single-player character item swapping
Is there anyway of swapping items between a characters in single player with 1 computer? I found some great stuff for my low lvl sorc with my lvl 70 paladin and i want to twink her up a bit.

I guess i could just edit the sorc and put the items in but i prefer to play in a semi-legit way ;)
clicky.

This is a replacement .dll that was designed for 1.09x, but works just as well with 1.10 beta if you need it to. It will allow you to have two instances of Diablo II running, so that one may host a TCP/IP game and the other may join it, allowing you to minimize back and forth between them in order to swap items.

This is my preferred method of "self-vaulting".
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Fast user switching in Windows XP works like a charm. No downloads required. Just host a TCP/IP game, fast switch to a different user, start up D2 normally, and join that TCP/IP game with a different character.
Olon97, that seems a nice trick (WinXP fast user switching). Will probably try that. I wonder if it will consume more memory than the d2gfx.dll 'hack' (that allows 2 or more copies to run). I tried the d2gfx.dll hack and I tried loading 3 (single-player/multi-player open) characters on one computer to transfer items themselves and it works. I have only 256Mb of memory.

I wonder if the fast-user switch would require more memory though (but at least no need for 'hacked' d2gfx.dll.
I've had trouble with the XP user-switch method. For some reason the character who joins the game started in the initial session is not being saved when he exits. The character from the first session, who hosts the game, is saved normally.

It obviously works for someone, but I'd suggest test first with a worthless item.
"Yog-Sothoth is the key to the gate, whereby the spheres meet. Man rules now where They ruled once, but after summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again."
- Abdul Alhazred

Warcraft characters
Stormrage:
- Naphta, 70 Warlock, 350 goblin engineer
- Xinth, 60 Warrior
Terenas
- Nezeramontias, 33 priest
- Boulderan, 13 shaman