Optimizing Skill- and Synergy-Levels
So, new version is online. The link is in my signature.

I plan a field where you can enter the monsters resistance so Cold Mastery can be factored in. How is CM handled when the resistance is above 100? I think I've read that in this case only one fifth is actually subtracted. So suppose with all my items, mastery, etc I reduce the monsters cold resistance by 60. So 95 will be reduced to 35, 30 to -30 and 110 to 98. Is that correct?

The Mad Scientist
A stroke from the brush does not guarantee art from the bristles

ckeck out my Skillcalculator
As of the current beta, cold mastery has no effect at all against cold-immunes.
adeyke,Aug 19 2003, 02:48 PM Wrote:As of the current beta, cold mastery has no effect at all against cold-immunes.
AFAIK, it does have effect, and and I am pretty sure that Mad Scientist is right about how it works, but the Cold Resistance of monsters that were supposed to be Cold Immune was set so high, that you will need Cold Mastery at levels that are unreacheable with any possible type of equipment - something to the extent of 300-400 cold resistances. Still, this would be useful against bosses who got Cold immunity through some of their attributes.

@Mad Scientist

I see the checkbox is there =) Although it would be nice if the %elemental damage that can come from items was also added to the calculator (as it would also impact the decision as to where to put the skill points)
You are mistaken.

Except for Gargoyle Traps (1,000 cold resistance in hell) and Frozen Abyss (210 in hell), all cold immunes are in the range of 100-200. And none of these are affected by cold mastery.

I had modded zombies in normal difficulty to have exactly 100 cold resist and couldn't hurt them with a 20/20 frozen orb. IIRC, Ruvanal did a similar test with slvl 99 cold mastery with the same result. Surely that indicates there's some sort of problem with piercing immunities.
While adeyke is correct in the 1.1s patch, it is assumed that CM will directly subtract from immunities in the final release. The question is whether or not it functions at 20% effectiveness (as LR and Conviction do). WIth conviction, only monster up to 129% res cold immune monsters can be broken (conviction is capped at 150%), which isn't many monsters.

Of course, no one knows for certain what will happen in the final release, so it is all still guess work.

Quillan
Thanks for the update.

One request I have for a future addition: let there be a checkbox so the user can specify the calculator shouldn't allow points in Mastery when calculating optimal point distribution... that is, the character is under level 30 and unable to have it.
Shameless self-promotion!

Version 0.5 of my faboulus skill optimizer is now online with a lot of absolutely new and incredibly useful features!

The Mad Scientist
A stroke from the brush does not guarantee art from the bristles

ckeck out my Skillcalculator
You then need to consider spell timers, as Spammin' Spells only applies to some spells at all.

I'd say his calc is focused on the min max build aims in damaged produced irrespective of speed, whereas your question has to deal with both equipment choices and stat point allocation. That is a whole different topic!
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Where are the amazon javelin/spear skills?

Really important for my new javazon build :P
*Pren_LL-AB
USEast HC
Dark_Mutterings (Necromancer)
Doug_Winger (Wearbear)
Heroic career and 1.10 aspirations cut tragically short because NOBODY CAN DO ANYTHING WITH A 22.2K CONNECTION WHY DOES GOD HATE ME.