Non-raiding Disc Priest Chest
I have a Disc Priest that I will likely never raid with and yet would like to get the best gear I can for anyway. I figure the chest option comes down to a choice between two pieces.

Merlin's Robe: http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=67146
Royal Moonshroud Robe: http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=67144

Basically the only difference is that Merlin's has 90 haste while Royal has 90 spirit (ignoring the creation mat difference). Now I know that current opinion says that the haste is better. It sounds like when 4.0 hits spirit is going to be emphasized more for all casters though. So my question is: what is the likelihood that 90 spirit will be better than 90 haste in 4.0? Since this chest is likely to be end game for me until the next expansion, I figure I might as well at least try to plan ahead.

Now since I don't raid, it really doesn't matter. Either chest will be adequate. I still figure I should at least put some effort into making the right choice. So what do people think? Will there be a switch in which is best come 4.0 or will Merlin's remain better?
Quote:Now since I don't raid, it really doesn't matter. Either chest will be adequate. I still figure I should at least put some effort into making the right choice. So what do people think? Will there be a switch in which is best come 4.0 or will Merlin's remain better?

I would pick Merlin's for my Disc priest if I was making the choice.

As far as 4.0, I don't know.

--Mav
Merlin's. Spirit becomes a healer-only stat in Cataclysm, and by level 85 you'll have better.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Quote:Merlin's. Spirit becomes a healer-only stat in Cataclysm, and by level 85 you'll have better.
See, that is the thing. I know in Cataclysm that I'll get better. I also know that Merlin's is better right this moment. The big question for me is the time between the two. How far off are we from 4.0 when the Cataclysm changes go into place? How long will we be playing in that 4.0 environment before Cataclysm actually is released? Obviously these questions don't have answers since Blizzard only puts things out when they are ready instead of on a time table.

Since Disc is a heal spec it makes me think that the Royal robes are better for that period when 4.0 is live and yet Cataclysm isn't out. So I guess, thinking about it more, it becomes a question of which period is greater.

Now till 4.0: Merlin's is better
4.0 till Cataclysm: Royal is better
Cataclysm: Doesn't matter since they will be replaced quickly.

So thinking of it in that regard, it becomes an unknowable time question. I guess the correct choice for me at the moment is neither. Use the triumph badges to buy offspec dps gear and just settle for the tier chest healing item. It isn't as good as either of those items, but the increased dps option may be of more use than having one of those chest upgrades.
I'm confused - 4.0 != cataclysm? I thought they were one and the same
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Quote:I'm confused - 4.0 != cataclysm? I thought they were one and the same
Blizzard always releases a patch before an expansion that includes most of the over-arching itemization changes. This often happens several months before the expansion actually comes out. So all of the changes to gear/itemization will happen in that patch which will be 4.0. Then months later Cataclysm will come out and provide new content and such. This happened when Wrath was released as well, though I don't recall at the moment what all changes were in that patch. It is quite likely when paladins began using gear more in line with other tanks instead of spell power, though I can't swear that it was that patch that did it.
Quote:Blizzard always releases a patch before an expansion that includes most of the over-arching itemization changes. This often happens several months before the expansion actually comes out. So all of the changes to gear/itemization will happen in that patch which will be 4.0. Then months later Cataclysm will come out and provide new content and such. This happened when Wrath was released as well, though I don't recall at the moment what all changes were in that patch. It is quite likely when paladins began using gear more in line with other tanks instead of spell power, though I can't swear that it was that patch that did it.

YEs. 3.0 was the final push for paladins away from spellpower gear.

3.0 - Echoes of Doom was released on Oct 14, a month before WotLK was released.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Quote:YEs. 3.0 was the final push for paladins away from spellpower gear.
3.0 - Echoes of Doom was released on Oct 14, a month before WotLK was released.
A month eh? Well I think that means that Merlin's is better since there is likely more than a month till the patch hits and likely decent odds that they will aim for it being a month between it and Cataclysm. I think I was right though, that the best option is to get dps gear first then come back to it.
2.0 was released on Dec 5, with TBC on Jan 16. So around a month sounds likely.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
Quote:Now since I don't raid, it really doesn't matter. Either chest will be adequate. I still figure I should at least put some effort into making the right choice. So what do people think? Will there be a switch in which is best come 4.0 or will Merlin's remain better?
I have Merlin's on my warlock. My priest, since she's the tailor, would use it too -- if she could figure out some way to keep the PvP set bonus. I'd go with Merlin's. I have not found a use for Spirit on any of my characters. I was working on a high Spirit warrior once, but they reitemized her gear to take the Spirit off. Not fair.

Even if Blizzard released a change next month it would still be better to make Merlin's at the moment.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."