How to extract skills.txt?
Could anyone tell me how to extract the skills.txt from the diablo2 files? I am interested in studying it closer.
You're going to need an MPQ viewer along with a D2 archive file. (Rest of the post edited out because I can't host the file any longer)
And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
____________.Not shaking the grass.
-- Ezra Pound, "And the days are not full enough"
You may want to check out The Phrozen Keep for all kinds of utilities and aids for dealing with the mpq's. The beginner's kit is quite nice.

If all you want to do is read the txt files, once you break them out from the mpq (and you'll want to use the ones from d2_patch mpq), you can just load them into the spreadsheet or database of your choice. They're tab delimited.
"Yog-Sothoth is the key to the gate, whereby the spheres meet. Man rules now where They ruled once, but after summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again."
- Abdul Alhazred

Warcraft characters
Stormrage:
- Naphta, 70 Warlock, 350 goblin engineer
- Xinth, 60 Warrior
Terenas
- Nezeramontias, 33 priest
- Boulderan, 13 shaman
or you could use the one already extracted on the Phrozen Keep here

--T
hakai_no_tenshi,Aug 5 2003, 03:11 AM Wrote:or you could use the one already extracted on the Phrozen Keep here

--T
I have not noticed any changes in the .txt files for the beta2 yet, but there may be some. Doing a new extraction may be more valuable than possibly referencing a data table that has some changes in it from the beta1 patch.
There have been numerous changes to text files. I reported some in the AB tech forum.

In skills.txt, the lines for Strafe, Bone Wall, Iron Golem, Sacrifice, Holy Bolt, Holy Fire, Charge, Vengeance, Holy Shield, Holy Freeze and Conviction have changes. I haven't looked at the details yet.

I've temporarily uploaded the output of my diff to http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~deykea/temp/d...differences.txt . This doesn't make it easy to see what the changes are, but it does show where they are.
So we can use the 1.10 file list with the MPQ viewer to extract the txt files then view them in D2Xcel?
The previous 1.10 file list does work, mostly. I was, after all, able to extract the text files I needed. However, there seem to be some new unknowns in the 1.10s MPQ. An updated file list would apparently be needed for full compatibility. I don't know if the new one has been made yet, though.
Yes. Extract the files from d2_patch.mpq.
"Yog-Sothoth is the key to the gate, whereby the spheres meet. Man rules now where They ruled once, but after summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again."
- Abdul Alhazred

Warcraft characters
Stormrage:
- Naphta, 70 Warlock, 350 goblin engineer
- Xinth, 60 Warrior
Terenas
- Nezeramontias, 33 priest
- Boulderan, 13 shaman