Negative Resistances on Monsters
I'm not a big fan of immunities, but I do like resistances. If they are varied, and thoughtful, that is.

I was simply wondering if anyone had ever suggested to Blizzard to have negative resistances for some monsters.

For example, I think, since they get that awful chill bonus, the Frozen Abyss type monsters should have a perhaps -10 (to 50? lol)% resistance to fire. And perhaps all undead should get a bit of resistance to poison, what with them not having to live anymore with internal organ systems (I'm not sure if this idea has already been implemented) but be a bit more susceptible to fire. I doubt zombies or skeletons would need to worry about eating some bad shellfish and getting poisoned but they definitely would need to avoid getting burned by the stove.

A bit o' logic... of course, I get annoyed when I see Stygian Harlot's gain immunity to fire and Stygian Furies gain immunity to physical. What kind of arbitrary reasoning is that? besides, I'd think a Harlot would be a little less physical-attack fearing and a Fury a little more fiery, and less fearing of it. Lol. Yeah... impeccable logic, Havian. Aaaaanyway, you guys needn't respond, I just wanted to vomit that little pearl of thought on the forum before it escaped me.

I also think ravens that the Druid summons should have a chance to blind enemies. I mean, come on. If a Sorc gets charged bolt, a Necro gets amp, etc. at level 1, can't Druids have a lil sumthin'sumthin' get passed their way for a little Skill Level 1 endgame fun?

By the same token of championing underused skills, I think Pallies should get 1% absorb per skill level of the Resist [Element] Skills they get. For instance, a slvl 20 Resist Lightning would grant 20% Lightning absorb. I think we can grant Pallies that much... considering... ahem. I love 'em, I do.

Jeebus, they're only worth a chance for blocklock in PvP. Pshh. And 0 damage thanks to regen rates in hell when maxxed. Woot. They can't benefit from your auras either. Woot2.

Ok, if anyone can think of more little goodies to add to otherwise useless skills, I'd love to hear it.

Good night.

Looking back at my post it looks like an ebullient child's christmas wish list. Well, since the patch seems to be coming out around that time, ya know, Christmas 2005. :angry:

*edit* Resist Lightning would have Lightning absorb, not Cold absorb. Yep. Logic. Yes. I accidentally put Light-Cold.
Haviandhae'el,Aug 9 2003, 03:2 Wrote:I was simply wondering if anyone had ever suggested to Blizzard to have negative resistances for some monsters.
What, like vulnerabilities already in the game? :huh:

Quote:Looking back at my post it looks like an ebullient child's christmas wish list.

No, it's considerably less palatable than that I'm afraid.

Quote:*edit* Resist Lightning would have Lightning absorb, not Cold absorb.  Yep.  Logic.  Yes.

Logic? Putting absorption into Resistance auras is not very logical at all.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
The resistance auras are utterly useless if you think about what Salvation grants you, in the end. There is absolutely no incentive to use them. For the sake of variety I would think Blizzard would want to do anything they can to enhance a skill. When was the last time you've used a Resist [Element] skill over Salvation?

Er, saying vulnerabilities makes it seem like you're making them unnecessarily weak. By giving them strong resistances to others, for instance, with 15 physical, -15 fire, 130 cold, 50 light, 25 poison, and that small susceptibility to the certain element, I would say it's like a small reward to the people who had the forethought to plan for 2 strong types of attack and then a lesser third skill which happens to coincide with the weakness of the monster. I see nothing wrong with giving something an Achilles' Heel.

Sorry it wasn't palatable; it was something written on a whim before dinner. ... At least I recognized its haphazard manner. :unsure: Anyway, to everyone who reads this after warblade, I write very poorly when hungry, so I apologize.
Haviandhae'el,Aug 9 2003, 04:1 Wrote:The resistance auras are utterly useless if you think about what Salvation grants you, in the end.
No, they're utterly useless if you think about what equipment can give you.

Quote:There is absolutely no incentive to use them.  For the sake of variety I would think Blizzard would want to do anything they can to enhance  a skill.  When was the last time you've used a Resist [Element] skill over Salvation?

Or Salvation at all. I think I remember turning on Salvation a couple of times, in order to have a pretty rainbow at the feet of a variant in town. And that's about it really.

Quote:Er, saying vulnerabilities makes it seem like you're making them unnecessarily weak.

No, it makes it seem like one of us is aware that Andariel is vulnerable to Fire (with a negative resistance in effect) and the other isn't.
"No, they're utterly useless if you think about what equipment can give you."
-Even though Pallies get inherent bonuses of resistance in some shields, it's not easy for everyone to get 175% resistance to every resistance. Most people make compromises with their resistances, and then fill in the gaps with something if it is availabe, in this instance, Salvation. In other instances, with Natural Resists or Fade.

"Or Salvation at all. I think I remember turning on Salvation a couple of times, in order to have a pretty rainbow at the feet of a variant in town. And that's about it really."
-I'm glad you've enjoyed the aesthetic values of the aura, but, like I said, some people really do use the auras.

"No, it makes it seem like one of us is aware that Andariel is vulnerable to Fire (with a negative resistance in effect) and the other isn't."
-First, that's one monster, and my example of the Frozen Abyss type monster would be indicative of me talking generically. You didn't realize that, I assume.
Second, I do know what Andariel is vulnerable to fire (though I believe it is only on certain difficulties; nightmare and hell, though I think I am mistaken. Perhaps only one).
Third, I don't see any reason for you to be so exceedingly hostile. You may find it entertaining to haughtily criticize other people's sincere thoughts, but other people will find it uncouth and simply immature.
You may have developed some kind of personal distaste for me with my hastily written first post, but I don't see why snide remarks have to come into play when I honestly apologized after you mentioned it.
That's enough, you two. Take it elsewhere if you want to fight. We don't want to watch.
--Mav
Why can't the two of you get this through your heads.....don't get personal with each other on the forum, and don't get nasty with me when I tell you to cut it out.

--Mav
And no, you don't have to have the last word, either. See above. It's over. Done. If you want to snipe at each other, don't do it here.

--Mav
Don't get me started on useless skills! This is one of my main gripes about the patch thus far, that Blizzard seems to think that adding synergies = skills are fixed. Um, no. Teeth = still as useless as ever. Poison Vine = wasn't touched a bit, hence still in the top 5 of worst skills in the game. And, ahh, my favorite, Ravens. Without question the WORST SKILL IN THE GAME. No synergies, no bonuses, they don't even get the passive bonuses the other summoned animals get. And they are SO easy to fix. Give me more ravens (5 is nothing and hardly take up memory) so I can have a flock of death, or give them something simple like Open Wounds or Hit Blinds Target, you know, to simulate a helpless monster being attacked by a blur of beak and claws. Same for Teeth, give it Open Wounds or life leech, and it goes from being worthless to being a decent utility skill. But NOOOOOO

I mean, even Firebolt and Ice Bolt can be useable now :(
I think the problem with negative resistances is that, qualitatively, it's no different from the way things are now (certain monsters rae more vulnerable to certain attacks).

As for resist auras, they are useful as synergies for vengeance. Since I have to pump them anyway, I do get some some situational use out of them. Personally I think that increasing maximum resistance is better than adding absorb though. Each resistance aura should add maybe 20% max resist when maxed, and salvation should add 10% to all max resists.

All in all, though, I'm pretty happy with the way the Paladin is now, there are only a few skills that need tweaking.
Hullo Haviandhae'el.

I'm glad to see people read the same books as me! Why did you pick that character? I've always thought Ahvae'el was more sinister.

Anyway, I think that maximum resists -would- be a safer bet. I think absorb is a little unbalancing. However I do see where you're going with the resists auras, and I also agree about their vengeance synergy taking care of that.

I agree about the Druid's ravens, however, I would rather that their damage be increased so that, over time, they could do a significant amount of damage with Grizzly's passive bonus. True, they aren't affected by auras, but that's because they're given that bonus of being unattackable and untargettable. That may fall under your "blessing/curse category" from the other post.

I too, have played a Ninja extensively, and would like to know about some of your gear choices.

Send me a PM so we can talk about the Ninja and books. Hehe. I'm also new to this forum (you joined only a few ahead of me) so I can't guarantee I will answer as quickly as I intend, not really knowing the inbox well. :rolleyes:

*edit* last 2 sentences

Buena suerte.
In war, intelligence is the single greatest commodity.
Hullo Wrathraven.

Good ideas; I like your Open Wounds aspect to the Ravens. I agree with Haviandhae'el that the Blinding would be especially nice. Teeth leeching life is an interesting proposition as well.

Buena Suerte.
The main problem with monsters having weaknesses is that elemental damage is way too common.

On resist fire, lighting, and cold, I think they should just increase max resists, and have much greater resists than salvation would provide. And having excess resist isn't useless. Conviction enchanced monsters are bad ;)

That, or just take those three auras out of the game. -_-
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
While we're on the subject of teeth, I think it would be best to be connected with a synergy that lowers mana cost. At a higher level it would be at 0, which would give you something to do when you empty your mana ball. Mana burn *cough*

And more damage plus open wounds couldn't hurt.
What "Nasty?" :huh:

All I did was question your assertion that I was, as you put it, "fighting".
Pffft. Go on. Edit this post too.

After all it's about as nasty as the one you just edited. <_<
Hey Ahvae!

Yes, glad to see someone reads them as well. They're very intricate masterpieces.

Anyway, the messaging system isn't too hard to figure out. I would love to talk about chars sometime.

Um, I picked Havian because he has a really academic outlook, and his witticisms are great. He'd be a person in real life that would be a gem.

Thanks for agreeing and um, politely disagreeing. I also think that absorb is a little unbalancing, so really the idea of increased max resists is more fair.

Archon- I agree that having excess resists is not only good but much more prudent than leaving it in the 75 range, because conviction bosses with enchantments are rather nasty.

Mav- I didn't intend to have a last word, so thanks for deleting them both. I don't come to forums to have people jab at me so it's unfair of me to snap back and perpetuate forum clutter. Sorry.

Wrathraven- Yes! Icebolt is not only viable but pretty handy. Firebolt, well, I suppose could be interesting 8) and it's certainly not the challange Sirian took up so long ago. I regret that Ravens are so useless PvM, and I really do think they should Blind, and, as you said, Open Wounds. That would be great. Their aerial view and sinking claws/beaks could do considerable damage to an oponent's face, and I don't know why they do such pitiful damage. They should get critical hits, too, what with them hovering around critical areas.

Now that I think about it, Werewolf is an uber level 1 skill, and magic arrow is definitely nice too. I wish all level 1 skills had some place in a potential build as a main or at least supporting skill, not an afterthought, like Ravens, or something you use a few times in your late career to kill some a1 fallen while your friend is muling (teeth).
Haviandhae'el,Aug 9 2003, 08:1 Wrote:Wrathraven- Yes!&nbsp; Icebolt is not only viable but pretty handy.&nbsp; Firebolt, well, I suppose could be interesting 8) and it's certainly not the challange Sirian took up so long ago.
well, with my lvl 77 Sorc, with maxed Firebolt/Fireball, around 10 in Fire Mastery and +8-10 Fire skills, Firebolt did something like 1200-1300 damage, for 2.5 mana. So while it's not the powerhouse Fireball is (my FB was doing triple that), it's VERY mana-efficient, even moreso with maxed Mastery and Meteor, if you wanted an all-powerful Fire tab.

when you compare that to Teeth, or Ravens, well...... :(
I don't think it was that individual post that sparked the editing, but judging by the previous posts the thread wasn't really headed in the right decison. It's ok to add sacrastic comments, but you were being quite critical of his post. From the way I read it, it seemed rather hostile. So, just drop it. Maybe it wasn't your intent, but that's just the way it was perceived.
Hullo all.

I agree with Archon entirely.

Warblade, I also suggest that you not take that tone with Mav; it seems like that same caustic tongue made problems for Havian and then Mav, so I hope it doesn't escalate past that, as it seemed to be doing.

Havian, don't post something when hungry, lol. You might regret the effects later.

Buena Suerte.
Gah. Is my sig fixed?

---(Edit: Oh good, now it is. I'm hopeless with this stuff. :rolleyes: )