Extinct? ...maybe not
The Tazmanian tiger has been extinct since the last known specimen died in captivity in 1936.

But just how "extinct" is "extinct"? Remember the Coelacanth?

Here are some stories about some recent Tazmanian tiger buzz. Stories of his demise might have been greatly exaggerated.

'Extinct' tigers lurk in the suburbs

Return of the Aussie Tiger - or is it a hoax?

I want a Tazmanian tiger as a pet.

-DeeBye
I saw bigfoot once. He was playing cards with aliens. B)

It's possible that there are some left but very unlikely. Unlike the Coelacanth they can't live on the bottom of a dark ocean so if there was a viable population you would expect more sightnings.
That wasn't Bigfoot. That was the Nuclear Coyote, a thoroughly unambitious and misguided superhero who was born in the irradiated wastes of an Nevada atomic bomb testing range. Most beings who become gifted with super-powers seek out some high and noble purpose in life, to dedicate their efforts to the upholding of justice, liberty, and the American Way.

But what does the Nuclear Coyote do with his gifts? The dumb schmuck moves to Vegas, fails a turn as a lounge singer ("Let's face it, kid. Vegas just ain't ready for a six-foot tall tux-wearing dog who croons Sinatra all night...") and spends the remainder of his nights at the blackjack tables.

And, of course, he occaissionally makes it out to Area 51 for a poker game with the "gang".
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Hmm someone should tell those aliens that it's not bigfoot. That fraud! :D
Criptozoologists simply love to mention the Coelacanth too :)

( Right, even after the most recent sonar scan at Loch Ness revealing no trace of Nessie )

I am quite skeptical surrounding these Tazmanian Tiger rumours. I haven't seen a reasonable explanation of how a community of those predators could be able to survive for decades without being discovered.

Well... There are those who still look for the Megatherium at the amazon jungle...
Except in pure mathematics, nothing is known for certain (although much is certainly false).

Carl Sagan, "The Demon Haunted World"
I also saw Elvis riding Nessie in Lake Michigan the other day at the Air and Water Show.....
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
You guys haven't heard? Bigfoot died last year. *digs up a link*

Here ya go.
See you in Town,
-Z
Zarathustra,Aug 20 2003, 12:14 AM Wrote:You guys haven't heard?  Bigfoot died last year.  *digs up a link*

Here ya go.
The Bigfoot myth is somewhat fascinating.

Similar creatures ( Yeti, Big-Foot, Sasquatch ) are present in folk stories from the Himalaia up to the American West Coast.

The main hypothesis used by the criptozoologists is based on an extinct big primate, the Gigantopithecus blaki, which coexisted with the Homo Erectus at China. They are gone for around ~125,000 years.

Well, you can formulate all weird theories as you wish, but what really matters are the proofs and concrete evidence :)

I've heard about the "ape-like fur" or something found by a sherpa near Mt. Everest but later it was said to be hoax or misconception.
Except in pure mathematics, nothing is known for certain (although much is certainly false).

Carl Sagan, "The Demon Haunted World"