please insert Expansion CD
diablo was working fine, till today. a please insert cd bug came up, i clicked retry many times but it didnt work. i went on blizzards and tried thier solutions but none of them worked. so if any of u know the solution, i would greatly appreciate it. i'm trying to play v1.09 and i am not using any no cd loaders.
You didn't mention if your playdisc was actually in your cd-drive, so check that first :P

Also, if you have multiple cd-drives try switching the cd to another drive.

Finally, if you take a look in your Diablo 2 folder, you'll notice two execute files, diablo2.exe and game.exe. I remember that running one of these on my old computer used to generate the nocd error, while the other worked just fine. So try them both.
yes my cd is in my cd drive :D

double clicking on game.exe doesnt do anyhting for me.
Have you tried checking the CD surface? It's possible scratches or something stuck to the surface might cause your CD Drive to mis-read it. Based on your account, I'd look towards the TOC spiral near the central hole most carefully.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
my cd's fine, no scratches at all.
I get this, too.
Here´s how it works for me: I wait untill I hear the CD has spun up, then hit the Retry button and no sooner.
If i do it to soon, the CD-check will presumably loop (dunno exactly, tho) and won´t read the CD at all.

Hope this helps

on wings of destiny
through virgin skies
to far horizons I will fly
This was posted last week - don't know if it is pertinent to you or not:

Quote:Does rebooting create a problem where the computer can no longer read the CD?
Diablo II and Warcraft III Users:

Many customers have reported they could play the game, but after rebooting their machines, they received the "Please verify your CD is in the drive" error message. After reinstalling the game they could play but rebooting would create the problem all over again. You should not have to reinstall the game every time you want to play.

We have found a couple of programs that may be creating this problem. These programs include Kazaa and Kazaa Lite.

If you are experiencing this type of problem, please try uninstalling Kazaa, uninstall the game, reinstall the game, and then patch the game. Please note that removing Kazaa alone will not fix the problem - you need to reinstall the game after removing Kazaa. This solution may not work for everyone, but we have received many reports confirming this has helped
This happened to me once, after Diablo was working fine, and I found it was caused by a virus. You might want to run a virus checker and see. I've also spoken to others that the same virus had the same effect.
do u know what the virus was called?
I get this on occasion. Blizzard, in all of their wisdom, actually has "defrag and scandisk" as part of the solution to "fix" assertion errors... what's sad is that it actually works. So, when I defrag, I always get an error that the disk isn't in the drive, even when it is. Rebooting actually fixes it for me.

D2 isn't the only game where I have issues with the cd not being in the drive. It's a problem with Windows itself.
ok fixed this, it was indeed a virus, but i was able to fix it. thx for all the help.