AIM on the fritz
AIM is my preferred instant messenger service. Back in August, about a week before I came back to Hollins, I decided to upgrade the AIM on my computer to the latest release to stop that annoying popup. Now AIM refuses to work. I've downloaded other versions, installed, uninstalled, reinstalled, and AIM still refuses to work.

I contacted AOL Helpdesk by phone and got cut off twice. I contacted AOL Helpdesk by email. I just recieved their third "your email is very important to us" message. I have a feeling they're trying to tell me bend over just a little bit more, we need to stick it to ya just a bit deeper...

Downloaded Trillian. That refuses to work. YIM and MSN aren't working either. I'm reduced to using AIM Express, AIM's little Java applet messenger.

I'm barely computer literate. (Remember the HTML posts?) I'm hoping that this problem is easily fixed. Anyone have any thoughts on what to do?
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
I cant stand AIM, and I keep uninstalling it. It keeps coming back (methinks my daughter is the culprit.) How can I totally corrupt the AIM executable file so that it never works! :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
If your daughter is not entirely computer literate, put a line in your autoexec.bat (Or whatever your OS processes on startup) that deletes the AIM executable. Fun for all the family! Uh, except for your daughter...
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
gaim? what's that? it's basically an open source messenger thingy that allows you to use several IM programmes at once. It resides on my PC, but since I know absolutely no-one that uses any of the IM things (oh, wait my brother uses MSN, but I can shout down the stairs far easier, and save bandwidth ;) ) I've hardly had a chance to use it, so for that reason I have little experience with said programme or how well it works, perhaps someone with a little more experience can comment further? Just throwing the name around to ring some bells.

anyway, the page for gaim is

assuming you're using windowz, er, windows

The following is a joke

occhi, you could always take a large bar magnet to your hard disk and start again... :blink:

hmm, perhaps not

the above was a joke

-Bob
Don't bother with that bloated piece of crap that spams all those stupid shortcuts on your desktop and also does rather questionable things. "free.aol.com" as a trusted site? Trillian forever! Or at least for a while.

Edit: I'm blind. Why doesn't Trillian work? Make sure the latest patch is loaded. Trillian's support forum is down for now, but it will be back up soon, and you could try going there. It's quite useful, as compared to AIM's tech support.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
This link is more or less on-topic.

Either way, it's news to AIM users.

-DeeBye
NiteFox,Sep 18 2003, 07:52 PM Wrote:If your daughter is not entirely computer literate, put a line in your autoexec.bat (Or whatever your OS processes on startup) that deletes the AIM executable.  Fun for all the family! Uh, except for your daughter...
It's even better if you simply make a .bat file that will delete that executable and put it as a cron job every 5 minutes or so to make sure it never gets installed (task scheduler? I'm not sure what's it called in Windows).
Walkiry,Sep 19 2003, 09:13 AM Wrote:I'm not sure what's it called in Windows).
at
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
You need an act II merc.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Count Duckula,Sep 18 2003, 12:59 PM Wrote:AIM is my preferred instant messenger service. Back in August, about a week before I came back to Hollins, I decided to upgrade the AIM on my computer to the latest release to stop that annoying popup. Now AIM refuses to work. I've downloaded other versions, installed, uninstalled, reinstalled, and AIM still refuses to work.

I contacted AOL Helpdesk by phone and got cut off twice. I contacted AOL Helpdesk by email. I just recieved their third "your email is very important to us" message. I have a feeling they're trying to tell me bend over just a little bit more, we need to stick it to ya just a bit deeper...

Downloaded Trillian. That refuses to work. YIM and MSN aren't working either. I'm reduced to using AIM Express, AIM's little Java applet messenger.

I'm barely computer literate. (Remember the HTML posts?) I'm hoping that this problem is easily fixed. Anyone have any thoughts on what to do?
Hrm...part of me is wondering if the problem is not in the messanger, but in the internet connection. How excatly are you currently connecting to the internet? It's possible that especially if you have a router, to ports are being blocked...

On the otherhand, I've never trusted the AIM client, and do use trillian. Have you tried completely uninstalling AIM, then reinstalling? (or then reinstalling trillian, etc)
*Goes looking for the old DOS manual . . .* gotta make sure I get the syntax right. :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete