How does grizzly's passive stack?
According to the lying skill sheet, it currently isn't. lvl20 grizzly does 300-330 damage, instead of the 700ish it ought to be doing. From minimal testing comparing it to tornado, it appears to be accurate. Which really, really sucks. But we're going to assume this /horribly glaring, dibilitating, stupid bug/ is going to be fixed eventually.

So, the math, for happier times.

The bear is happily mauling away at 300-330 + 125% (675-742.5)[I think the game truncates, so 742?)

Now we add other modifiers, and the question arises. Is the bear's passive counted as a str/aura bonus?

Bear by itself: 675-742.
With lvl20 (230%) might: 1365-1501 [4.55(300-330)]
20 might and 20 HoW(157%): 1836-2019 [6.12(300-330)

Or does the passive bonus act like a passive should (read: most likely doesn't) and modify the bear's base damage?
Might: 2227-2448 [3.3(675-742)]
Might+HoW: 3287-3613 [4.87(675-742)]

Needless to say the latter would be preferable. With medium +skills, you could get a grizzly hitting for around 5k damage. In the same circumstances with the more likely first scenario, the bear is hitting for low-mid 3000s.

Does anybody know?
Also, does anybody know if the current bladeshield and grizzly bugs can be fixed by simply modifying the mpq files?
*Pren_LL-AB
USEast HC
Dark_Mutterings (Necromancer)
Doug_Winger (Wearbear)
Heroic career and 1.10 aspirations cut tragically short because NOBODY CAN DO ANYTHING WITH A 22.2K CONNECTION WHY DOES GOD HATE ME.
Quote:But we're going to assume this /horribly glaring, dibilitating, stupid bug/ is going to be fixed eventually.

grizzly isn't a paladin skill, so it'll more likely be nerfed.

Quote:Also, does anybody know if the current bladeshield and grizzly bugs can be fixed by simply modifying the mpq files?

yep.

for the wolves, they have in passivestat3 the damage bonus from grizzlys, which uses the damage bonus grizzlys have in param1-2.

it'd make a lot more sense if just the base damage was increased(since that does increase as well), but that's not the case. i could change it to that though, or to critical strike.

btw, you miscalculated a bit ;) because of the initial bonus, you should reduce the per lvl bonus by 1. so the bear gives +120% at lvl 20.

edit > alright, which version are you using? here is the change for 1.10:

http://w1.853.telia.com/~u85315327/temp/gr...ield_change.zip

just unzip(with using/saving? folders) to your d2 directory, then create a shortcut to the diablo exe and:

go to properties of it > shortcut > name and add -direct -txt after the [´b]"[/b]/quotation mark
Quote:Does anybody know?
Also, does anybody know if the current bladeshield and grizzly bugs can be fixed by simply modifying the mpq files?

Yes they can be. For Blade shield goto the skills.txt file and change SrcDam=3 to SrcDmg=32. For fixing the damage display of the grizzly goto skilldesc.txt and for the skill summon grizzly change the field descsalca2 from blank to skill('Summon Grizzly'.ln12); that should make the damage that the grizzly is doing display correctly. The should be handling the internal calculations of the damage correctly, just as it is handling the necro skeletons life correctly in the game but displaying it wrong on the character screen.

slvl=20 Grizzly
base damage is 300-330
with the +120% damage from the skill 660-726
300*(100+120)/100=660
330*(100+120)/100=726

with slvl=20 Might (+230%) it would be 1350-1485
300*(100+120+230)/100=1350
330*(100+120+230)/100=1485
etc.

Your first method is the correct one.

Edit:
If you apply adamantine txt file as a fix you will end up superpowering the grizzly as you will be boosting the base damage significantly before the passivestat1 of damagepercent is applied. Adamantine did not properly take into account that this was truely a case of "lying skill sheet", not a problem with the internal handling of the skill.
I'm sorry: this topic seemed like a good excuse to talk too much about my old bear, and i've already lost the ability to stop myself.
WHhhhee
eeee
eeee
eee
ee
e
e

*ouch*

He was so great! He was lvl ~40, and I think he had ~2.1k listed damage, but that wasn't enough for me!
Nope! So I got him a pet merc, and I don't know what his damage was then, cause he never explained how passive bonuses stack with auras. But instead of calmly figuring out the situation I decided to make it worse, so I went out and got a HoW even though I didn't know if that was going to stack the same way as might, the stacking of which I didn't understand in the first place. And if I thought I was lost then, I was in for a dirty, wretched surprise! He never told me that he could only do 1/4 damage against superuniques, and bosses, and people I wanted him to kill! Looking back, he must have been too ashamed to admit it. It doesn't matter though, he's dead now! But he was so great! I was confused about him after I found out his damage was different against different targets, despite their resists, because I had always wondered if he did more damage than he would admit. Why? Because he always knocked hell cows down to a millimeter of life in the first two hits, and gave them a massive overkill on the third.

Now, a bear's max damage is almost his average damage, so "my bear does 4k" is different than "my zon does 4k (actually, 4.05k if you add in her min dmg)," but even still, it seemed like auras were stacking more powerfully than simply being added in equally to his passive bonus and multiplying total %ED by his base dmg. I could swear I recall using barbs with ~4k avg dmg, and a mastery bug to boot, that usually took 4 hits or so to kill a cow. Was there any quirk with .09 bears and PvM damage?

Sweet, I stopped talking!
Quote:If you apply adamantine txt file as a fix you will end up superpowering the grizzly as you will be boosting the base damage significantly before the passivestat1 of damagepercent is applied. Adamantine did not properly take into account that this was truely a case of "lying skill sheet", not a problem with the internal handling of the skill.

i did what he wanted, what's the problem with that?

i removed the damage bonus obviously...*hits head* i updated the zip now with the correct...everything. i had the filename wrong too :unsure:

StateOLuvNTrust(good thing you can copy names easily...) :
smite has both ignore target defence and ignore target block, so that could of been why he "performed" so good.

in 1.09 cows only had 1.4-2.9k hp, so it shouldn't of taken that many hits to kill them. although i don't remember what the hp scaling was then.
adamantine,Sep 6 2003, 05:08 PM Wrote:i did what he wanted, what's the problem with that?

i removed the damage bonus obviously...*hits head* i updated the zip now with the correct...everything. i had the filename wrong too  :unsure:
Because at that time it was not what Pren wanted. Pren esentially asked three questions.

First how to correctly calculate the damage from the differnt effects like the damagepercent from Grizzly. That has been answered.

Second, 'how to fix the bug with Blade Shield?' That has been readily answered due to it being a minor typo in the files.

Third, 'how to fix the bug with Grizzly?' The thing is that the bug with Grizzly is the same as several of the skills, there is either the wrong op code being used in parts of the skilldesc.txt file or the wrong parmeters or formulas are being fed to the op codes in that file. In the case of Grizzly the bug is that the correct formula was not even listed for the op code 9 for the Summon Grizzly skill (it is listed for the Summon Spirit Wolf and Summon Fenris skills though).

With the first file that you listed, you still had both your changes to the base damage and the damgepercent modifier still there. Even with the second listing that has removed the damagepercent modifier from the passive stats there will be the problem that the Grizzly's damage will not scale in the same manner when used with other skills such as Might and/or Heart of the Wolverine. It will scale to much higher amounts by a significant factor. For example:

normal game effect slvl=20 Grizzly and slvl=20 Might the damge would be 1350-1485.

With the second set of modifications that you presented the amount would end up being 2263-2376.

This variance from the game would just get pressivly worse as the skill levels got higher and would not be very representative of what is going on in the standard game. It would just be another 'bug' so to speak if Pren is really just wanting to try to 'fix' some of the problems in the game to get a better feel of what it will play like at final release.

To fix a bug, define what the bug really is and then find a fix for that part of the problem. Don't just slap some other type of patch into the fray to hope that it will fix things as more often than not it just becomes one more problem down the line.
geez i know i know.

but how would you think if fireball got the synergies it gives to other skills, but had its damage reduced by the same amount as the synergy it gives? that's just stupid, no skill should gives synergies to itself.

i don't see how a damage increase is that overpowering, and besides it's even just physical damage, and the bear only hits one target at once.

now something which is really a bug is the act 2 mercs attack speed, any other attack in the game is effected by your weapons speed(ok, let's ignore blade fury for now), but they get to attack in hyper speed with a 3x higher damage weapon than other classes/mercs?

or what about valkyries? has there been any damage study in 1.10 for them? the only "study" i did was getting killed by a lvl 64's(although she could of had +50 all skills) valk in 1 hit even though i had over 1k hp.

i have to admit though i've hardly played druids, and not summon druids at all, seems too passive(same with necros). so i could just be speaking out of my ass and the bear is incredibly(more than freezing arrow, poison nova, corpse exploison, plague javelin, lightning fury, conc's 'mastery' effect on blessed hammer..etc) overpowered already.

what i do know is that whoever is making these changes are very biased towards paladins(hell it could of been since the expansion, who's the only one that got good automods?), and won't bother fixing/improving other classes, in particular the druid.

so modded single-player is the only way to play for me, i care absolutely nothing about what the (non-existant) final release will be.

oh and as for wrong descriptions, that's really something that needs to be fixed(which blizzard won't), where a modded game will be better again.
Well guys, I appreciate the info. Yeah, I got 125% because the char I was messing around with had slvl21 griz and I was absent minded.

I was an mpq reader back in the day, but that was during 1.06 or so. I seem to recall that there were a lot of bugs we couldn't fix with mpq editing back then, but the mods made since then seem to imply that almost everything can be done. Good stuff :)

Of course, it seems that grizzly damage isn't actually broken, just the LSS display for it? Interesting. That's highly disappointing.

I've tried about every manner of elemental druid possible and it's really disheartening. Takes so many skill points to synergize fire skills, the timer on them, hurricane/tornado being cookie cutter, the summons tree being the weakest in the game, etc.

Multiply armageddon damage by 5, poison creeper by 10, fix spirit immunities, make pets not suck again. :(
*Pren_LL-AB
USEast HC
Dark_Mutterings (Necromancer)
Doug_Winger (Wearbear)
Heroic career and 1.10 aspirations cut tragically short because NOBODY CAN DO ANYTHING WITH A 22.2K CONNECTION WHY DOES GOD HATE ME.
Quote:I've tried about every manner of elemental druid possible and it's really disheartening. Takes so many skill points to synergize fire skills, the timer on them, hurricane/tornado being cookie cutter, the summons tree being the weakest in the game, etc.

i'm a slow as hell modder, but what i'm trying to do now(when i'm finished balancing every armour/weapon, only the str req/def portion, the usefulifying automods for most items will have to wait) is make weapon using necromancers/sorceress' possible, by giving you tons of automatic synergies from all spells. maybe afterwards i'll try to fix elemental druids.

what the elemental tree should do is being synergized with shapeshifting and summoning. having all spells work when transformed, cyclone armour giving +max resist/physical resist to you and summons, every point in elemental spell giving elemental damage to your attacks, using molten boulder for knockback like smite, elemental mastery, a huge cold duration on arctic blast so you can use it to slow down enemies every now and then, those kind of things. useful like paladin auras/abilities.

something unique would be a protecting circle kind of spell, like assys cloak of shadows, but anything not inside the circle can't attack/harm you. maybe a stronger cyclone armour?