I just finished Deus Ex.
Bolty,Jul 27 2003, 03:03 PM Wrote:Glad you loved it, WarBlade - now you see what all the fuss was about!  :)

My first time through, I chose the Helios ending -  I do believe that a machine can run things better than humans ever could, in a way, if it were advanced enough.

-Bolty
Ahhhh the spoiler!! It burns, it burns!!
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
... Not to mention he confused me with WarBlade.

I mean, Bolty, of all people. Sheesh. <_<
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Maybe you and Warblade should be known as WarBlocks
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Well, yesterday I cheated. I played before my calculus final :P. I took the helicopter back to the base and found a aug upgrade canister and an aug canister. I installed silent walking and ballistic protection (boy, was I glad I did). I got my objectives to go to Hong Kong (and I learn a lot about Agent Simons(?)). Instead, Jock takes me to the hotel where Paul is. I talk to Paul and learn some more information :o. Then I go outside into the hotel and run into JoJo, he doesn't want to talk. I follow him downstairs to the hotel manager and his daughter, then I see him pull out a pistol and try to shoot the daughter after the conversation, I promptly empty 1 shotgun shell into his head. No one else seems to want to talk, so I go to the place where Paul told me to. I look everywhere for the hatch but could not seem to find it. so I just went upstairs to the computer, hacked it, and sent the signal. After that, Simons(?) told me he told the troops to kill me :o !? I start mowing down UNATCO soldiers, either sniping or using the assault rifle (favorite gun next to the sniper rifle). I make my way back to the hotel an talk to Paul again. Then UNATCO wants the door open, just about everyone is my enemy now <_<. And that's where I quit without saving...on purpose, I want to find that hatch. And I need to find my way back to battery park, which I think is through the airport....

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
The hatch Paul mentions, if memory serves, can only be opened from a computer room in the basement of the building. Unless I'm confused and he meant the one by/under the boxes? The layout of the building changes between the times that you visit it. If Paul mentioned it being hidden under boxes, you'll have to hack it open from a terminal on the second floor (I think...) and the hatch itself is inside at ground level, in the kind of half-room off to the side with all the shipping boxes.

After you deal with the little party at Paul's apartment, he tells you how to get to Battery Park. Oh and also, don't worry if you get "killed" in the fracas. It's the one point in the game (that I know of) that "dying" doesn't end the game.
Ah crap, then it's in that room where I have no more lock picks to get into <_<. When I went back to Paul's apartment, the party came, but I went out the window and up, instead of down :blink:. Should I go to the door and deal with the party? and not run?

Chicago wargaming club
There are two ways to exit the 'Ton: through the front doors, or through the window.

SPOILER
If you leave the 'Ton through the window, Paul dies. If you exit through the doors (whether or not all the enemies are dead) he lives.
Quote:After you deal with the little party at Paul's apartment, he tells you how to get to Battery Park. Oh and also, don't worry if you get "killed" in the fracas. It's the one point in the game (that I know of) that "dying" doesn't end the game.

Is it possible to get out of there without dying? I can't remember ever trying that.
Feryar,Jul 31 2003, 05:27 PM Wrote:
Quote:After you deal with the little party at Paul's apartment, he tells you how to get to Battery Park. Oh and also, don't worry if you get "killed" in the fracas. It's the one point in the game (that I know of) that "dying" doesn't end the game.

Is it possible to get out of there without dying? I can't remember ever trying that.
>> Is it possible to get out of there without dying? I can't remember ever trying that.

Mini-Spoilers, I guess:

It is not possible to leave the area by the subway to meet up with Jock. While it is possible to leave the 'Ton alive and make it into the Battery Park subway station past Agent Navarre (Navarre is kill-able), you will run into Agent Hermann and will be surrounded by UNATCO forces. Hermann is flagged as invulnerable at this point, such that he cannot be defeated at this time and you will be captured. This has been verified by turning on the invulnerability cheat (which I don't know, but I'm sure it's easy to find). You must "die" and be captured to continue the game.

I just restarted again, this time going for pistols, and I have just been captured myself.
Semi spoilers might be ahead

-

-

--

-

I've never managed to save paul, even when I killed all the enemies in the 'ton and walked out of the door. He's always dead for me :/

The stunner is one of the best weapons in the game - it takes out a MIB in one shot, if you're stealthy. I almost always use it for MIB's, unless I can snipe them from a safe range. Once the MIB goes down, you can use him/her (was a long time since I last played, can't remember if there's female MIB's) as an explosive - take the body and carry it to the place you wanna blow, then hit it some :) presto, bomb.

I wanted to play Deus Ex again, but when I tried to put it in the player i accidentally put in in the smaaall slip between my two CD-players (the top one is of the "slip-in" type, and I wasn't looking at what I was doing) ... so it's stuck in the computer, I'm to lazy to retrieve it and it'll prolly be mucho scratcho when I do get it out :/
Wretched is the man who values flag over humanity.

Monkeycid@theamazonbasin.com
WarLocke,Jul 30 2003, 03:48 PM Wrote:...&nbsp; Not to mention he confused me with WarBlade.

I mean, Bolty, of all people.&nbsp; Sheesh.&nbsp; <_<
I suck!

Also, I thought this was the "I'm done with Deus Ex, now let's talk all about it" thread. Oops.

I can make up for it by calling you 'Locke, right?

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Quote:Also, I thought this was the "I'm done with Deus Ex, now let's talk all about it" thread. Oops.

Well, it kinda did turn out that way, neh?

Quote:I can make up for it by calling you 'Locke, right?

Aww, you always know just what to say!*

* not ghey
"I've never managed to save paul, even when I killed all the enemies in the 'ton and walked out of the door. He's always dead for me :/"

Originally when I played the game I thought it was impossible to save paul, like there is no way at all.
Then my 2nd time I just used the GEP gun (or lam..Cant remember..) and threw it in the hall as the MIBS were running in. The resultings explosions killed everyone and saved Paul.
Nothing actually happens if you save him, which I found really dissapointing. He doesn't comlink you or anything cool like that.
Yes he does. He appears on the holograph-thing on Area51, in addition to meeting him inside MJ12-HQ
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Tonight is the night. I will try it again, and see what happens. Any suggestions when walking out the door? I have already killed Agent Navarre, did that when I was talking to Lebedev and she killed him. I have two LAMs in my inventory. Should I walk out with a LAM and toss them hoping that the resulting explosions kill lotsa people :P ? Then take out the assault rifle and shoot away?

Chicago wargaming club
Here's what I suggest. It's kind of borderline-cheating, but if you've heard the rumors about a UNATCO raid I think JC may be suspicious enough to do this.

Before going inside the room to talk to Paul, place a LAM on the outside of his doorframe (on the right, about head-level). Also place a gas grenade on the doorframe of the next room down the hall (left side of frame if you're looking at it). Then, when the troops show up after you've talked with Paul, one of the MiBs will try to open the door, which sets off the LAM (it usually doesn't kill him, but he'll be hurt). At the same time the other clump of troops (3 or 4 UNATCO troopers and 2 MiBs, IIRC) will set off the gas grenade and become sitting ducks.

What you do after that depends. If you have LAMs (or 20mm ammo) to spare you can lob one out the door to take out the first MiB fast. If you kill him quickly, you should have time to run out of the room and snipe some of the gassed troopers before the cloud dissipates. Or again, have fun with LAMs/20mm.

The rest of the area is mostly improvisation. There's a UNATCO sniper on the second-floor balconty, 5 or 6 troopers wander around in the main area downstairs, and there's usually one in the office and the little room by the elevator. There's also 2 or 3 near the ATMs.

I've tried placing explosives around the ground floor, but whether they get triggered is a hit-or-miss thing. The troops in the foyer have a tendency to clump at the foot of the stairs once they see you or Paul, though, so once again explosives or gas grenades work well here. Other than that I basically treat the troopers as assault rifle fodder.

Two things to note about Paul during this area. I'm pretty sure he's invulnerable during this sequence - I don't have any proof, but I've heard it mentioned and seen him take 2 MiB blasts without flinching. So I wouldn't be surprised if you could just hide in his bathroom or something while he kills all the enemies. Also, don't shoot him. If you so much as wing him, he'll turn hostile and perforate your butt. :blink:

Oh, and don't worry about the Rentons. The UNATCO troops kick them out of the hotel before they assault the room, so you can blow stuff up without worrying about civilians.
First question, what is an MiB? Man in Black <_< ? Would a shoutgun with some sabot shellshelp to take out aforementioned MiB? Hmmm...this sounds like one of those time where I need to put some loud music in my CD player (read Dropkick Murphys, Trapt: Still Frame is my favorite song, Taproot, etc...) and just take it as it goes. Bah! Why do I have work today! And why did I schedule a haircut! I hate real life! (not really :P)

I had the experience of getting my butt perforated by Navarre. My shotgun rounds didn't go where I told them to at the castle thing. I think I might have to turn on my ballistic protection aug and actually use some of my augs :P

Chicago wargaming club
Everything you wanted to know about Deus Ex: http://www.it-he.org/deus.htm

This is like, the Deus Ex bible.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
This is what I did. I found my way into the hatch, killed the guys, etc, etc. Got back to Pauls room and planted the grenades. I can confirm that Paul is invulnerable when fighting the MiBs. I escaped and found my way to the subway. However, I am having one helluva time trying to get out of the MJ12 HQ. More tries later.

Chicago wargaming club
I finally made it out of the MJ12 facility, only to find myself in the UNATCO HQ :o :blink: . I found some aug upgrades and aug canisters. I now have a spydrone, and regeneration. I also have ballistic protection at tech 3. Gettting my equipment back was probably the hardest part. After that, is was just blast my way out, and I killed a MiB all by myself :) Then I get on the copter to go to Hong Kong and get captured again :angry: . I got the copter working again and the bots came out. So I waited until they were on the helipad riser things, and made them go to the roof where I didn't have to deal with them :) I calmly walked out into Hong Kong and was told I have 12 hours to live :blink:. Now, I'm trying to contact Tracer Tong.

Chicago wargaming club