That didn't take long
Just saw a post on alt.games.diablo2 wrt the most popular cheat program used for D2.
It seems that it has been updated for 1.10, that didn't take long at all. Sigh.

Now I don't know how much talent is required to create hacks, but we'd all be better off is these people would use that talent for something constructive.

So, if people want to cheat in single player that's their business, fill yer boots, no skin off my butt ( just don't claim that you've accomplished anything in D2 because if you have to cheat to do it it's not an accomplishment ).

Hopefully Blizzard will really do something to prevent this from continuing to work on Bnet.
Some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything but you just can't help but smile when you see them tumble down the stairs.

The rust storm itself will be a great move by Blizzard. That says to me that if they're willing to do that, they're willing to do whatever they can to prevent cheating, even if it pisses off lots and lots and lots of people.
[Image: ignatzsig.gif]
What exactly is this "rust storm"? I keep hearing "OMG! Rust storm! CEHATERS=PWN3D!!" but never get any actual information on exactly what this thing is going to do and how it'll do it. Is it some sort of program that examines the id numbers of items and zaps duplicates at regular intervals? There would be ways around that with all the cubing and whatnot, unless an item id survives a trip through the cube...

Anyway, i'm hopeful that Blizz will deal with cheaters, but so far "rust storm" is vaporware. Let me see the product, then i'll decide.
"Rust Storm" is Blizzard's name to what they're going to do to the hacked(/duped?) items on the realms, no one gave you information about it because no one has any.
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
TaiDaishar,Jul 24 2003, 08:13 PM Wrote:"Rust Storm" is Blizzard's name to what they're going to do to the hacked(/duped?) items on the realms, no one gave you information about it because no one has any.
That's my point. Perhaps i was a little obtuse about it, though. Blizzard is "marketing" this "rust storm" feature, but they haven't even told us what it does other than some vague implication that it kills off dupes.

Let's hold our applause until we see it in action.
They aren't telling you what it does because they are smart enough to realise that someone somewhere might figure out a way around it. This is closed bnet, and when it gets rid of all the dupes and hacks they will be gone for good -- no restoring. Rust Storm will probably be very effective, but that effectiveness could be significantly diminished if someone figured out a way to beat it.

All blizzard has to do is keep rust storm going a month. After that, the mules holding all the dupes will be nuked from inactivity if the players are unable to sign on for fear of losing items.
Hi,

All blizzard has to do is keep rust storm going a month. After that, the mules holding all the dupes will be nuked from inactivity if the players are unable to sign on for fear of losing items.

Three months. And I suspect someone *will* figure out a way to beat it.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Hey, at least they've given it cool name. Right?
Why the assumption that a character has to enter a game before this would take effect. All this stuff in in databases, what's to prevent a scanning and cleaning of ALL characters over the course of an evening?
"Yog-Sothoth is the key to the gate, whereby the spheres meet. Man rules now where They ruled once, but after summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again."
- Abdul Alhazred

Warcraft characters
Stormrage:
- Naphta, 70 Warlock, 350 goblin engineer
- Xinth, 60 Warrior
Terenas
- Nezeramontias, 33 priest
- Boulderan, 13 shaman
Hi,

Why the assumption that a character has to enter a game before this would take effect.

I didn't make that assumption. I just pointed out that if someone did make that assumption, then the time is three months (or ninety days), not one month as stated.

All this stuff in in databases, what's to prevent a scanning and cleaning of ALL characters over the course of an evening?

What, indeed? However, since Buzzard has said this is an ongoing process, it is not unreasonable to think that the time span might have something to do with the characters being used. Perhaps the check has been built into the game start or end code, where the code for the generation of items is readily available. To do a scan of the databases would require that the generation code be pulled out of the program so that the items could be checked. Assuming that D2 is the typical Buzzard spaghetti code (their own admission in previous cases), perhaps pulling the item generation bits out is not realistic.

Whatever. Since I did not make the assumption, perhaps you reply to the post of those that did.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

My apologies. I didn't mean to imply you were making the assumption (even though, on second thought, it did sound that way). I have seen this stated before and often wondered about it.

As to your reasoning, this may well be the case.
"Yog-Sothoth is the key to the gate, whereby the spheres meet. Man rules now where They ruled once, but after summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again."
- Abdul Alhazred

Warcraft characters
Stormrage:
- Naphta, 70 Warlock, 350 goblin engineer
- Xinth, 60 Warrior
Terenas
- Nezeramontias, 33 priest
- Boulderan, 13 shaman
Nebuul,Jul 24 2003, 10:28 PM Wrote:They aren't telling you what it does because they are smart enough to realise that someone somewhere might figure out a way around it.  This is closed bnet, and when it gets rid of all the dupes and hacks they will be gone for good -- no restoring.  Rust Storm will probably be very effective, but that effectiveness could be significantly diminished if someone figured out a way to beat it.

All blizzard has to do is keep rust storm going a month.  After that, the mules holding all the dupes will be nuked from inactivity if the players are unable to sign on for fear of losing items.
If figuring out what it does is a vital part of "defeating" this new thing then i'd seriously question whether it'll last more than a week or two anyway.

Now, i guess i don't really need to know- but i'm not being convinced this is going to do any good.

As far as the dupes being zapped by inactivity... what makes you think that? See, that's the problem i've got- nobody knows what this rust storm thing is (unless you do and just can't/won't let us know) but everyone's making assumptions that it's going to cleanse the realms of all non-legit play and bring about a new peaceful era of monster slaughter and make you lunch on top of that.
One of the most interesting aspects of the new realm will be to see whether Blizzard can finally get on top of the cheating and stay on top

If they can't then everything else - new Ladder seasons, balance by rarity, increased difficulty - is incidental. The Ladder and the public games will be dominated by those who cheat, leaving the rest of us to shelter in private games

I am actually quietly optimistic that they may do reasonably well. I'd settle for a shift in the general player attitude so that most people don't cheat and if you trade for a high-end item it is reasonable to assume it's legit.

Where they discussed it was in this fan-site chat:
http://www.blizzard.com/diablo2exp/chat/030619.shtml
Well, personally, i don't think the fact that it's ongoing/happens over a period of time implies that it has to do with characters being used at all. I suspect it has something to do with the new patch assigning every item a unique identification (or maybe that already happens) that doesn't change when an item goes through the HCube or some such. This would all be on the bnet servers so there's no way the h4xxx0rz could actually get at it. Then there would be a small program that ran thorugh every set of items and when it found duplicate indentifications (implying, though not necessarily proving duping) it would either nail the duplicates or mark them for double checking (presumably with server logs or something along else). That would probably get at least half the dupes right there. More sophisticated checking could be done based on other methods, but that seems to be the easiest way.

The reason it'd be over time, though, is because there are LOTS of items to check. Now, when you're dealing with a hundred or even a thousand files it might seem easy to do this- but when you're dealing with two million items (or even more) then comparing one against all the rest takes time. Even if you have beefy computers.
I know how to remove 95% of the hacks.

"<Blizzard_Rep> Who here has hacks?"
"<leet-alskfj> me wut u got 4 them??????//"

:D That's my elaborate security system.
Obi1.10Kenobi,Jul 25 2003, 03:09 PM Wrote:I know how to remove 95% of the hacks.

The worst part is that would probably work :rolleyes:
Obi1.10Kenobi,Jul 25 2003, 03:09 PM Wrote:I know how to remove 95% of the hacks.

Oh my god, such a brilliant idea!

Give this man a cookie!
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
Can it be a peanut butter cookie? :wub: (Note: the smilie is directed at the cookie)
Obi1.10Kenobi,Jul 27 2003, 07:49 PM Wrote:Can it be a peanut butter cookie? :wub: (Note: the smilie is directed at the cookie)
No, you know what peanut butter gives you, only dried fruit cookies for you.:)
Um.. peanut is a fruit!

Right? :huh:

Anyway, back on topic, how would it do it when the game starts, unless two people with the dupe are in the same game/a person has multiple duplications of the item on their char?