Necromancer+Barbarian combo
Ì and a friend is speculating over powerfull builds that can work together and supplement each other, and to get away from commonly used cheese skills.

So it was that i came up with a seemingly powerfull combo.

Necromancer casting blind curse, and beserker barbie.
With blind shutting down almost all enemies, the barb doesnt have to worry about being hit, and doesnt have to spend points in warcry. And can instead focus on getting his beserk up to sickening proportions, mastery, beserk and the 2 beserk synergies.

Additionally im thinking the necromancer could use CE as a support skill, blowing up the corpses the barbarian is providing, and inflicting decent damage on things around. Especially if it has a good radius. And since you are using blind, you cant generally use another curse, like lower resists, or amp, since it wont help a beserker barbie. One reason for getting to pick other skills than the uberly common ones with too wide applications that is very hard to get around.

But it leaves a single hole, how to assist the beserker against super uniques and or bosses which blind doesnt shut down? I had speculated on lifetap, but sadly found that the same rules for leech works here too, ie you can ONLY leech with physical damage.

Though you can repeat the performance with the assasin cloak of shadows, i and my friend find the darkness to be fatally annoying, and its hard to see which monsters that already is affected.
Decrip seems like a good one.
That and, in theory, Iron Maiden are the only curses that would aid a Berserker fighting a boss monster. If Lower Resist still affected magic damage, it would be viable as well, but the way things are it has to be either Decrepify or Iron Maiden.

CE, the way it is right now, would probably steal the zerker's show though. :P
And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
____________.Not shaking the grass.
-- Ezra Pound, "And the days are not full enough"
Well, the necro have to invest in some kind of damaging skill so he isnt a cursebitch. And CE seems like the perfect choice for crowd clearing.
it would be powerful since CE can clear rooms all by itself. the only assistance the barb would offer is getting that first corpse which is the hardest part!

As for super uniques/bosses, just use decript and a clay golemn, the slow effects together will make the bosses punching bags.
Well, i think you'd be better off using Decrep or Amp --- the barb would roll through the enemy with any of the physical attacks, then as soon as a corpse appears, zammo.

Lifetap would provide 50% life by attack, this (afaik) circumvents the leech penalties since it technically is not a leech, so if you kept a good eye on the barb u could mix curses.

Perhaps a strong poison nova would supplement the barb, and take care of monster heal.

----

If you really want a strong pair, paladins are pretty powerful... stacking auras, one guy could use vengence and the other zeal, which would cover all possible monsters... maybe fanat/conviction... the more pallys, the more powerful the party.

Or, a conviction pally (or lower res. necro, although conviction is stronger) with any elemental damage dealer.

Good luck
Quillan
ps then u can fight over the drops :)
The intention behind blind were that the barb didnt had to worry about being swarmed and pecked to death because of no armor when beserking.
You want the absolute hardest hitting single target skill? Berserk isn't it.

Trya a paladin with vengeance + synergies. In addition for bosses which dim vision doesn't work on you can increase his damage output significantly with lower resist.
LucianDK,Aug 11 2003, 12:48 AM Wrote:The intention behind blind were that the barb didnt had to worry about being swarmed and pecked to death because of no armor when beserking.
Well, while that is fine and good, beserk is a poor main skill, and in your plan the necro would do nothing. Also, the barb would deal damage to just one creature with no offensive benefit from his 'teammate'

The suggestions i made (and the fellow pushing an avenger build team) will kill faster and stop monsters from being a threat at the same time.

I don't see the point of adding a 2nd char who does so little... why not find a way to make them work together and kill together effectively. Untweaked you could have 3 auras running with only 1 pally
might/defiance/freeze (don't use freeze if you keep a necro for CE)
fanat/conviction
or with 2 pallys add concentrate or whatever.

If you like necros, and i know i do, he can decrep or amp till the pally gets you a corpse, then CE them all. (CE's 50% fire would do even more with conviction, which the pally can change to as soon as a corpse falls)
I think that more synergistic duos are out there than beserk barb and dim necro, but give it a go and let us know how it works.

Quillan
I'd ditch the necro in favour of a trapsin... CoS works well enough, and you can use MB to pin champs for the barb to finish. You still have a semi-CE in DS. The advantage is you can be something like a DT/BF assassin and do some corpse making yourself.

To be honest though I don't think CoS/Blind is an optimal curse for dealing with things other than ranged attackers 1) it leaves attackers spread out which is bad for CE/DS, 2) IF you wait for them to mob the barb first, then you are not only higher risk, but it is likely that a number of blinded monsters will end up in attack range anyway.

(P.S. my bias towards mind blast is due to my HC tendancies, and my addiction to thorns mercs, confuse and attract don't help there (or with a might merc))