Massively Multiplayer Online Games
"Oh no , I didn't mean it had to be a fully functional Single Player game -- more like a Demo / Introductory package that could suck me in and leave me wanting more"

You really dont understand most MMOGs. If you try playing them alone it wont "suck you in". You will just think "that game sucks". The whole design of the game is around multiple players.

If they were to disign single player content it would end up being a seperate game.

Plus these games are designed to work on a server with you accessing it. If they made a second version that could run on your comp, it would make the game even more exspensive.

I suppose they could maybe make a version where you just walk around and look at the pretty graphics and learn the interface(PlanetSide sort of has this), but anything beyond that is unreasonable.
Just a couple points:

[*] All MMORPG's give you a free trial month, and some (e.g. Asheron's Call 2, Anarchy Online, Shadowbane, Neocron) let you download the client for free and play for 7-10 days, so they really are risk-free. Personally, I create a new AC2 trial account every few weeks to see how the game is doing, because I think it shows a lot of promise.

[*] Shelf prices for MMORPG games and expansions tend to drop rapidly after the initial release. For example, you can get DAoC plus its first expansion for $14.99 now, Everquest plus the first five expansions for $29.99, or Anarchy Online plus its first "booster pack" and first expansion for $29.99.

Quote:Oh no , I didn't mean it had to be a fully functional Single Player game -- more like a Demo / Introductory package that could suck me in and leave me wanting more ;)
Has anyone mention Neocron yet? It offers a downloadable "tutorial".
Part 4 - 2003 MMOs of the weekly article series Massively Multiplayer Online Games - The Past, The Present, and The Future has been posted.
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Thanks for the bump - remind us next week too :)
Part 5 - Building Whole Societies of the weekly article series Massively Multiplayer Online Games - The Past, The Present, and The Future has been posted.
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Part 6 - The Branded Worlds of the weekly article series Massively Multiplayer Online Games - The Past, The Present, and The Future has been posted.
Part 7 - 2004 And Beyond of the weekly article series Massively Multiplayer Online Games - The Past, The Present, and The Future has been posted.

Quote:World of Warcraft

Developer: Blizzard
Publisher: Blizzard

The Basics: When World of Warcraft debuts -- and given Blizzard's track record with release dates, who knows when this will be? -- it will offer gamers a chance to experience a very popular franchise in a new way. One of the most intriguing things about World of Warcraft is the way it effectively captures the look and feel of the Warcraft RTS games. Many of the classes and their skills are directly drawn from Warcraft III: the paladin, the druid, and the mage are all readily identifiable with their RTS versions. Furthermore, World of Warcraft is built around an online version of Azeroth, complete with goblin zeppelins and griffons for transportation, summonable infernals and voidwalkers, and a bevy of familiar locations and characters.

The races they've announced so far are the expected Orcs, Humans, Night Elves, and Dwarves. There are also Gnomes, bull-like Taurens, and Undead. The classes, each with unique skill sets, include invisible rogues, beast taming hunters, warlocks who can summon monsters, a warrior with specialized combat moves, and a buffing lighting flinging shaman. Blizzard plans Diablo-style skill sets that will let people dramatically differentiate characters from the same class. Spawning dungeons will avoid congestion and selectable quest rewards will make it easier to tailor your inventory. Arena-based matches limited by level should make PvP an option even for new characters. And leveling pets should give it a bit of Diablo II's hireling vibe.

The Pros: If anyone can manage a smooth MMO launch, it should be Blizzard. It knows how to polish games to near-perfection before releasing them, taking all the time it needs to refine gameplay balance and interface issues. And after years of perfecting battle.net, it knows how to manage thousands of people crowding into its servers.

The Cons: Blizzard has never been known for innovation. Will this ultimately come across as just another MMO?
nobbie,Nov 8 2003, 05:05 PM Wrote:The Pros: If anyone can manage a smooth MMO launch, it should be Blizzard. It knows how to polish games to near-perfection before releasing them, taking all the time it needs to refine gameplay balance and interface issues. And after years of perfecting battle.net, it knows how to manage thousands of people crowding into its servers.

The Cons: Blizzard has never been known for innovation. Will this ultimately come across as just another MMO?
I think those guys got these two reversed...
"One day, o-n-e day..."