IE 6.0 Question
In IE 6.0 under XP, is there anyway to get rid of that damned "Links" folder from popping up under the Favorites tab? I deleate it, but whenever I restart IE, it magically reappears. I can't do anything to get rid of it! And if I change the name, a new "Links" folder appears. It's maddening! :huh: :blink: :angry: Please, if anyone knows, H-E-L-P!!!

Also, old question, anyone know of any utilities that integrates with OE 6.0 to block senders in mass?

Thanks again for any replies, useful or otherwise :) .
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
...the standard reply of not using IE ;)

I personally have just resorted to deleting the contents and actually using it to throw a bunch of my random favourites in that don't really fit any other description. However, if you do hate it, you can 'get rid' of it by right-clicking on it, going to the Properties and setting it to 'Read-only' and 'Hidden'. That should prevent it from showing up. The alternative way requires you to go through the registry to change a few settings - not sure if you're comfortable with that, especially with an easier solution as above at hand.

Wouldn't know about OE6, I use Eudora :)

-Leshy
"Reality? That's where Microsoft doesn't make Pizza yet!"
-Leshy, Pizza Lover Extraordinaire
http://www.leshy.net
Hmm. Odd. When I killed the Links bar it stayed dead.

You can kill the toolbar, but you cannot kill the folder. It's an IE system folder, and one that is recreated every time IE starts if none is present. And that process takes a little (Tiny slice, you won't notice it) time to do, so you're only slowing things down by killing it repeatedly :)

Leave her alone, she won't bother you.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
nt
WWBBD?
Leshy,Sep 20 2003, 02:20 AM Wrote:...the standard reply of not using IE ;)

I personally have just resorted to deleting the contents and actually using it to throw a bunch of my random favourites in that don't really fit any other description. However, if you do hate it, you can 'get rid' of it by right-clicking on it, going to the Properties and setting it to 'Read-only' and 'Hidden'. That should prevent it from showing up. The alternative way requires you to go through the registry to change a few settings - not sure if you're comfortable with that, especially with an easier solution as above at hand.

Wouldn't know about OE6, I use Eudora :)

-Leshy
"Reality? That's where Microsoft doesn't make Pizza yet!"
Weee... it worked! :D Thanks so much for all the replies. My sanity is left intact afterall. I see that most of you lurkers don't use IE. I've never used anything else. Any suggestions for other browsers with reasons why its superior to IE? I wouldn't mind changing to a better browser.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
For reasons I've mentioned before in this forum (do a search on Firebird), I'd highly recommend using Mozilla Firebird. You might want to wait for the 0.7 release, which should come out in the next week or so, but this is the best web browser period. I've got a userContent.css file (check out Firebird Help's "Editing Config Files" for details) that blocks 99% of the web advertisements out there.

This means I have:
1)Tabbed Browsing
2)No Ads
3)No Popups
4)No Spyware
5)Completely customized cookies
6)A Download structure that makes much more sense than IE's (The Firebird version I currently have is much improved over 0.6.1's in this respect, but it's not a 'regular' release so I wouldn't recommend it to people. 0.7 will have this feature).

And many other features.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Not only that, the task bar of Firebird is totally customizable.

With a little bit of tweaking, I've managed to get the menu bar, all the standard buttons I need plus two, the address bar, and a simple google search bar in one row about 20 pixles high.

Even with multiple tabs, I have a huge portion of my screen actually used for browsing instead of being taken up by just things.
Quote:6)A Download structure that makes much more sense than IE's (The Firebird version I currently have is much improved over 0.6.1's in this respect, but it's not a 'regular' release so I wouldn't recommend it to people. 0.7 will have this feature).

Can you elaborate a little on this, please?

I realise I can just wait for 0.7 (am using 0.6 at the moment, I believe) and see what the changes are then, but well, you're right here and all. ;)
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
[Image: plugins.png]

This should give you a pretty good idea of the changes. Basically, you choose whether or not a file type is opened or saved, and the option is very easily changed. The other part is that you can enable/disable plugins, for instance if you want to save a .pdf and view it seperately instead of using Acrobat's plugin (which I find buggy).

This Article also describes some other coming changes, thought I don't care about them nearly as much :P
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Hi.

Quote:With a little bit of tweaking, I've managed to get the menu bar, all the standard buttons I need plus two, the address bar, and a simple google search bar in one row about 20 pixles high.
You could do this in IE as well :P (except for the Google search, but you can download an addon which will do exactly the same thing), but it's something I've yet to do with Firebird.

Okay, I admit it. I am a very new convert. Hell, I've only just downloaded and installed the Firebird 0.6. I like what I see, given that it's a lot faster than IE. I did actually try a much earlier version when Firebird suddenly became vogue, and I wasn't impressed - It was slower than my sister on a Saturday morning. Not even molasses is that slow. It was also quite a resource hog, I'm on a computer that is considered "archaic" by most dinosaurs, and the earlier version robbed me of my precious resources. But it seems they've improved, and now I kinda regret not keeping up with the development.

Couple of things I don't really like. The first being that clicking on the "Quote" button on IPB boards such as this doesn't work at all, anyone else experiencing this? The post-bar "Reply" is also slow to respond, while the bottom of the page thread reply button (Which this forum doesn't have) is all but instantaneous.

I'd also like to see a click-drag of the address bar actually allow you to select part of the address, rather than not as seems to be the case. When I'm moving from site to site, I tend to leave the http://www where it is and type the rest, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

That said though, I can see this is gonna be a helluva lot of fun :D
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

Yes, IE does that as well.

In fact, my IE is currently set to be as such.

Firebird with the Pinball themese is just prettier though. Plus, there's the mini-Googlebar.

To select text in the address bar, you need to first de-select it's selection. (does this make sense? :P) Click once to focus, click twice to deselect, then you can click-and-drag to select text.

Of course, unless I want to visit a .ca, .net, or .org address, I simply go with the Alt-D and Ctrl+Enter combo.

Say I want to visit the Lounge without going to the Favorites -- or rather Booksmarks -- menu.

Alt-D, type in "lurkerlounge", Ctrl+Enter, and voila! Firebird adds in "http://www." and ".com" automatically for you. IE does this as well, but I didn't find out about it untill I was playing around with Firebird.
YZilla,Sep 21 2003, 06:00 PM Wrote:To select text in the address bar, you need to first de-select it's selection. (does this make sense? :P) Click once to focus, click twice to deselect, then you can click-and-drag to select text.
Yeah, it's odd. It wouldn't happen the first time I started Firebird, but now it's working fine without any effort whatsoever.

Same goes for the "Quote" thing on this board, as you can probably see.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

Since this thread has turned into Browser War, I thought I should comment...

I use IE, with the 2.0 Version of Google Toolbar, which is quite possibly one of the best popup blockers out there. Not only does it block them, but it displays that it blocked them, so you know they were there (cause sometimes you WANT the pop-up)

While I do have the occassion stability problem (My browser & the battle.net forums do NOT get along) they are nothing compared to the problems I've had with the Netscape/Mozilla line, and I've never liked opera since the time they thought it would be a good idea to have a free version, and a pay version. I've paid for a browser with Microsoft, and unlike Opera, most web developers SUPPORT IE.
naraht,Sep 21 2003, 04:53 PM Wrote:Since this thread has turned into Browser War, I thought I should comment...
Actually, no one here started anything near a browser war until you posted that.
Two posts were made in jest, and the rest followed after someone specifically asked about the advantages of leaving IE behind.

Now, if you want a browser "war"?

Quote:I use IE, with the 2.0 Version of Google Toolbar, which is quite possibly one of the best popup blockers out there.  Not only does it block them, but it displays that it blocked them, so you know they were there (cause sometimes you WANT the pop-up)

Funny, I prefer something that's 100% seamless to a plugin. Note that your little "displays that it blocked them" has been in Firebird for quite some time (before Google's Toolbar even blocked popups), and I believe Mozilla picked it up later.

Quote:While I do have the occassion stability problem (My browser & the battle.net forums do NOT get along) they are nothing compared to the problems I've had with the Netscape/Mozilla line,

First off, when anyone says "Netscape" they're not talking about Mozilla. Netscape 6+ may use Mozilla code, but that's a pointless observation. Netscape 6.x was using beta Mozilla code, the Mozilla developers specifically said it wasn't ready. Netscape 7.x used stable, Mozilla 1.0, code but took out the best feature and added in a bunch of crap to go with it. Netscape != Mozilla, and most mozilla developers are quite happy to finally be rid of AOL/Netscape.

This is, of course, besides the fact that IE persists on crashing all the time for me, while the only crashbug I've had an issue with in Firebird was an autocomplete bug that was easy to avoid and has since been fixed.

Quote:and I've never liked opera since the time they thought it would be a good idea to have a free version, and a pay version.
The heathens! The actually requested that they somehow earn revenue for their job! How dare they!

</sarcasm>

Don't call a product "bad" because you're unwilling to pay a developer for their efforts

Quote:I've paid for a browser with Microsoft, and unlike Opera, most web developers SUPPORT IE.
Just for clarification: did you actually pay for your OS? Last time I checked IE itself was quite free, anyway. Hell, I can get a crappy version of it for Mac too if I wanted.

As for support, you're flat out wrong. I've had problems with exactly one website since I switched to Firebird. It was a crappy website, by the way. That whole "support" thing is a propaganda-filled pile of crap.

And if web designers that do "support IE" weren't complete idiots, we wouldn't have this problem ever. A webmaster's job is not to support a browser, it's to support standards. You know, those little guidlines Microsoft says IE follows? IE follows these so well that it can actually make a site look horrible because it's doesn't know anything about CSS?

Hell, I barely even mentioned any advantage to Firebird or the other problems IE has, like ActiveX. But now you have your "browser war."
Quark,Sep 21 2003, 05:10 PM Wrote:First off, when anyone says "Netscape" they're not talking about Mozilla.&nbsp; Netscape 6+ may use Mozilla code, but that's a pointless observation.&nbsp; Netscape 6.x was using beta Mozilla code, the Mozilla developers specifically said it wasn't ready.&nbsp; Netscape 7.x used stable, Mozilla 1.0, code but took out the best feature and added in a bunch of crap to go with it.&nbsp; Netscape != Mozilla, and most mozilla developers are quite happy to finally be rid of AOL/Netscape.
Sorry, I should have dated my comment, as I first started (and then stopped) using netscape back in the late 90s, when Netscape == Mozilla. I am well aware that they have taken diffrent paths, and I have tried them on occassion and have been less than impressed.

As to your comment about paying for my OS...yes, I paid for my copy of XP-Pro.
Do I think it's wrong for them to want money for their browser? No. But I have a hard time shelling out money for an inferior (in my opinion) product, where better products exist, and for no additional money. It's like paying $.50 for a store brand soda, when Coca-Cola is giving sodas away for free. (I realize Coke doesn't actually do this)

Ideally I'd be either using Mozilla for Linux, or Konqueror or one of the other Linux browsers, but I hate dual booting, and my DII & RCT2 addictions prevent me from switching back over to Linux. Someday I'll get a 2nd system, so I can have my WinBox for Games/DVDs (the other reason I don't switch) and a LinuxBox for Web Applications
Quote:I use IE, with the 2.0 Version of Google Toolbar, which is quite possibly one of the best popup blockers out there. Not only does it block them, but it displays that it blocked them, so you know they were there (cause sometimes you WANT the pop-up)

Maybe, but Mozilla and firebird have the pop-up feature built in to the browser with no additional download. IE does not. It's just the folks at google were kind enough to deal with what IE does not.

Quote:While I do have the occassion stability problem (My browser & the battle.net forums do NOT get along) they are nothing compared to the problems I've had with the Netscape/Mozilla line, and I've never liked opera since the time they thought it would be a good idea to have a free version, and a pay version. I've paid for a browser with Microsoft, and unlike Opera, most web developers SUPPORT IE.

There are very few pages that IE can view that firebird cannot.There's no reason to make a page IE only. And most of them support the Active XPloit technology that IE supports. Active X is more of a security risk than anything else. It is used by numerous malware and spyware makers to exploit other's computers. It's one thing I could live without.

Try reading this:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/htasploit/
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)