EverQuest
Does RvR mean Realm versus Realm in the DAOC context?

As to WoW PvP, I predict that you will have to achieve a certain level before you can start PvP, and as I understand it, the PvP RvP areas will have to be travelled to, but I confess that I both don't understand all of what Blizz has put out on this score and realize that their set up is at this point a work in progress.

Does that make sense?
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
RvR is indeed Realm "warfare" in context with DAoC, Occhi.

I never really got into it, but then again my level 39 Friar wasn't exactly ideal RvR material (back then, at least, the classes that were "best" for RvR either had great defense or heavy striking ability - the Friar is more a cleric/monk-type jack-of-trades).

I'll be the first to admit that a RvR battle was/is an immense rush, but (again, at least on my server) getting mezzed by a Midgard kobold and having to wait for a Berserker to decide to kill you is kind of a turn-off.
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
...but Sony already did this, in a way: Planetside.

I bet you can guess where I've been, eh? ;)

I may not be into EverQuest (cancelled my account, but it's active until Oct. 23), but PS is my bread and butter right now. And I'm gorging on every second of it. FPS never can hold my interest for very long, but PS is innovative in such a way that my interest WILL be held for a while yet. Long-term (i.e. a year or more), I can't say whether I'll still be playing, but short- / mid-term, it's gonna be all I play.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Occhi: Yep, Realm v Realm... sorry about that :(

Quote:I never really got into it, but then again my level 39 Friar wasn't exactly ideal RvR material (back then, at least, the classes that were "best" for RvR either had great defense or heavy striking ability - the Friar is more a cleric/monk-type jack-of-trades).

You quit at the wrong time man :) Friars are one of the best classes in the game (44+ Staff spec Friars hit like Armsmen, plus resists buffs, backup heals, abs buff, and evade), all CC has a 1 min immunity timer and is affected by resists, and Zerkers have been brought back down to sanity.

Then again, it's been a while since RvRing at 39 was viable :) I still remember the good old days of zerging a keep with a huge army of lvl 20's and if someone accidently broke a mez the raid would be wiped :lol:
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
I played Planet Side for 2 months and am happy I did.

It was fun, and the game play was great.

But it was not immersive and it definetly did not feel like you were part of a world. It felt like you were away from home fighting a fun and zippy war.

I quit afetr 2 months because it eventually felt like I had done everything - 20 times. Every now and then I would like still to sit down and blast away in PS, but not enough to pay a monthly subscription.
Losing net access in RL because TXU is a #$%&ty monopoly that can't handle simple service requests kept me from replying sooner. Replying to Roland instead of the guy who made the complaint, because I don't want to click backwards and reply to the person's post. Sorry. :P

The guy who complained about shout, ooc, auction, say, and tell (the first 3 are zonewide, say is radial, tell is the 'super secret direct messaging' thing which basically equals b.net's /msg) is simply foolish.

EQ's messanging system is probably the best of any game I've played. Diablo's sucks ass.

First off, you can turn off other peoples' spells and attacks. Or filter them to another window. You can even filter out emotes if you want, but that's probably a bad idea. Secondly, it's very easy to talk to people with tells. you can simply /r to send a message to the last person who sent you a tell, or use your reply key to cycle through everybody you've talked with for that gaming session. MUCH better than anything diablo has.

Shout is used for being a jackass (one of the things we enjoy the most in the high level game~) and for warning about trains (think someone leading 50 cows to a portal that 20 people are standing around) and the like. The bright red default color gets peoples' attention. OOC is used in the same vein as shout, but more for non urgeant zonewide stuff. friendly asspats, hellos, camp checks, and the like. Auction is used to sell things.

Here's the thing - you can turn all 3 off. Back before the chat channel system was implimented, and you had to conduct raids in ooc, shout, and auction, this was wonderful - people could just turn off the channel being used for a raid and not be spammed. (guildchat has a delay as it goes through the server, while group/ooc/shout/say/auction are automatically sent in the zone.)

You can put ooc/shout/auc/tell/say/chat channels in any window you want, so that tells, or guildchat, or your channels you hang out in are preserved. I have two chat channel windows to go with my main chat.

Which brings us to chat channels. Server wide chat channels so friends across multiple servers, or even not in game with the EQ messenger program can all talk and do whatever they want. The same chat system is used to send direct messages to people on other servers and out of game so friends can stay in touch. They're immensely useful for raids as well, because you no longer need to spam the zone, or guild guests/strangers for them to see what's going on in the raid.

EQ's interface is hands down excellent. The controls, paling in comparison to any fps, are all that's really necessary for the low action, repetitive gameplay of the game. It's really fun being really good with them though and making people who aren't, confused. Especially when you factor in 4th person camera angles and sound.

Anyway, the game has many reasons to be hated and the guy who made this complaint is better off not playing, but at least hate it for valid reasons.
*Pren_LL-AB
USEast HC
Dark_Mutterings (Necromancer)
Doug_Winger (Wearbear)
Heroic career and 1.10 aspirations cut tragically short because NOBODY CAN DO ANYTHING WITH A 22.2K CONNECTION WHY DOES GOD HATE ME.