there when I get back? Or if I were to drop an item early
in the game, would it stay there no matter what until the
end of my current game. I'm new to Diablo and was hoping to
get some advice from the true sages of the Diablo
universe(that being you guys) Thanks.
-Lorik
+LORIK+
Hiya

If you are playing Singleplayer diablo, then any item you place on the ground and save after doing so, will be saved aswell. However if you select "New Game" then only your character and what they are wearing and have in their inventory is saved, not the items on the ground.

In Multiplayer, no items on the ground are saved once the game is exited, as each game is a new one. But yes, you can leave items on the ground and then come back to them in the same game - they do not have a timer to make them disappear. Of course, beware people who take them ;)
"The axe? Aye, that's a good weapon, balanced against any foe. Look how it cleaves the air, and then, imagine a nice fat demon head in its path. Keep in mind, however, that it is slow to swing - but talk about dealing a heavy blow!"
Thanks Drac. That's all I needed to know
+LORIK+
. . . if you are playing Multiplayer.

If you drop an item on the ground and you lag out, for any reason (disconnect, kick the cord, lightning strike, etc.) then the item is gone also.

At one time my connection was so bad (or was it just Battlenet?) that I made a point never to drop something I wasn't willing to lose. If Multiplayer, I'd advise you the same.

Fills up your inventory fast, but can save a lot of heartache.

Of course you can always backup characters, both single and multiplayer; that works too. Some don't view that as being quite kosher, however -- depending upon the circumstances when you use it.

Attika