.

Thanks muchly, whether you can help or not!
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
I suspect the person you are looking for is Richard T. Allen.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Beyond Liberalism by R. T. Allen
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

That looks to be exactly what I'm looking for. My prof got his lead on the book from a colleague, so I think that he might have mistakenly assumed that it was written in a strictly Canadian context, having no prior knowledge of the text. However, that looks exactly like what I need for at least a part of the essay. Thanks again.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II