Leech in Hell in 1.10
First the explanation:

The 1.10 leech is cut to a half in Nightmare and a third in Hell

It is then affected by the monsters leech resistance, called "Drain" in the game files. Drain 20 means only 20% is leeched

It is also affected by the monster's physical resistance.

So for instance a Zombie on the Hell Blood Moor (Drain 50, Damage Resistance 50%) would allow leech as follows

/3 for difficulty
/2 for drain resistance
/2 for physical resistance

So leech is cut to 1/12th against this particular monster type. (This I'm pretty sure of )

Now the speculation

People have reported that they are not leeching at all. I think this may be the game rounding down. So 11% leech against those zombies = 11/12, which rounds down to zero. This is just speculation on my part
Brista,Jul 28 2003, 01:20 PM Wrote:First the explanation:

The 1.10 leech is cut to a half in Nightmare and a third in Hell

It is then affected by the monsters leech resistance, called "Drain" in the game files. Drain 20 means only 20% is leeched

It is also affected by the monster's physical resistance.

So for instance a Zombie on the Hell Blood Moor (Drain 50, Damage Resistance 50%) would allow leech as follows

/3 for difficulty
/2 for drain resistance
/2 for physical resistance

So leech is cut to 1/12th against this particular monster type. (This I'm pretty sure of  )

Now the speculation

People have reported that they are not leeching at all. I think this may be the game rounding down. So 11% leech against those zombies = 11/12, which rounds down to zero. This is just speculation on my part
I think it works as follows Brista :

10% Leech, Physical Damage of 300 average.

Leech is cut to a third in Hell

10 * 0.33 = 3

The Monster has 50% drain, I speculate that comes into the calculation as follows :

3 * 0.5 = 1

So you will leech 1% of your Physical Damage from the Monster.

Physical Damage is cut in half by the 50% Physical Resistance the Monster has so :

300 * 0.50 = 150

1% of 150 = 1 point leeched.

I think 1 point leeched can be considered as zero when compared to the cost some skills/spells used have.

In practice with the right amount of leech and monster combo's you could end up with zero leech.
Which is intentional I guess.

Just my assumption,

Regards, Hunky
I am famous for my Memory - I have no Memory
HunkyDory,Jul 28 2003, 04:47 PM Wrote:3 * 0.5 = 1
Isn't that 1.5?

and 1.5% from 150 is supposed to be 2.25... unless I'm incredibly wrong.
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
All values from calculations are truncated in the game including intermediate results.

Only exception to this is somewhere in the Magic Find Department according to Ruvanal.

Regards, Hunky
I am famous for my Memory - I have no Memory
Heiho,

within your described situation a player will maybe not notice a positive effect of the leech staring at the Mana-fe-reservoir, but there will still be a leeching animation.

The point is, the nerf leeching gains against physical resistancies can't be inserted correctly the way you do in the nerfing formula, because a char will still gain the full leech from aforesaid Zombie, but the char will do only half of his (physical) damage - this is a completely other reason for less leeching than the difficulty penalty on leech itself.
Of course, in the end its an approximation, but it is not correct to cut leech down to no effect by this formula.

Given 11% Leech from equip.
Hell Penalty 1/3 => 3% Leech left
Drain 50% => 1% Leech left

This will still cause leeching, even as Hunky said above an only poor amount.
At last there is physical resistance, which will cut down your damage _and_therefore_ the resulting leech. Poorer, but not nonexistent.
so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB
Which suddenly makes the ability for a mêlée-er the chance to cast Life Tap (via Dracul's Grasp or an Exile Shield) worth more than a passing fancy. The question is then raised that when Life Tap is cast against previously "Unleechable" targets (like crunchy undead), how does the curse tip the numbers?

Also, the "obscene" amounts of Life Steal that Feral Rage can achieve now seem to be necessary, instead of overdone. 100%+ Life Steal cooks down rather quickly when you take all the aspects that affect it into consideration.

*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
AFAIK, life tap isn't considered leech, so it doesn't get any of the leech penalties (except, of course, the reduction from physical resistance).

I know life tap works fine against crunchy undead, so it at least ignores the monster-specific part of it.