Open Wounds in V1.10 Beta
After muling over some tastey elite uniques for my friend's Beta Test Barbariann (lvl99), we decided to test some PvP out in the blood moor with my lvl 66 Berzerker Barb.

Cutting to the chase..... the 25% open wounds on my "Beast" runeword Axe almost drained the lvl 99 Barb's whole life orb. We got him a "Malice" bastard sword for more testing (has 100% OW).
I let him hit me with it once and watched my life drain from 1548 to 36!
I'm not a PvP'er, but it seems to me that Open Wounds will be a new standard for any PvP set up.

After learning this, I remembered that quite often while questing I would Whirl Wind thru a pack and before I made a second pass a few monsters would walk away and just fall over dead. I can only assume it was the Open Wounds.

I was a big fan of OW before, just for the "blood fountains", but in v1.10 I think it will be quite effective too! Me like very much. :D
so you're saying with 100% OW you can take down anything that's not physical immune in 1 hit?
Bhima,Jul 29 2003, 04:12 PM Wrote:After muling over some tastey elite uniques for my friend's Beta Test Barbariann (lvl99), we decided to test some PvP [...] We got him a "Malice" bastard sword for more testing (has 100% OW).
I let him hit me with it once and watched my life drain from 1548 to 36!
Spirea's Open Wounds calculator

suggests about 363 points of damage, rather than 1500. My best guess would be that this means open wounds got tweaked up in the v1.10 beta without making a note of it in the patch readme.

If indeed, as diabloii.net reports, open wounds runs for 4 seconds and stops regen during that time, then I'd say, given increased monster regen in v1.10 beta, that the additional method of stopping regen (e.g. especially vs. poison immunes) is ultimately more worthy of note than the quadrupling of damage for OW 1.09 vs. 1.10.
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits
Sounds like this needs more testing.

Reading code and coming up with equations to calculate damage isn't quite my forte, But I can go out and smash some stuff and see if it works. :blink:

So far I can tell you that I got hit once with a Malice Bastard Sword (damage was around 30-50 iirc). Then we both watched my life orb drain for around 1500 total damage. Will that kill any monster?? Sure! as long as they only have 1500 hit points. :)

I'll try more monster-chopping with my trusty Axe and this time I'll let a few bleed to death to get a feel for how it's working.
Would be nice to see if you get numbers for lower level chars and against monsters.

As this might be that now summation from these:

Open wounds has no PvP penalty in 1.10?
OPen wounds damage would be about 4x than in 1.09 (different levels would be enough to check whether base damage is upped)?
No resistances affect the OW?
Was the duration changed from 4 secs?

Should it now work against PIs in 1.10?

And check if it kills about that hp monsters in games.

Of course that damage increase is not enough to make monsters die with one hit when playing 8 player games but is significant side effect for those. However it is allways the same damage and you cannot increase it. 1500 in 4 secs is decent damage, however 1500 average damage per hit is quite easy to achieve and getting more than 9 hits per 4 secs is too. Thing that affects this most is different penalties and resistances.

Just couple things that i would like to know for 1.1, as these are known for 1.09.

RF

PS. Beware if these are done on trainer chars with imported items, as those are not allways working like they should in beta tests.
http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/in...t=0#entry308904

ps. Yes, it's done on a trainer char with imported items. If that alters the validity for you, so be it.

Character in the linked post is wielding "Malice" (Ith + El + Eth") Claws which have 100% Chance to cause Open Wounds. Open Wounds is applied through Blade Fury and occasionally Dragon Claw finisher.
I have noticed that if you use imported items very odd results may occur.

This needs more study in my humble opinion.

Regards, Hunky
I am famous for my Memory - I have no Memory
I'll agree with that. I normally don't have any issues with imported items, but the "Malice" claw is acting wierd.

I'd certainly love some corobboration of my own experiences.
RedFin,Jul 30 2003, 03:23 AM Wrote:Would be nice to see if you get numbers for lower level  chars and against monsters.

As this might be that now summation from these:

Open wounds has no PvP penalty in 1.10?

That seems to be the case, which I assume, and seriously hope, is a bug.
Quote:OPen wounds damage would be about 4x than in 1.09 (different levels would be enough to check whether base damage is upped)?
No resistances affect the OW?

That was the case in 1.09, and from my experience, the case in 1.1 as well. Physical or poison or other resists do not affect it.

Quote:PS. Beware if these are done on trainer chars with imported items, as those are not allways working like they should in beta tests.

I have used imported items from noobie's created chars, and achieved the same results.
A couple other points about Open Wounds can be found here.

http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/in...ST&f=56&t=29747
Well, if 1.10 is released with Open Wounds functioning this way, and it isn't explicitly mentioned in the Readme, then I'm going to regard it as an exploit and not use it in PvM.

But you can definitely count on me keeping a Malice weapon on my secondary weapons tab, for when the game-destroying PKs come a-knocking.

:lol:
Cryptic,Jul 31 2003, 05:13 PM Wrote:But you can definitely count on me keeping a Malice weapon on my secondary weapons tab, for when the game-destroying PKs come a-knocking.

:lol:
Until you meet a zon pk with dracul grasp gloves.
If an Amazon manages to find Dracul Grasp on the ladder realms and happens to hunt me down while I'm in a mood to stand and fight, then I'd daresay that she earned the kill.
;)
Cryptic,Aug 1 2003, 06:47 PM Wrote:If an Amazon manages to find Dracul Grasp on the ladder realms and happens to hunt me down while I'm in a mood to stand and fight, then I'd daresay that she earned the kill.
;)
LOL, that's no lie!
Riphook.

33% Open Wounds.

Let's hope the Open Wounds gets a better scrub, eh? :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Aug 3 2003, 11:12 PM Wrote:Riphook.

33% Open Wounds.

Let's hope the Open Wounds gets a better scrub, eh? :)
AND slows target by 30%, making it harder to catch up to you. And much easier to find then the said gloves. And higher chance to cast OW then the gloves. Yes, thank you Occhi, I think this carries my point much better.

It's not as much the damage of the open wounds it seems, but rather the fact that the damage is not affected by the pvp penalty at all. (1500 pvm damage, 1500 pvp damage...)