When you're not feeling all that hot..
Hi

As of this moment, I am currently (hopefully) recuperating from some stomach troubles I've had the last couple of days. Been running back and forth to the bathroom all day. Right now, I'm extremely hungry, but I don't know what's OK for me to eat in this condition. I certainly don't want a relapse. I've been feeding on my mother's fibre-bombs (known in this household as "homemade bread") and boiled water. It's said to calm the stomach, however I don't see myself getting full with this; besides I don't even know if it's working.

Any tips?

Does by any chance chocolade help? :unsure:
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Chocolate? I really hope you're kidding :D

This is my experience, YMMV:

Boiled rice will help. Rice balls and such, not sure about soja sauce (so that it's not that plain), but vinegar has never let me down when trying to spice up the rice a bit being in your same situation.

Egg is also supposed to be stomach-friendly, taken with care. An omelette won't do much harm, if possible don't use oil (or eat boiled eggs, although I find those a bit too boring).

Tea is also good, it's an astringent (I hope that means the same it means in spanish). Strong black tea, no sugar.

And yes, bread (low fiber one is better) will also do fine. If the one your mom makes has too much fiber better go for some other kind of bread.

Mashed potatoes can also fill you up, try not to use those "ready-to-make" ones, rather boild the potatoes yourself and don't use milk.

Fruit is best avoided, bananas are OK though.

And play lots of computer games, they'll keep your mind away from other thoughts ;)
Bananas, rice, apples, toast. That is what we were advised to feed our kids, when they were quite young, during times of stomach upset.

Rice for sure, apples may be a bit acidic for you and toast should be fine. I'd go with taters over bananas for the potassium fix, but bananas take less work to prepare. :D
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Thanks for the replies. An omelet would be fabulous right now. Been filling up on stick bread.

I should also mention that I asked my parents what could be the reason for my stomach-problems, and they asked me if I was the one who'd been eating all the plums they brought home from their cabin.

'twas ;)

So evidently, eating too many plums and grapes have an ill-tempered effect on one's stomach. I'll never binge on plums again!

edit: and yes, I was kidding about the chocolate ;)

And for passing time, I have Sopranos-episodes.

edit#2:

I made myself a bacon, cheese and tomato omelette. Mmmm; quite tasty. Not too salty, but with enough flavour to keep me entertained. :)
Quote:I made myself a bacon, cheese and tomato omelette

Two out of those three are recommended against in your case, but given that you're already "recovering" and not actively "in the process of constantly visiting mr. whity" you should be fine. I hope you didn't overdo the bacon though...

Nice one about the BRAT Occi, I'll remember that ;)
That was a Lord of the Flies reference, in case you are confused.

;)
;)
;)
;)
;)
;)
;)
;)
;)

Slight Lord of the Flies Spoiler

:o

When the boys eat nothing but berries picked from local bushes, many of them end up squatting on their haunches, in a most ungentlemanly fashion, and are said by their unsympathetic companions to have been "caught short." Sort of like Montezuma's Revenge, Remote Island.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I can eat a whole bag of grapes and/or plums, and feel GOOD. Guess I just lucked out in that, eh?

Then again, I can also eat a whole jar of Jalapeno Dill Pickles at 3 A.M., go back to bed, and sleep like a baby. :D

(Website back up; all the old files still remain. Work shall recommence on my D2 mod... eventually. Planning for future developments is already in the works - now I just need to find the time and the motivation.)
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Quote:Then again, I can also eat a whole jar of Jalapeno Dill Pickles at 3 A.M., go back to bed, and sleep like a baby

Hmmm I remember when I was young, I too had a cast iron stomach. One of the many things that become fond memories as your 40th birthday slips further into the past.

Anything bland and easy to digest should help with the gastrointestinal gymastics.

If solids aren't an option then chicken broth is the way to go.
Some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything but you just can't help but smile when you see them tumble down the stairs.

Heheheheheh

I can eat homemade pickled habenaros by the dozens with no ill effects. I belch fire like some angry dragon.

But if I drink one little glass of milk it curdles in my stomach and makes me sick as a damn dog.

Funny how that works eh?

Mmm pickles... Right now I have a batch of habenaros, cucumbers, and sweet onions pickling in a barrel. Give em about a week and they will be done.

As for sick foods, I find that a bowl of barley and lintels with a little bit of lamb is just about the perfect food for a sickly tummy.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
When I'm sick the first thing I do is make sure that I am well hydrated. Water, apple juice, orange juice, etc. When I eat I have soft things...or very little because I want to make sure I keep it down.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
I am now back in shape. Thanks to Walkiry ( and the rest of you) for some good advice.
Now I know how to make an omelet.

I even dared finishing off my pack of chocolade chipped cookies I had startet on prior to the 2 day marathon between my PC and the bathroom. Besides feeling a bit chubby (65 kilograms at 1.70 centimeters) I feel fine.

Good to know which board to consult for these kinds of things ;)
Vomit.
It may not taste very good, but there will be that much less to clean up afterwards.

Sorry, I just had to get that out of my system. :p
It wasn't that kind of stomach troubles...

... :blink:

(I just didn't want to be that specific.)