If you can't design your own...
chorywory
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Wy skradliœcie *lurkerlounge.*com* strona pluskania i to wyrabia ludzie (lud; ludowy) *ste* w³¹czaj¹cy *webmaster* jed wy skradliœcie wasz¹ stronê pluskania przeznaczaæ (projektowaæ; projekt; projektowany)

good thing the translator writes in polish.
[Image: chandelier.gif]
[Image: greyson.jpg]
[Image: demtorch.gif]
Iolair,Aug 3 2003, 10:15 AM Wrote:I hope I simply misunderstood your word, and if that is so, I apologize.
You didn't

UK where I live is less economically developed than the US

Poland is less economically developed than the UK

Kenya and Pakistan (where I used to work) are less economically developed than Poland

Attitudes to copyright tend to change as more people in the country become producers rather than consumers. Production of copyright-ed material rises with the level of the economy

Quote:your post simply got out condescending and arrogant

the intention was to state the facts as I see them. Apologies to anyone who felt that I was being condescending
Brista,Aug 4 2003, 12:02 PM Wrote:UK where I live is less economically developed than the US

Poland is less economically developed than the UK
Hopefully next time you'll remember to add the missing word, ie. "economically".
From another perspective, Poland has a higher literacy rate than the US. Also has a far better basic education system. On average one would feel pretty safe to say, that Poland is more developed than the USA.
Economically, well with EU membership in 2004, it is quite likely, that Poland will enjoy greater economic growth than America in the near future. So perhaps one could say Poland is developing, while the Anglo-American world is stagnating? Creeping alzheimers on a national level, etc. ;)

Yes, terms like "developed country" and "tribal warfare" are some of my pet peeves. Even wrote a paper about European tribal warfare in the 20th century. (ie. the world wars)
Ironically the only time someone has e-mailed me for permission to use a piece of analysis I wrote they were Polish

I hope you're right about their economic future :)
Quote:...well with EU membership in 2004, it is quite likely, that Poland will enjoy greater economic growth than America in the near future.  So perhaps one could say Poland is developing, while the Anglo-American world is stagnating? Creeping alzheimers on a national level, etc.

Nay, I think not. They're just in a different stage of their economic development. The good ol' "law of diminishing returns" applies here.

As a nation becomes more economically developed, e.g., its capital stock increases, the value of an increase in capital by one unit diminishes at an ever-increasing rate. Thus, most of the most highly-industrialized countries in the world are experiencing growth slowdowns relative to developing/less economically advanced countries who initially experience immense growth rates.

A very simple example: assume that there is a working crew of 10 men digging holes and that the addition of one shovel will increase their production dramatically. Perhaps a shovel can dig four times as much dirt as can a man with bare hands. As more shovels are given to the work crew, the percentage growth in their output will drop with each additional shovel until it is no longer profitable to give them any more shovels at all.

1.)1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1 = 10
2.)4+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1 = 13 (30%)
3.)4+4+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1 = 16 (23%)
4.)4+4+4+1+1+1+1+1+1+1 = 19 (19%)
5.)4+4+4+4+1+1+1+1+1+1 = 22 (16%)
10.)4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4+1 = 37
11.)4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4 = 40 (8%)

If you consider Poland to be around, say, for the sake of argument, level five and the US to be around level ten, it's clear that, while the US produces almost twice as much output per capita, its growth rate is substantially lower than is that of Poland. (In this purely theoretical example)

EDIT: hyphenage
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Hi,

But I'm about to anyway, partially for the lesson but mostly for the humor.

Take the last two entries in your table:

10.)4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4+1 = 37
11.)4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4 = 40 (8%)

Now add another shovel. Makes no difference. There's a message there, and I think it applies. Sometimes you need to change what you add because just adding more of the same doesn't help.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Or a John Deere Tractor, and now we're getting somewhere.

Add two kegs of beer, on the other hand, and 44 glasses, and the effective work gets hit with a productivity reduction, although you do get to add 44 smiles to the equation. :D
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Sounds like somebody needs a vacation!

Reminds me of a furniture manufacturing job that I held for some six months last year. Every payday, several cases of beer would mysteriously find their way to the shop's lunchroom about half an hour before close. Luckily, there was no night shift on Fridays!
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Exactly, I'm not sure. But you can contact them, and give them a "10 day change or else" notification, then contact their site host. I know of two sites that have been such down this way over a *single* image... this guy is taking your concept, layout, artwork... the whole ball of wax.
Dix...

"Facta Non Grata"

[Image: dixen.gif]
Are you from poland?

It sounds like S/he (never figured out what you are, Brista. :)) was saying that as a not so commercial and corperate country, the concepts of intellectual property theft and copywrite infringement are not hanging offenses, or grounds for malicious hacking like they are in our's...
*Pren_LL-AB
USEast HC
Dark_Mutterings (Necromancer)
Doug_Winger (Wearbear)
Heroic career and 1.10 aspirations cut tragically short because NOBODY CAN DO ANYTHING WITH A 22.2K CONNECTION WHY DOES GOD HATE ME.
I'm a man and I'm from the UK

I have quite a lot of Polish acquaintances, both in real life and from gaming as well as a few close friends

I didn't mean it as a put-down

I do think however that reverence for copyright is very much tied to the role it plays in the economy and sadly Poland recieves very little revenue from copyrighted works despite having many talented and artistic people

I also think that to some extent the length of time the majority of the population has been exposed to the internet has some play

When the internet started here in the UK most people making web pages simply surfed till they found a site they liked then grabbed the code (via View Source) and had a play with it. I'm not talking about a long time ago - late 90s - and there really wasn't a strong sense of IP rights with regard to this stuff. As more and more of us have become content providers rather than content users the sense of ownership has emerged.

I can't really comment on conditions in Poland - my impressions have been gathered second hand and for people's anecdotal stories

I can comment on conditions in Kenya and Pakistan where I have worked. In both of these countries there is virtually no sense of ownership with regard to anything that can be easily copied whether electronically or on a photocopier
Hrm, many many posts between when I thought I replied and when I actually did. I guess I hit a timewarp and left the explorer window open while doing other stuff. Tense of my post would have been different taking the other replies into account. :huh:
*Pren_LL-AB
USEast HC
Dark_Mutterings (Necromancer)
Doug_Winger (Wearbear)
Heroic career and 1.10 aspirations cut tragically short because NOBODY CAN DO ANYTHING WITH A 22.2K CONNECTION WHY DOES GOD HATE ME.
Brista,Aug 7 2003, 10:14 AM Wrote:Ironically the only time someone has e-mailed me for permission to use a piece of analysis I wrote they were Polish

I hope you're right about their economic future :)
Heh, I think one of the few requests of permision to translate my guide was also from Poland (I think the others were Bulgaria or Rumania and some other country).
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
*scary*

I was just thinking the exact same thing.