The future MMOG for you Lurkers?
If you want a great Strategy RPG, I very highly recommend Disgaea: Hour of Darkness. From what I've heard, FFTA doesn't live up to the PS1 original whereas Disgaea has been ranked about even with it. The game involves quite an interesting story which takes place in the Netherworld starring the Prince Laharl. There's great humor, as well as awesome voice actors. The Geo Combo system creates lots of fun, and the spells/skills are insane and outrageous. Overall, I'm having tons of fun with it, and I'm not too sure why I'm not playing it at this moment. ;)

It seems like you live in Europe though, so I'm not sure if it is out there yet, or if it will come out.
Is grace enough to build a bridge once burned, to fill that which is hollow with the substance of virtue,
Though the wings of a dove have wiped a tear from my eye, my tongue has fanned the flames of transgression,
But love suffers long and rejoices in truth, and this imperfect creation is striving none the less for that which is eternal...

- Hopesfall - The Broken Heart Of A Traitor
Somehow, even if I melt and fold the PS2 CD into a sizable piece, I don't think that game will work with my GBA :unsure:
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Kryn,Sep 27 2003, 02:59 PM Wrote:It seems like you live in Europe though, so I'm not sure if it is out there yet, or if it will come out.
Basically it comes down to this: If you're in Europe, console makers don't really belive you exist.

The only reference to a release of Disgaea was a post in the developers forum that went along the lines of "we're working with the US release after Japan, after that we'll start paying attention to the rest of the world".
I think the next game for me is the very promising looking MMORPG Ultima X: Odyssey from Origin/EA. It's based on the legendary Ultima license, and from what I could see and hear so far, it seems to be very good and doesn't demand from you the time investment usually involved in MMORPG's, i.e. UO, EQ, WOW, etc. WOW will not be out and stable enough before early 2005 (at least that's my opinion), and even though Diablo II 1.10 will certainly breathe some life into the game, it's getting old for me. The endless waiting after 2 years of promising but not delivering this patch has also left its traces on my gamer soul. It's time to look for a good alternative, and UXO appears just right. I'm a bit sceptical about MMORPG's in general (time involved + monthly fees) and cannot say yet if this will be the thing for me, but if UXO isn't too demanding (time- and money-wise), they'll have me as customer. WOW, on the other hand, with its immense complexity (I hope Blizzard gets all features right this time) might prove a bit too time-consuming for my personal taste, but I'll certainly look closely at the game at friends once it's out and make my final decision then. As for WOW being the next #1 MMORPG hit or "Second coming", I doubt it. In my opinion, Blizzard's glory days are over and after the current (and future) key personnel departures, all that will be left is a legendary brand name and its franchises under the administration of some media giant. I am happy though that I could enjoy the games of Blizzard's creative pioneer days, but they have come to an end now, without doubt. Time to move on :)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Well, sorry :huh: , I didn't know if had a PS2 or not. Still, to anyone who does, if you see Disgaea in a store, buy it. ;)
Is grace enough to build a bridge once burned, to fill that which is hollow with the substance of virtue,
Though the wings of a dove have wiped a tear from my eye, my tongue has fanned the flames of transgression,
But love suffers long and rejoices in truth, and this imperfect creation is striving none the less for that which is eternal...

- Hopesfall - The Broken Heart Of A Traitor
Walkiry,Sep 27 2003, 06:37 PM Wrote:Basically it comes down to this: If you're in Europe, console makers don't really belive you exist.
Last numbers for game sales I saw for Europe was something like 50% PC and 50% console (ie. all consoles combined). However that was about a year ago and I expect that consoles have gained some ground since then, still it's nowhere as large a market share as in either US or Japan. For bottomline purposes Europe isn't important in the console buisiness.
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Bolty,Sep 14 2003, 04:31 AM Wrote:I'm not claiming that I'm pouring 20 hours a week into the site right now, but at one time (start of D2 through the expansion release) I was.
*phew* For a moment I read 20 hours a day there. Had to go back and reread to see what it actually said :)
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Walkiry,Sep 27 2003, 04:37 PM Wrote:Basically it comes down to this: If you're in Europe, console makers don't really belive you exist.
True, release dates for the GBA are even more lax these days than they were in the heyday of the SNES. Golden Sun: The Lost Age was just released over here six months after I've completed it using the US import, they're purpously holding back Advance Wars 2 and FFTA to be nearer Christmas, and there's still no news on a Europe release for Tactics Ogre, which I'm going to buy tomorrow. Zelda 3 was delayed three months in order to coincide with the release of the SP. Feh.

Still, at least we got Metroid Fusion before Japan...
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
nobbie,Sep 27 2003, 01:11 PM Wrote:I think the next game for me is the very promising looking MMORPG Ultima X: Odyssey from Origin/EA.
If you go to their website, go to their Media section and click on the Video link. The UXO Premiere Event video that you can download there (25 megs, ouch, but it's well done) has a shot of me in the PvP tournament clapping after spanking someone down at around 3:40 into the video.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Yeah, I've downloaded and seen all clips from their site (I have a fast DSL-connection). As you've said in your UXO preview, the screenshots barely do the game justice. Even though the videos show just some short in-game sequences, one can already see that the game must have a gorgeous atmosphere. Origin with Ultima are true pioneers in the MMORPG genre - if not THE pioneers - and this game looks like it's build on years of solid, hands-on experience with the technology and - most importantly - the customers in this genre. The edge that Origin has over the competition in this regard promises a really good game that might be the upcoming #1 MMORPG, probably not in number of sales (that's where others are good at ;)), but in advanced gameplay and features that work as advertised. An expansion to UXO that will include not yet polished features has been announced already, so that we can certainly expect a winter release in Q1/2004, which is VERY SOON™ (by Origin standards, not that of some other companies ;))
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
...Planetside. Later on, World of Warcraft. And that's about it. PS is a welcome change from every other game I've played lately (mostly RPGs and RTSs / TBSs), and it's holding my interest ravenously. I can't say whether it'll last long-term (a year and beyond), but for the last few weeks, it's been all I play. And that won't be changing anytime soon.
Roland *The Gunslinger*