Final Fantasy : Origins
Being a dedicated Final Fantasy fan, I had to try this one. Well, I don't regret it!

For those who don't know, Final Fantasy : Origins is the remake of FF1 and FF2 (jap) for PlayStation. I don't know much about FF2j since I haven't played it yet (even on emulator), but since both games are on the same CD they are probably equally great. I plan to try FF2 as soon as I finish FF1.

FF1 is, by far, my favourite of the series. You can choose your own party, monsters hit hard, magic is not overpowered (in fact healing spells are underpowered, but that's what makes the game interesting). Now, with the new graphics, new music and lots of improvements, it's even greater! You now have an in-game bestiary, with stats of monsters you've already fought. You can even turn off the auto-targeting feature (if you target a monster that is dead when you attack, it won't attack another, but instead the attack is lost, like on the NES version).

If you like the series, buy this one, you won't be disappointed!
[Image: lukesnewlightsaber.jpg]

An elegant weapon for a more civilized time. For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times, before the Empire.
Hail Jedi Knight,

I've not got a PSX, so I've not played this Origins, but I've played FFII - long, long ago. It's easily the worst in the series: if you expect it to be anything like the original, you'll be bitterly disappointed. Hopefully they have fixed up some of the more anoying parts of it, especially the econnomy: you need to spend a few days gathering cash just to buy equipment when you reach a new town, because everything costs thousands, and each battle nets you cash in the units. It had some OK ideas, but was poorly handled in the end. They should have also added FFIII to that, as it's a pretty decent game.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
I once beat FF1 with four White Wizards. Not sure, but I don't think I have played it since.

Stopped playing FF when it left the Super Nintendo. The PS versions lost much. The original was probably the best in the series if only because it was so groundbreaking.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Hello Elric,

I must admit you're right with FF2 - it's absolute crap :( Hard to believe, it's graphically worse than FF1 (and both are on the same CD!). Still, I'm very pleased with the new, revamped FF1. You can see what it looks like right here.

(Edit)
I once beat FF1 with four White Wizards. Not sure, but I don't think I have played it since.

You have lots of patience! I wouldn't try it! :P

An elegant weapon for a more civilized time. For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times, before the Empire.
Patient? Mayhap.

Truth is, once you hit a certain point with 4 White Wizards, nothing, and I mean NOTHING can kill you. It is impossible to die. But it is slow going. However, for the final battle, 4 White Wizards are the best. I can't remember what I did or why it rocked, but there is something that the White Wizards can do to the final boss that nobody else can, causing it to be over in seconds. Gosh it's been years. I honestly don't remember.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
You probably had all four wizards cast Fade. That would nail Chaos in one round I think.
Truth is, once you hit a certain point with 4 White Wizards, nothing, and I mean NOTHING can kill you. It is impossible to die. But it is slow going.

Maybe. I'll do it, someday ;)

However, for the final battle, 4 White Wizards are the best. I can't remember what I did or why it rocked, but there is something that the White Wizards can do to the final boss that nobody else can, causing it to be over in seconds. Gosh it's been years. I honestly don't remember.

With Fade, it does lots of damage. 2 rounds and he's dead (unless he casts Cure4 but I think he doesn't until round 4 or 5).

I usually have a Red Mage and a Thief in my parties - they're not that powerful (although a Red Mage with a Silver Sword at level 6 is quite strong), but adds versatility - RM becomes my healer later on by using Heal Staff almost all the time, while a Ninja runs easily from battles and can cast Fast. I rarely use white or black mages because RM in the early game can replace both, and later on the items you get (Mage Staff, White Shirt, Zeus Gauntlet, name it) can be used by anybody and are quite useful.

Heh....I remember getting to the final Dungeon in that game on the NES....It was the winter of 94' and we were experiencing a lot of random power outtages for the standard ice storms/trees down etc....well, dont you know the power went out...to make a long story short, it erased my game totally. I vowed to never touch a FF game again. I broke my promise earlier this summer when I logged over 130 hours onto FF Tactics ..... Needless to say FFT is awesome....I reccommend to anyone who loves strategy (And It dont cost more than $14)

J
*NERDmanWhippy on Us East
I think it was fade.

All I know is, Mr Nastypants never made it to round 2, he died in the very first round of attacks.

You know... I feel the itch to fire up my NES emu. Bad bad me.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."