a few questions regarding bows
Just wondering about the class-specific items and auto-mods (and amazon bows).

Isn't it amazon bows can get auto-mods of +1, +2 or +3 to bow skills. So a white stag bow requires only L14 but it can automatically generate so that it has either +1, +2 or +3 to bow skills and still require only L14 to use?

However, I think I've seen white (non-magical) stag bows with +1 or +2 bow skills and require L14. But once it has +3 to bow skills, it'll require L45 to use. Is this true for all amazon bows (ie. a +3 bow skill auto-mod cause the level requirement to jump up to L45 or higher if the bow itself requires >L45)?

I'm curious since I've seen a rondache (paladin shield) with +40% resist all as auto-mod and it only requires L6 (I think that's the lvl req of rondache) to use.

~~~~~

I extracted the weapons.txt from v1.09 MPQ and studied the table in Excel. I noticed that Grand Matron Bows is listed as having max 6 sockets in that file. But again, I noted from some posts here that there's some bug so that Grand Matron Bows can only have max 5 sockets -- is this true? What other information (specifically # of gem sockets) in the weapons.txt from the MPQ isn't correct?

(while studing the bows in the weapons.txt, I notice this bit of trivia which is easy to remember:
all bows (including amazon bows) that have base weapon speed = 5, can have max sockets = 3.
bows with base wpn spd = -10, max sockets = 4 (only exception is matriarchal bow with 5 max)
bows with base wpn spd = 0, max sockets = 5
bows with base wpn spd = 10, max sockets = 6 (again, exception is: the "bug" of grand matron bow with 5 max?)

~~~~~

another thing, I read from a link here to the Amazon Basin that they can cube bows (trying to get "cruel" bows) -- and the post was dated Feb 2003 -- so this is pre-v1.10beta. Is it possible to cube magical bows in v1.09? What's the formula (note: disregarding the recipe rare + Soj + skulls which rerolls any rare items)?
The automod information is in automagic.txt. I must plead ignorance on the mechanics of the level requirements, though. I thought the clvl requirement of those affixes was waived, but I don't have any real information either way.

The reason amazon bows can only have 5 sockets is that in ItemTypes.txt, the MaxSock40 is 5. That is, regardless of how many sockets a specific type of amazon bow could have, amazon bows in general are capped at 5. I consider the inconsistency a bug, though it's debatable in which direction it should be fixed.

In 1.09 and 1.10, there's the recipe 3 perfect gems + magic item = rerolled magic item with the same ilvl. This recipe can reroll bows to have a second chance at getting the good affixes (if it has a high-enough ivl already). It's also nice for jewels and charms.
Low quality (i.e. "Cracked"), normal quality and high quality ("Superior") do not check for required level to use from the affix files and the automagic.txt is the third affix file. The level requirements for affixes will be checked for magical, rare, crafted and presumably tempered items. Set and Unique items do not get automods, so it does not matter in their case.
Thus the popularity of "white" rings.
Obi1.10Kenobi,Aug 3 2003, 04:30 PM Wrote:Thus the popularity of "white" rings.
Those hacked items are something else that does not involve the affixes, but rather the straight application of mods onto the item. The affix have level requirements and from one to three mods associated with each. The rings that you are referring to just have the mods directly applied without any of the "burden" of things like level requirements, restricted item type that they are allowed on or minimum required levels to allow them onto the items.
Quote:In 1.09 and 1.10, there's the recipe 3 perfect gems + magic item = rerolled magic item with the same ilvl. This recipe can reroll bows to have a second chance at getting the good affixes (if it has a high-enough ivl already). It's also nice for jewels and charms.

You can "re-roll" jewels and charms using a horadric cube recipe involving 3 perfect gems + (jewel/charm)?? Does this apply to magical and rare jewels and any charms?
Six P Skulls.

Charms, magical, get the 3 Perf Jewels treatment, I have used it on occasion to get a decent charm here and there.

I have not re rolled jewels, but I suspect they get the same treatment as other items. The higher the ilvl, basd on the mlvl of whoever dropped it, the higher the potential affixes.

Roll them bones.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
The recipe is exactly as I said. It takes a magic item and rerolls it with the same ilvl. So blue weapons, blue armours, blue rings, blue amulets, blue charms and blue jewels would all work, but yellow/green/white/orange/gold/grey items won't.

Rare items cannot be rerolled per se. There's no recipe that will retain the ilvl of a rare item and just get new affixes.

There is the recipe 6 perfect skulls + rare item = new rare item of same type. However, the ilvl of the output item is equal to floor(.4 * clvl) + floor(.4 * ilvl). This means that the ilvl could decay with repeated use. If you start out with an ilvl 99 item and reroll repeatedly with a clvl 99 character, it'll eventually drop to ilvl 65. If your clvl is lower than 99, it'll drop even more.

There's also the 1 perfect skull + 1 SoJ + rare item = new rare item of same type recipe. This has ilvl equal to floor(.66 * clvl) + floor(.66 * ilvl). So the ilvl there is more favourable; any high-level character could eventually get an item to ilvl 99. However, it's not feasible to do this with legitimate items.