Elric is going to blow his top...
WarLocke,Aug 24 2003, 01:30 AM Wrote:the combat is much more in-depth (don't necessarily want to say 'complicated') than the others.
I'll say it: it's more complicated than the others. Including complication for the sake of complication. Everybody has a zodiac sign, and depending on the attacker and defender signs they may do more or less damage. Why? AFAICT, to add complication.

I'm a fan of Final Fantasy, but Tactics leaves me cold.
Actually because of the way the combat engine in FFT works, the zodiac signs are one of the few ways damage is randomised. Generally, when two units of the same racial type, level, and attack power attack each other, they will do the same damage to each other, and the same damage every time. This is because the game has no defence stats at all. The only times damage varies are certain types of weapons and attacks (Cat kick, blunt weapons, women's bags, etc.) or when that a case of extreme Zodiac (in)compatability. So its purpose is basically to allow for some randomisation, but I think a defence stat or two would have just worked out better.

Which is what they did for Tactics Ogre, so sayeth The Hermit.

"This bog is thick and easy to get lost in." Tool - Swamp Song
Quote:Why? AFAICT, to add complication.

OK, I'll give you the zodiac system. I don't really see a reason for it anyway, either (other than the mentioned damage randomisation, I guess). I pretty much ignore it - I just used my birthdate (January 23) by default to make Ramza an Aquarius, and then made sure all the generics I recruited were at least compatible with him. Which has come back to kick me in the teeth a couple times, between "boss" battles and accidentally frying people with Bolt 3s and all.

FFT certainly has its downsides and rough edges, but taken as a whole I still think it's a great game.

Also, some random stuff:

- Teleport has to be the best Movement ability in the game. Right off the bat it gives you the benefits of Fly and Ignore Height (move through enemies/"ignore height"), and you can move farther than your movement allowance if you're willing to gamble. Moving three extra panels (equivalent to Move +3 on a flat featureless plane) has about a 70% success rate, which is pretty decent IMO.

- Thieves really are gods. I'm still using the Blood Sword I stole from Gafgarion at the Golgorand Execution Site battle (AFAIK, the only place in the game to get it) since it's so useful in fights where I can't/don't take a dedicated healer (it acts like a D1 Vampire blade). Then there's stealing armor/accessories before they can be bought (wizard staves, judo outfits, 108 gems...), not to mention if you're fighting someone who's equipment dependent (like Gafgarion or Wiegraf) you can basically neuter tham by stealing their weapons... Muahaha. ;)

- Math Skill is just sick. So totally sick. I have two spellcasters with the active skills learned, although only one really uses it since the other often has Talk Skill equipped for Brave/Faith upping. But the sheer damage wrought by a Fire 3 on 4 or 5 enemies, or dropping a Cure on all your guys plus the undead hordes, or Frogging 3+ Knights or Lancers... Oh man :ph34r:
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]