Pot-Stirring Time
Hi,

Someone else always has the easier job ... until you try it yourself.

Yeah, sure, right.

I've written a few hundred thousand lines of code. If someone told me that "the equation where you calculate the mana shield damage reduction, the fraction is inverted" and it took me more than two minutes to fix that as part of a major patch on the code, I'd have quit in disgust.

So, take your one liners and park them in a private dark place.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

In the corporate software market you have the added problem of consolidation (like EA, or Computer Associates) who are constantly buying anything they can for the existing consumer (hostage) base.

That got a big grin out of me, given that my past 10 years exp as a "user" is one of profound frustration with the enforced upgrades to zero value added versions of NT and MicroStuff products just as soon as I almost master the nuances of the old one. :P What a waste.

4/5 bottles ratings

Hey, we gotta have some sort of measuring stick, and I like things in bottles! :) Your post got a 4 bottles of five rating, though. Cheers! :D (Irony: have been dry for a few weeks while fighting the local crud/bug that arrives from Mexico every summer. Hello headaches for two weeks, high fever for fun, blech! Kids are finally over it, the Missus, with two X chromosomes, fought it off bravely, and I am finally finishing the rear guard action with a few hit poits lost. Now, where's that Healing Potion of Guinness, I wonder?)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Sep 15 2003, 09:15 AM Wrote:(Irony: have been dry for a few weeks while fighting the local crud/bug that arrives from Mexico every summer.  Hello headaches for two weeks, high fever for fun, blech!  Kids are finally over it, the Missus, with two X chromosomes, fought it off bravely, and I am finally finishing the rear guard action with a few hit poits lost.  Now, where's that Healing Potion of Guinness, I wonder?)
I cannot blame the proximity of Mexico for what ails us, but it has been my observation that the first two weeks of school yield an almost certainty of some bug to sweep through the family. I have always blamed it on the back-to-school mix'n'match of viruses that the kids do as they greet their school companions again.

Any chance that theory fits for you too?

And, if you find that Healing Potion of Guinness, please do share the secret of the source? :D
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Since last year it hit me before School Year started, not sure if that theory will hold as well as my Doctor friend from Baylor's explanation of vector borne disease. :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Sep 16 2003, 03:15 AM Wrote:In the corporate software market you have the added problem of consolidation (like EA, or Computer Associates) who are constantly buying anything they can for the existing consumer (hostage) base.

That got a big grin out of me, given that my past 10 years exp as a "user" is one of profound frustration with the enforced upgrades to zero value added versions of NT and MicroStuff products just as soon as I almost master the nuances of the old one.  :P  What a waste.

4/5 bottles ratings

Hey, we gotta have some sort of measuring stick, and I like things in bottles! :)  Your post got a 4 bottles of five rating, though.  Cheers! :D  (Irony: have been dry for a few weeks while fighting the local crud/bug that arrives from Mexico every summer.  Hello headaches for two weeks, high fever for fun, blech!  Kids are finally over it, the Missus, with two X chromosomes, fought it off bravely, and I am finally finishing the rear guard action with a few hit poits lost.  Now, where's that Healing Potion of Guinness, I wonder?)
ROFL.

Well yes, but I don't plan on purchasing my post ;)
Well, that is real fast, especially if the source code was written by someone else, if you wanted to think it over and not just type in what others say, and if you wanted to test it.

"So, take your one liners and park them in a private dark place."

That was to prevent unneeded unpleasantries, like this one. And I think it is less provocative as using the subject for it.