Ruminations on v1.10
(By the way, I've read the etiquette but this is still my first post ever; forgive me if I violate something!)

:ph34r: <--- My ninja is a more or less happy with the patch. There are a few things I'd like to address though. I've played DII avidly since it was first released, complete with anticipatory necromancer skill/stat placement guides... yeah, nerd.

Anyway, v1.10 seems to be a miscellany of blessings and curses to the dedicated and casual player.

1) Blessing: Dedicated players and casual players alike get to see some nicer equipment tossed their way without having to do ridiculous things like warp into the Durance of Hate a bajillionzillion times with tasteless collections of items that all seem to have gaudy topazes stuck in them.

Curse: By the time you get to hell, which, I understand is someone's choice to go above and beyond with their character, and not a necessity, jaw-dropping items are pretty much required. As I understand it, Blizzard wanted to make under-used skills viable or at least considerable, and different equipment setups not only a reality but a necessity.

They did a good job with the potential for Grandmasters and Cruel prefixes on rare weapons, but what about spell casters? As I see it, sorcs and necros won't be clamoring for any rares. Occy and Shakos will still be disgusting prevalent. Not much variety there.

Also, due to the RIDICULOUS regeneration rates I've observed in Hell and even late Nightmare, methods of preventing monster healing, such as Open Wounds, of Vileness suffix items, and massive poison (with high duration, please. Venom's short duration is a definite curse in hell, sometimes) are requisite.

Variety? Cough. I suspect not.

2) Blessing: Monster hp is definitely... hellish, in Hell. That makes for good fights- interesting, tough fights, as opposed to the one-whirl/few-multi/one-fury facade it used to be.

Curse: I played with 6 other people in A4 Hell, and we were all pretty psyched because it had been pretty tough before that. Each act, as we all know, takes an eternity to complete now. It's a good accomplishment, yes, but solo, we must concede that the game is tedious and frustrating. So, with the party geared up, thawing/antidote potions in hand, and with 500K each simply for ressing the new useless mercs (see my point 3), we set out into the Outer Steppes.

My sorceress friend, who had 71% light res (which is terribly good for a legit player, and we were all legit, without a resistance spell/skill), died instantly from an MSLE monster and her thunderstorm.

So, great, Blizzard, you still have those one-hit kill inescapable idiot monsters that none but the Thunder God's Vigor adorned lvl 34 BO Barbs can take. Yeah, I'm glad that equip diversity is being promoted here.

Everyone was appalled, so Sorcy exited to town after giving the stats of the monster. Okay, everyone thought, it's Poison Immune, MSLE, and has 5 minions. They're all granted insane hp boosts. Okay.

Pally friends equip salvation and resist lightning, which we all cheer, and we go down again. I use Blade Fury to knock him down a bit and hopefully halt regen, but, oh wait, my Venom does jack against him, and even if it could do something, it would last for, hmm, approximately .4 seconds. That means I would have to stand there flinging blades out of my arse like I was trying to make a salad out of the stupid Megademon, fulfilling ONLY the requirement of stopping is mad regen, not to mention turning him into a walking nuclear powerplant during meltdown.

Okay. Yeah.

So I actually do that, hoping my Rattlecage (courtesy of hell Andy) will knock a few crushing blows into him. Well, we all know the effectiveness of that on champs/uniques. However, with resist light and salvation and fade equipped, my hp was dipping at moderate rates.

COME OUT, YOU FOOLS! I was glaring at the stupid Pandemonium Fortress steps and the milling crowd of 2 pallies, 1 sorc, 1 zon, 1 barb, and 1 druid apprehensively sticking out a single bootied toe into the danger zone as if afraid the MSLE bolts would leap a few yards to them for even peeking out.

Eventually, they all did, and between static, my blades, and 6 kamikaze rushers, the MSLE and crew went out in about 6 minutes. Exhilerating? Uh, yeah, it was fun. However, I'm not so sure that encouraging part play involved giving monsters 5K hp that scales up with each player, thereby kind of defeating the purpose of asking people to join you. Oh well.

Thoroughly spent and proud of the accomplishment, we went into a tightly-knit formation with three ranged chars, me/sorc/zon and the 2 pallies right behind the barb in a lovely spearhead formation, skirting the edges of the Steppes to find the entrance to the Plains.

In no time at all (somewhere in Plains or Steppes, which I can't recall), we encounter 3 very jolly, very impossible bosses spawned basically in the same tile, from the looks of it.

1) Star Eye
Extra Fast, Extra strong, Stone Skin, Immune to Physical, Immune to Poison

2) Wraith Star the Unholy (or something) [Archer type]
Extra strong, Multiple shots, Lightning Enchanted, Immune to Lightning, Immune to Poison

3) Some name I forgot [Archer Type]
Cold enchanted, Cursed, Extra fast, Immune to Cold, Immune to Poison

All of us promptly wet our pants, one pally charging and one zealing away like he was trying swat a fly on Boss 1's forehead with a broadsword. After 8 minutes of retreating and flinging ninja stars, staticing, magic arrows, charges, frenzied whirlings, synergized meteors, and about 30 or so well-placed shadow masters, we found ourselves once again cowering in the Pandemonium fortress steps with 3 fully regenerated bosses and a few minions.

F. U. C. K. (Sorry is that an etiquitte violation?)

I realized the dilemma ensued thusly: Boss 1 (remember the PI) was the vanguard, beating at the pallies and barb until they were weeping for us to destroy it. The multishot monster was basically a zon with an Arcing Hydra Bow and 7 points in Multishot, or something to that extent and effect, and at the same time, a sorceress that would cast hmm, a level 33/33 mastery Nova every time you hit her. The boss with cold/ranged damage would curse us not only with amplified damage but a nasty chilling effect that our thawing potions simply couldn't counter fast enough. Since none of us was graced with a ravenfrost or death's set, or ANYTHING to counter the cold, we were crawling around sluggishly, trying to combat the extra fast ravagings of the ranged and melee attacker. Oh, and they were all immune to poison, so my Venom had less effect on them than throwing roses at them.

We called it a night. Or morning, rather.

Um, after my extended ramblings and outburst, and unprecedented deviation from my original topic :unsure: , v1.10 is both very engaging and frustrating, simultaneously. Again, though I recognize Hell is an optional challenge, not an obstacle in the game, I'm not sure whether Hardcore play, or even legit play, is too fun, especially for variants who apparently have as much chance to succeed playing hell as they do finding a windforce and grandfather in the same drop.

So where does that leave us? With emerging breeds of upcoming uber chars that are the only ones to really succeed in hell? I hope not. The prospects, however, are grim.

Thanks to anyone who read this (I mean, put up with it, lol). I tried to convey my thoughts on the patch in an organized fashion, but, being more spontaneous than organized, settled for an anecdote.
Um, MSLEB was fixed :D

but yea, the main gripe I have with 1.10 is the zillions of boss/minion packs. They need to either cut back their appearance rate, or seriously limit the number of minions that spawn with the boss to a MAXIMUM or 3 or 4.
Ha! Unless my pot is pulling one of those short-term memory fixes on me, the bolts clearly looked like those nasty sperm-like patches of white. Oh well. Oh, but I definitely know the arrows were multi, I couldn't forget that.

Was it taken out or fixed with LE only? Thanks

*edit* extra word, question
I'm pretty sure the bolts are just normal, there aren't any of those super-bolts of death, that's for sure. I've killed Bremm enough times in 1.10 to know that! But lightning damage with Gloams, Meph, etc. is wacky so I wouldn't be shocked if LEBs were messed up somehow too.
If the regeneration on bosses was taken away, like it is in 1.09, these packs would be a lot easier and fun. It might take you a while, but you can wear the bosses down and eventually kill them (which is challenging); with regeneration, especially the insane rates as they stand now, you face a real possibility of not being able to kill them at all (which is simply frustrating, much like the teleport enchanted bosses a few patches back).
Dear god, don't get me started on those. Particularly nasty are those coldghtning enchanted archer bosses. Jeebus! Anyway, perhaps I just don't remember it right, as I was simply expecting it to be the spermbolts and my mind convinced me that they were.

I'm glad about that.

However, are MSLEs a fair trade for 3 uber-bosses equivalent to the Hell Council spawning in the Outer Steppes? Ugh. I really can't say, especially from the Hardcore standpoint. One hit kills are bad, but those bosses are nasty and a half, compared to MSLEs.
That's exactly what I want Blizzard to do. Leave the monster HPs, attack rates, etc intact in 1.10, but reduce the regeneration rates to a fraction of what they're at right now, or no regen at all.

Alternately, give certain normal monsters high regen rates, just for interest and variety sake, but don't let unques spawn with the same rates.
[Image: ignatzsig.gif]
Quote:F. U. C. K. (Sorry is that an etiquitte violation?)

I would say yes.
I understand your frustration and have used many colorful metaphors, sometimes quite loudly, when playing. In the forum the popular "@#$%" or just a simple "thank you very much Blizzard" would suffice.

Your post was an entertaining read and I have run into similar situations myself.

I don't view hell as an optional challenge. I view solo hell /players >1 as an optional challenge. For me hell is the test for my characters where everything has to come together, playing style, build, equipment, teamwork (if not solo), and patience. Some of the cheese Blizzard has in the game really tests that last one.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Jahcs, let me say @#$% blizzard. hehe. Well, not really. I understand how they are pressed for time, you know, what with the patch taking a 1/16th of my life to come out.

I say hell is an optional challenge in v1.10 because it is now so incomprehensibly hellish that I hope no one expects the true variant to really survive solo there.

Has anyone tried a melee sorceress in v1.10? Sure, in 1.09, given a little bit of luck and patience, you could certainly pull it off. Not so now. Not so for many, many variants (in respect to v1.10, not 1.09, as a blade fury assassin would be considered a variant then and not now).

I also always play hell, as I also believe it to be the culmination of your effort, but now that you can barely get past level 75 or so legitimately, and without ridiculous time investment, coupled with the fact that you can reach level 75 easily (well, in comparison) in nightmare, I believe Hell mode has become less of a signpost on the linear progression of your character, and more of a ladder for the truly dedicated to struggle up, against currents of stone skinned monsters and 7K hp dual immune monsters ;) .

*edit* why can't my winking smiley show up??? sob...
I agree completely on the regeneration issue--it's demoralizing to fight a unique pack for minutes only to (very visibly) watch their bar regenerate when you run out of manafe/duration skills/need repairs... :lol:

However, I'm against cutting regeneration back just yet. I suspect that the regeneration is something that we can only realistically gauge when a release candidate for 1.10 hits bnet. I think it's Blizzard's idea for stopping large parties from completely steam-rolling areas. Of course, this is bad news for single player, but I think that focusing on bnet play has been a more primary goal for a long time.

Also, good stuff Havi. Amusing :)
-jms
*hemal2@USEast
Thank you jms. I like your avatar, btw.

Hmm, about the regeneration, I think that single player should definitely be considered. I love bnet. ... Let me rephrase that; I love multiplayer. However, for the people that simply can't participate in it, I think it is Blizzard's duty to allow the under-privileged to fully enjoy the game instead of shriek like a banshee at their monitor for finding another Horadrim Ancient in A5 that is UTTERLY IMPOSSIBLE to kill.

Cough. (Disclaimer: I am not one of those that shrieks like a banshee at the monitor for the Horadrim Ancients. I do t hat only for the Moon Lord classes.)

Anyway, I don't see the problem with a well-organized, large team of say 6-8 to do rather well in Hell instead of fight pitched family fueds with a pack of 5 monsters every few feet of the game. I mean, if people put the forethought to max Might, Concentration, Fanatacism, and Heart of Wolverine in their party, I think they deserve to see a nice, albeit not phat uberlicious roxor 1337, pay off. Not run into two or eighty packs of stone skinned mother-fudgers and frustrated enough to take a nap and have some tea.

At least that's what I think. Feel free to respond. Forums are fun, I should have joined this long ago!