Media Stock Footage.
I'm really hoping that this is a doctored screenshot, because otherwise...blah...

http://frisky.bmj.net/foxnews.jpg

I understand that media tends to have stock footage of certain things like cityscapes, but if this really happened on that media web page, someone dropped a seriously large ball on their foot.

"Hey, New York just had a blackout! Find a good photo we can post along with the news that shows the city without lights!"

"Right on it, chief!"

...I don't blame them for using stock footage in this instance, but when they do...they can at least do it properly and not insult my intelligence or show a lack of theirs.

-Grim-
Kwansu, dudes! - A whole bunch of Patu San citizens.
no talent
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
And to think that my girlfriend thinks that Fox News is the best source for getting current event information. :o I'm going to have to try and turn her from the dark side. Personally, I'd almost trust the Daily Show more than some of the stuff that Fox News has thrown around. ;)
-TheDragoon
Any organization that thinks it has trademark on the English language gets a raised eyebrow from me.

I may dislike Al Franken's blowhardism, the flip side of a Rush Limbaugh coin, but Fox gave him all the free publicity he ever wanted with their silly lawsuit over a cutting witticism in his subtitle.

For that matter, if O'Reilly is spin free, so is the planet Earth.

There is something unattractive in pompousity . . .
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
There's no antenna tower visible on the towers, so the pic is pre-, um, pre-1985, I think. IIRC the previous big blackout in NYC was late 70's, so thereyago.

They shoulda said it in the caption, then it woulda been okay.

BTW, I'm very happy that there's a lot less looting this time (except Detroit of course). It almost makes me less cynical ... nah.
Of course they are ''Fair and balanced'' :P, a slogan which I hear them blurting out between every other report (usually given by some semi-attractive blonde in a business suit). I'm surprised nobody else (save Occhi) has brought this up yet, I find it quite funny.

Al Franken's humor can be entertaining, just for the cynicism associated with it, doesn't mean I have to agree with it. The title of the book, something about lies sounded funny, and if I recall correctly, it featured pictures of Bush and Cheney in the background. No shame, no shame :lol:.

-Wapptor
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
-- James Branch Cabell
TheDragoon,Aug 25 2003, 01:24 PM Wrote:Personally, I'd almost trust the Daily Show more than some of the stuff that Fox News has thrown around.  ;)
Um, you're saying that like the Daily Show ISN'T a great source of news. Actually, I find their coverage to be quite good (even if limited to just a couple of stories per day, four days a week, most weeks :)). It's definitely better produced. And the interviews tend to be quite interesting. They often have authors, political analysts, and actual politicians in addition to the normal celebrity interviews. And if you EVER get a chance to see Jon's interview with the Spice Girls, you MUST. It's what got me hooked on the show. :D

Bob
I like the Daily Show. However, as you say, it only covers a couple stories at a time as well as making up their own news and putting a spin on the news they do report. I'm not saying it's a bad show, I'm just saying it's bad to have it as your source for news coverage as you'll not get the full story of what is happening in the world. :)
-TheDragoon
Then let us leave it at the acknowledgement that The Daily Show is a more trustworthy and balanced source of news than Fox News.

Personally, I couldn't stay into it after Kilburn left the show. I remember the days when they didn't have an audience-- the laughs came from crew only. I was watching when the first perfect 5 out 5 (Bill Murray) as made, which coincidentally was the first airing when they changed the set and took on a studio audience.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.