Cloak of Shadows def bonus question
Don't worry, you'll need that 30 seconds to kill anything in v1.10 :lol:

There are other benefits for a longer CoS duration though. You can, for example, isolate champions and uniques more easily and have enough time to dispatch them before their minions catch up with you. Don't forget that you can persuade Shadow Warriors to cast CoS too when necessary. It's not a bad idea to have your Shadow Warrior cast the first CoS on encountering monsters, then for yourself to move in under cover and cast a second one with better positioning. You will also have plenty of time to deal with woken monsters just outside of CoS' range as they trickle in.
Zath (or anyone else): Is Cloak of Shadows still item_armor_percent in 1.10 final?
Yes, it is still item_armor_percent. I guess Blizzard employees don't lurk here anymore :lol:
> Other Characters:

What about the sorceress' Shiver Armor?
No.

aurastat1= skill_armor_percent (vs enemies)
passivestat1= item_armor_percent (for yourself)

For PvP it's pretty lame that it isn't armor_override_percent (ie overriding other +%def bonuses), since all other skills use skill_armor_percent as well (well alright Berzerk uses override).

I guess it's been discussed before, but a Defiance merc should make your defence sky-high (item_ and skill_ are multiplicative with eachother).
Zath,Sep 24 2003, 01:20 PM Wrote:2): Find the item defense of a character. This is the sum of all defense you obtain from items, which includes your helm, armor, shield, gloves, belts, and boots.

3): Apply item_armor_percent bonuses to the results of #2, then round down.

Sources of item_armor_percent mods include:

- Valkyrie defense bonus
- Spirit Wolf defense bonus
- Dire Wolf defense synergy from Spirit Wolf
- Grizzly defense synergy from Spirit Wolf
- Cloak of Shadows defense bonus
Since Druid summons do not have equipment, they should have a value of 0 in step 2, right? If so, does this imply that the Spirit Wolf defense bonus is meaningless? Zero times any percentage bonus is still zero...

It may also explain why the Valkyrie bonus is sometimes less than stellar. At least she gets random eqipment for it to work on.
---
Ebony Flame
dkass:

That is very likely the case. To be honest however, I am not entirely sure whether or not the item_armor_percent bonus will interact with base defense values set in monstats.txt. I don't believe there is a relationship, but I could be wrong, and certainly have been before. There's a lot of stuff that is hard coded in the DLL, and maybe Druid summons do have some piece of basic armor equipped. If ITD can work on minions, I suppose someone could perform a quick test by modding Druid summons to have some unaturally high defense bonus, then see if there's a difference in to hit chances between that and when they have no defense bonus.
Raziel,Sep 25 2003, 01:36 PM Wrote:(Also.. going back to an earlier point.. what would happen if you made an Iron Golem out of Ribcracker?  Would it have insane defense AND be kickass thx to Crushing Blow?)
Not that I've tried, but are not most staves made out of wood? I doubt Iron Jang Bong would work that well either.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Quote:62% at level 36 huh? Sounds like too much effort... I think i'll stick with level 5 WB + 15 Shadow skills giving me a damn respectable 57% (according to AS). Hey, does the Assassin gets 58 WB at slvl 21? If so, maybe level 6 WB. One skill point for that extra percent of blocking...

Psst. There's something called a +skills ring... ;) And you're forgetting that you COULD theoretically get a claw with +X to weapon block specifically...
Did this feature of CoS sustain through the release of 1.10?
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Zath,Sep 24 2003, 04:20 PM Wrote:2): Find the item defense of a character. This is the sum of all defense you obtain from items, which includes your helm, armor, shield, gloves, belts, and boots.
I am planning a barbarian to use Ribcracker for mid-career. I have a question about what goes into this item defense. On an item of armor is +def applied before +%def? In other words would the bonus of an ivory jewel be applied before the +% bonus of the armor?

And speaking of Ribcracker, it is a mace for purposes of mastery is it not?

Thanks!

Edit: spelling, of course.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
+defense is applied after enhanced defense, not before. That means that a +X defense jewel will always give the armour +X defense, regardless of how much enhanced defense it has.

"Mace mastery" works with all blunt weapons: staves, wands, scepters, clubs, hammers, and maces. So yes, it'll help Ribcracker.
Occhidiangela,Dec 9 2003, 01:43 PM Wrote:Did this feature of CoS sustain through the release of 1.10?
[right][snapback]32372[/snapback][/right]

This thread LIIIIIIVES! :w00t:

Sadly, CoS' defence bonus no longer seems to be multiplicative with enhanced defence from other skills. [Tested in SP with Defiance merc aura active.] Since Zath mentioned that CoS was still item_armor_percent in 1.1 final I'm not sure what to think. Maybe he was mistaken, or maybe all defence bonuses are additive now, or maybe there is something else going on more specific to CoS. A test with a Ribcracker and a Defiance merc or Pally would probably answer the question.
bigeyedbug,Jun 8 2005, 06:18 PM Wrote:This thread LIIIIIIVES!  :w00t:
Sadly, CoS' defence bonus no longer seems to be multiplicative with enhanced defence from other skills. [Tested in SP with Defiance merc aura active.] Since Zath mentioned  that CoS was still item_armor_percent in 1.1 final I'm not sure what to think. Maybe he was mistaken, or maybe all defence bonuses are additive now, or maybe there is something else going on more specific to CoS. A test with a Ribcracker and a Defiance merc or Pally would probably answer the question.
[right][snapback]80014[/snapback][/right]

Tested with Grim's Burning Dead and Defiance, and more CoS just for kicks: all definitely additive. :( Now that I think about it, this was probably already well-known considering the popularity of Ribcracker.